FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Cards with 0% APR Balance Transfers/Purchases, $0 Fees offers [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1663842-cards-0-apr-balance-transfers-purchases-0-fees-offers-consolidated.html)

paramount Mar 22, 2012 9:52 am

Cards with 0% APR Balance Transfers/Purchases, $0 Fees offers [Consolidated]

Hey guys, I'm a medical student who is trying to bridge the end of my loan money to my first paycheck in the 2nd week of July durin my residency. So far, just paying my rent for my place in the next 4 months will take most of my budget. Also I plan on spending $1200 down on an engagement ring and I have to live!

I plan on getting a 0% APR and 0% balance transfer to be able to live until my paycheck. I do have about ~1000 on one card that I'd like to transfer. My credit is 750 per myfico.

Please advise on the best 0% APR/Balance transfer card.

Para

roki Mar 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Citi offers the Simplicity credit card at 18mo 0% APR and BT, but they will hit you with a one time 3% BT fee. The perk to that card is that if you're late on a payment, or anything along those lines, there's no late penalty. It's not a rewards card though.

The Chase Slate card I believe offers 15mo 0% APR and BT, with no BT fee.

The Citi Dividend Viso offer 0% APR and BT for 12 months with a 3% fee, but they have a $100 cashback offer and it is a cashback/rewards card.

sunk818 Mar 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Is Discover More still offering NO FEE BT with 0% APR for 12 months?

The way to avoid BT fee, if it is more than 0%, is to spend slowly on your credit card until you get near the max. You have to monitor to spending very closely so you don't overspend as credit card usage have higher averages according to marketing studies.

Your other option is to live more frugally. No take out, no Starbucks, cook in meals you can stretch, no bar time, etc. And then when you start making some money, continue to live like a student and pay off your student loans. I know some people that stretch their loans out for years and years because they think they somehow deserve a different life because they have a MD.

dreamfool Mar 22, 2012 12:16 pm

I think Slate probably will fit your needs.

Depending on which jeweler you are going to, some of them offer no interest for 6 or 12 months if you open & put the balance on the store card. Since you will have income in a few months I think this is also a fine short term solution.

paramount Mar 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Ended up getting the Chase Slate.. great deal with the no balance transfer fee. I also have chase checking so it will be easier to just monitor with a website I already go to.

I ALMOST got the citi Simplicity but really, I'll have the credit card payed off by the time the 0% apr is up, I just needed something to get me through the next 3.5 months.

roki Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 18258979)
Ended up getting the Chase Slate.. great deal with the no balance transfer fee. I also have chase checking so it will be easier to just monitor with a website I already go to.

I ALMOST got the citi Simplicity but really, I'll have the credit card payed off by the time the 0% apr is up, I just needed something to get me through the next 3.5 months.

It is a good offer, for sure. The checking makes it easier too, you're right. In your scenario I probably would have done the Slate, but possibly the Dividend card, because it still retains value as a cashback card after the promotional period, whereas the Slate is not a rewards card (I believe). Still, the money saved on the BT fee is worth something, for sure.

dabeags Dec 9, 2013 3:07 pm

Best 0% Interest Credit Cards/No Transfer Fee

I've racked up some CC debt due to a wedding and some unforeseen car costs most of which is on my Chase Freedom which has a 0% APR period about to expire. It won't be a problem paying it off over a year or so, but I don't want to keep getting hit with interest fees.

It looks like the Slate is running a introductory 0% period as well as waiving the transfer fee which could save me about 200 bucks which looks good. I wanted to check to make sure there were no cards out there doing a 0%/0 Transfer fees that possibly had some sign up bonuses. I doubt there is but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Thanks

skitch23 Dec 9, 2013 3:56 pm

Best 0% Interest Credit Cards/No Transfer Fee

Double check the T&C's but I don't think Chase will do a BT from one Chase product to another.

fL1Pm0d3 Dec 9, 2013 6:10 pm

You can BT to a Amex Blue card. You can choose any of them, some do have an annual fee but it is waived in year one.

I recommend if you already have another AMEX card to apply via a private/incognito window so you can see the deal. Most of the cards have the 3% fee.

They have 0% for 15 months on Purchases and BT.

jan_believes Jan 6, 2014 6:39 pm

I recommend you apply for Slate and a Capital One.

Reason:

You can BT from Slate to Cap One and back to Chase Freedom. As you know, Slate is good for 60 days for no fee BT and Cap One does not have one, either.

You may not receive a top APR rate on Cap One but that works well toward discouraging any "gotcha" spending.

I did this a bit to cover my minimum spend on the Chase WN RR Visa so I could receive my RR bonus points quickly and keep my emergency funds in their rightful place, the credit union.

mayhem213 Jan 6, 2014 6:54 pm

i like the slate card

had one when i needed to buy my macbook pro

flyer4512 Jan 6, 2014 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 21934694)
Double check the T&C's but I don't think Chase will do a BT from one Chase product to another.

T&C

We will not process any balance transfer requests that are from any other account or loan that we (Chase Bank USA, N.A.) or any of our affiliates issued.

johndunn2 May 22, 2014 1:52 pm

0% promo APR 12-18 months with rewards?

I am doing a remodel and would like to put some of the charges on a 0% interest card for 12-18 months.

