FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Cards with 0% APR Balance Transfers/Purchases, $0 Fees offers [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1663842-cards-0-apr-balance-transfers-purchases-0-fees-offers-consolidated.html)

BigLar Sep 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau (Post 25482067)
Convenience checks.

Sorry if it wasn't clear - yeah, that's what I was planning on.

Actually, when I had my roof done, the guy took credit cards, so I got a bunch of miles for that. Then I did a transfer to cover the cc charge, and paid the ZBT off over time at a lot smaller cost.

Re the fee: I was just using 5% as an example. I must admit, however, I've never gotten an offer less than 3%. 1-2% would sure pique my interest (no pun intended :)).

garykung Sep 27, 2015 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar (Post 25481384)
However, I've been told that if I don't pay the balance off in full by the end of the grace period, I will be charged interest on the entire original balance. Is this true?

No. Issuers use an important term to determine your exposure in term of interest - ADB: Average Daily Balance. For a post-offer BT, ADB is what your interest will be based on.

Originally Posted by BigLar (Post 25481384)
Knowing myself, there's a chance that some month I might forget or remember a couple of days late. What's my exposure on this?

IME, issuers rarely pull offers as soon as you make the payment back asap.

In some cases, you may be able to talk yourself out of the late fee as well.

trouble747 Sep 28, 2015 9:37 am

My Chase cards always offer 2%. My citi cards usually offer 3% but with a cap. Chase Slate will do initial transfers with no fee.

PakThomas Nov 26, 2015 10:11 am

Current best sign-up bonus on a card with 0% interest for 12-18 months

Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks.

mike2200 Nov 26, 2015 2:30 pm

Current best sign-up bonus on a card with 0% interest for 12-18 months

http://www.cardhub.com/credit-cards/0-apr/

nineworldseries Dec 12, 2016 1:06 pm

Annual fee hitting on a card carrying a 0% promo balance

Hi, this is likely a basic question, but I have no experience with paying CC interest, and I'd like to keep it that way, so please excuse me.

I have a small (~$300) balance on my Chase IHG card due to a convenience check balance transfer. It is at 0% until late 2018. However, I think I goofed and forgot about the annual fee ($49) that is due to hit on this card in early January.

Based on my limited understanding of how interest fees work, I assume that the minute that $49 annual fee hits, it will start accruing interest due to my 0% balance. I have not, of course, been spending on this card, and I would like very much to avoid paying any interest on the $49 annual fee.

Should I just pay off the $300 balance now or can I wait until the $49 fee posts and then make a payment of $49 to pay the fee off? Or, will the $49 accrue one day's (minimal, I know) worth of interest? Or, even worse, will the $49 payment go toward the 0% balance instead?

This is making my brain hurt, but it's also making me understand how credit cards make lots of money off of the public who doesn't fully understand how they work.

flyer4512 Dec 12, 2016 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries (Post 27601291)
Hi, this is likely a basic question, but I have no experience with paying CC interest, and I'd like to keep it that way, so please excuse me.

I have a small (~$300) balance on my Chase IHG card due to a convenience check balance transfer. It is at 0% until late 2018. However, I think I goofed and forgot about the annual fee ($49) that is due to hit on this card in early January.

Based on my limited understanding of how interest fees work, I assume that the minute that $49 annual fee hits, it will start accruing interest due to my 0% balance. I have not, of course, been spending on this card, and I would like very much to avoid paying any interest on the $49 annual fee.

Should I just pay off the $300 balance now or can I wait until the $49 fee posts and then make a payment of $49 to pay the fee off? Or, will the $49 accrue one day's (minimal, I know) worth of interest? Or, even worse, will the $49 payment go toward the 0% balance instead?

This is making my brain hurt, but it's also making me understand how credit cards make lots of money off of the public who doesn't fully understand how they work.

It's $300, just pay it off. The interest will be minimal even if charged so you could just let it work itself out and see what happens for future reference.

I don't pay interest and have no need for those 0% offers so I can't help

Oreto Dec 13, 2016 7:20 am

It's been a while but what I figure will happen in your situation is: Your annual fee will hit on x-day. Then, once your statement cuts, you can pay the minimum plus the interest as well as the annual fee on the first available day which should minimize the interest that you'll have to pay. There may be some interest carryover to the next month but it will probably amount to no more than 50¢. After that, it should be the same as before.

