Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Print Wikipost

US based Union Pay card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Did you get your UnionPay card from US? I noticed that you are UK based.
Yeah, I got it from the US. I'm an expat over here.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6, DL, UA, AGR
First attempt at US domestic use was a total fail. Attempted chip, which failed as expected, swipe fallback didn't work due to busted CVS point of sale system. Tried twice with the same results each time. Going to try a few more merchants, but need to meet that minimum spend requirement!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by uklevi
Yeah, I got it from the US. I'm an expat over here.
How did you apply for a US card as a resident in the UK? Most US cards require you be resident to apply. It seems a non-issue but lying about this could get you in a host of legal trouble if you ever went bankrupt.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I can confirm the CVM list for the Union Pay card as: Signature, online PIN, no CVM. I thought Union Pay required Chip and PIN but maybe not?

@tmiw I think because it runs on the Union Pay network here and not on Discover's that's perhaps why it asks for a PIN with swipe transactions. I'm not sure though as I don't know all the technical details.
IIRC PIN's required to be on the card somewhere but it doesn't have to be at the top.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:58 pm

I can confirm the CVM list for the Union Pay card as: Signature, online PIN, no CVM. I thought Union Pay required Chip and PIN but maybe not?
Just to confirm before I update my site, this is one of the ICBC US UnionPay cards? http://www.icbc-us.com/ICBC/海外分行/工银美...secreditcards/
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Just to confirm before I update my site, this is one of the ICBC US UnionPay cards? http://www.icbc-us.com/ICBC/海外分行/工银美...secreditcards/
Those are indeed the cards. ^
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
IIRC PIN's required to be on the card somewhere but it doesn't have to be at the top.
Is PIN even available for this UnionPay card?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Is PIN even available for this UnionPay card?
Considering PIN was asked for with magstripe according to a post above, I'd say yes.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Considering PIN was asked for with magstripe according to a post above, I'd say yes.
They also ask for a 6-digit PIN when you activate the card.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Finally got my Preferred card today... took three weeks from application to arrival.

First, the good: no trouble activating as others had reported, or setting up the online banking, and they gave me a generous limit.

Next, the bad: the big question I (and I suspect many others) had was whether this would work with Alipay/WeChat Wallet/other online payments. It does not. WeChat recognizes it as a valid ICBC card, but fails at trying to verify the phone number and ID (likely at least in part because ICBC US doesn't have my passport number, nor the Chinese mobile linked to my WeChat). Alipay refuses to recognize it as a valid card number at all. "Direct" online payments through ICBC are initially promising—it even lets me to log in!—but then fail with an "overseas cards not supported" error in Chinese.

Other observations: the online banking lists this as a "dual currency card"—would be nice if that was true and they'd let me pay RMB balances in RMB, but it appears not to be. ICBC (China) says they will link it with my Chinese accounts "within 72 hours," but we shall see. All the customer service appears to be based in China. I strongly suspect that I'm the ~2000th person to get one of these, given the number.

I've reached out to friends at Alipay and Tencent to see if they have any tricks to make online payments for foreign UnionPay cards work, but I suspect this is hopeless in the near term.

Will need to wait until my next China trip to see how useful this really is, but with no annual fee, it probably doesn't hurt to hold on to it.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scifience
......ICBC (China) says they will link it with my Chinese accounts "within 72 hours," but we shall see......
Why bother with all these if you have a Chinese bank account? You can link your Chinese bank account to WeChat payment directly. I don't have, and doesn't want to open, a Chinese bank account.

Originally Posted by Scifience
.......I've reached out to friends at Alipay and Tencent to see if they have any tricks to make online payments for foreign UnionPay cards work, but I suspect this is hopeless in the near term......
Please keep us updated.

Last edited by TerryK; Dec 21, 2016 at 6:19 am
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Why bother with all these if you have a Chinese bank account? You can link your Chinese bank account to WeChat payment directly. I don't have, and doesn't want to open, a Chinese bank account.
I don't have a China-issued credit card; additionally, keeping a ton of RMB on hand given its downward trajectory doesn't feel like the smartest thing at the moment, and it's hard to do USD-RMB transfers remotely. The USD-denominated UnionPay card would in theory solve all of these, if it worked...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:58 pm

Anybody get this card yet? I applied in November, but haven't heard anything back.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by billatq
Anybody get this card yet? I applied in November, but haven't heard anything back.
Hello, billatq, a number of us already have the card in our possession. Did you apply online or in a branch? Did you receive instant approval?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:54 pm

Alipay, Wechat Pay both utilize direct debit to link the cards/accounts to their service, rather than using CUP network, most probably due to lower service fee.
Therefore it is not possible to link CUP cards issued outside Mainland China or use those card on Alipay/WeChat as if it were cards issued in Mainland China.

Even Alipay/Wechat Pay can link some cards of oversea banks, the use is greatly limited to payments of certain type.

However, the ICBC(US) credit card probably can be used on many sites that support CUP online payment, including 12306.cn(railway tickets), 10010.com(recharge Unicom mobile) , jd.com(online shopping),

Last edited by karlcheong; Dec 27, 2016 at 10:15 pm Reason: more accurate wording

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.