If you pay prior to the statement cut, the $49 payment might go to the $300 balance. Of course, if you contact Chase they should be able to give you the exact information that you seek.

I'm not sure how important it is to you but it looks like you've already paid the convenience fee for the advance so paying off the loan now will save you about $1-2 at most in interest from the annual fee. The advance is a small amount of money so I would personally pay it off but I wouldn't worry about the piddly amount of interest that you'll be charged deter you from keeping the advance as I'm sure there was a reason that you took it to start.

mia Dec 13, 2016 7:53 am

Overlapping discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-loanish.html

Happy Dec 13, 2016 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Oreto (Post 27604901)
It's been a while but what I figure will happen in your situation is: Your annual fee will hit on x-day. Then, once your statement cuts, you can pay the minimum plus the interest as well as the annual fee on the first available day which should minimize the interest that you'll have to pay. There may be some interest carryover to the next month but it will probably amount to no more than 50¢. After that, it should be the same as before.

If you pay prior to the statement cut, the $49 payment might go to the $300 balance. Of course, if you contact Chase they should be able to give you the exact information that you seek.

I'm not sure how important it is to you but it looks like you've already paid the convenience fee for the advance so paying off the loan now will save you about $1-2 at most in interest from the annual fee. The advance is a small amount of money so I would personally pay it off but I wouldn't worry about the piddly amount of interest that you'll be charged deter you from keeping the advance as I'm sure there was a reason that you took it to start.

There is some theory floating around that having a revolving balance and then pay it on time would improve one's credit score. Though my guess is, a tiny $300 revolving balance is not going to make any difference versus a $3K revolving balance might. Though I still doubt that theory because a revolving credit does not equate to a car loan or a mortgage - the latter 2 seem to indeed enhance one's score if one has a sterling payment record. Though having a very high score is only one factor of the whole equation on how one gets approved on various things. It "opens" the door but it never is the sole determinant factor that so many people seem to be obsessed with.

homerjsimpso Jul 6, 2017 1:25 am

Best 0% APR offer right now? 12-24 mos?

Hey FTers,

I'm looking for a 0% APR card right now , and ideally something that I won't have to cancel after the 0% promo period is up. I have a decent credit score in the low 700s (recovering after carrying a balance last month), and my latest application was in May for the Hilton Amex with no hard pull. Any advice on what is worth applying for? Ideally I'd like to avoid Chase as I'm waiting for another worthwhile bonus to use my 5/24 wisely.

Advice is kindly appreciated.

Thanks

trouble747 Jul 6, 2017 8:58 am

Chase considers all new accounts on your credit report (including non-chase cards), so you can't avoid 5/24 by avoiding Chase.

I would check out Citi's offerings. For example, Citi Simplicity is 0% for 21 months.

jan_believes Jul 7, 2017 8:24 pm

BOA's new plain vanilla card with a 0% APR would be next after the Citi Simplicity, IMHO, if you are avoiding Chase. The term would be shorter, however.

Shop your card carefully with regard to the after BT APR, as well.

robertw477 Aug 4, 2017 8:16 pm

Need Advice for some New Cards-Low BT Offers?

I have all of the usual suspects in most of the top cards and programs. Barclays, Citi, Amex, Chase, US Bank. Looking for some lesser known cards either business cards or personal cards that give generous lines to people with high credit scores and have a really strong BT offer for new customers, or offer very low BT officers. The initial bonus is not as important for me. Trying to create a little leverage for some possible business deals.

Thanks

tmiw Aug 5, 2017 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by robertw477 (Post 28649794)
I have all of the usual suspects in most of the top cards and programs. Barclays, Citi, Amex, Chase, US Bank. Looking for some lesser known cards either business cards or personal cards that give generous lines to people with high credit scores and have a really strong BT offer for new customers, or offer very low BT officers. The initial bonus is not as important for me. Trying to create a little leverage for some possible business deals.

Thanks

Santander has a 0% for 24 months BT offer going right now for one of their cards. I have no experience with them, however, so I don't know if they'd meet your other requirements.