Ideally, I'd like to avoid Chase since I have so much with them (CSP, Freedom, IB, SWA, United).

Without Chase, there is the AMEX Everyday, 12 months; Barclays Arrival, 12 months; WF Propel, 12 months (I think) and a Citi Dividend card for 18 months which appears to have no rewards.

Is there another card I am missing? AMEX Rewards points would be fine. A Chase card that transfers to UW would be great but I already burned that bridge with my Freedom. My concern with Barclays is that they tend to be stingy with the credit limit.

GeorgeMilesArnold May 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Amex BCE:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...-cash-everyday

It has rewards and 0% interest on purchases for 15 months.

ninroot May 22, 2014 4:17 pm

I think the Arrivals has 0 interest in addition to the sign up bonus

lakers6902 May 22, 2014 8:10 pm

0% promo APR 12-18 months with rewards?

Bank of America's Alaska car gave me an 18 month offer. Not off to bat but about three months after approval I got the offer

sdsearch May 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Make sure it's a card with no annual fee.

Otherwise, if the next annual fee hits while you stil have a balance transfer on your account, it could get tricky to pay the annual fee without incurring any interest on it, because the grace period on new charges does not apply cleanly when you are carrying a balance (even if it's a 0% balance).

mohammadmoghimi Jun 15, 2014 1:23 pm

0 intro apr miles and points card?

I'm looking for a 0 intro apr rewards credit card. Are there any sign up offers better than these cards?
1. chase freedom 20k bonus
2. citi ty preferred 20k bonus

Note that it's ok if the card has annual fee for the second year (not first year).

maddie5218 Jun 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Apparently my US Air card has 0% APR for a year. Didn't even realize it. So that's another one. I think the most recent sign up bonus is 40K miles.

skitch23 Jun 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by maddie5218 (Post 23039506)
Apparently my US Air card has 0% APR for a year. Didn't even realize it. So that's another one. I think the most recent sign up bonus is 40K miles.

Pretty sure the US airways card only has 0% on balance transfers.

skibum7732 Jun 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 23039539)
Pretty sure the US airways card only has 0% on balance transfers.

and will likely cost you 3-4% fee to do the BT...horrible idea to do a BT and pay that rate.

mohammadmoghimi Jun 17, 2014 11:10 am

Yeah, the US Air card has 0 apr for BTs with a high fee. Any other cards?

SFOPhD Jun 23, 2014 12:07 am

The new AmEx EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred are 0% for purchases and transfers for 15 months.

FTaddict Jul 24, 2014 3:34 pm

I've just got the Citi Simplicity card & need to do a balance transfer of around $14,000.

Is there any way to avoid the 3% balance transfer fee? MS...?

nandemo1 Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am

You can buy VGCs on giftcardmall through a cashback portal and pay the old card via bluebird/serve. That will reduce the "balance transfer" cost to about 1%.

FTaddict Jul 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by nandemo1 (Post 23255744)
You can buy VGCs on giftcardmall through a cashback portal and pay the old card via bluebird/serve. That will reduce the "balance transfer" cost to about 1%.

Good idea. I just didn't get one thing. Which portals can you use to buy VGC at Gift Card Mall? I thought portals don't pay cash back anymore for GC purchases.

FTaddict Jul 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by FTaddict (Post 23257062)
Good idea. I just didn't get one thing. Which portals can you use to buy VGC at Gift Card Mall? I thought portals don't pay cash back anymore for GC purchases.

Nvmnd. I just did some research and found there is a whole bunch of portals like TCB, Befrugal etc who not only sell GCs on a CC but also award some cashback, though pretty small.

I assume these cards can still be used to get money order at Walmart.

gabo864 Sep 23, 2014 10:06 am

Discover 0% intro APR

Hey everyone

I'm new to this forum and I just got my first credit card and I have a quick question.

I applied for a discover credit card and I noticed on the paperwork I received it says "Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for Purchases: 0.00% intro APR until the last day of your billing period ending during 12/2015, after the intro APR expires, your APR will be 11.99%. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate."

I'm trying to understand what 0% intro APR means. Does it mean I won't be charged interest on my purchases until december 2015? Or what does it exactly mean? Thanks.

patrick.barnes Sep 23, 2014 10:29 am

Yup.

No interest.

walkingingotham Sep 23, 2014 10:51 am

0% APR question

So today i was being very patient and tried to figure out how the bank calculates the credit card interest.;) Then I have a question about the 0% APR.

Say if my statement balance on Jun 23rd is 2000 dollars, my 0% APR ends and changes to 23% on Jun 28th, and I make a payment of 1000 dollars on Jul 15th. My question is, how much interest would the statement on Jul 23rd show for the period from Jun 23rd to Jul 23rd? :confused:

mnscout Sep 23, 2014 11:12 am

All credit cards that offer 0% Intro APR thrive on suckers who can't repay in time. You probably know that, but in case you don't, be careful.

jan_believes Sep 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by gabo864 (Post 23569093)
Hey everyone

I'm new to this forum and I just got my first credit card and I have a quick question.

I applied for a discover credit card and I noticed on the paperwork I received it says "Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for Purchases: 0.00% intro APR until the last day of your billing period ending during 12/2015, after the intro APR expires, your APR will be 11.99%. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate."

I'm trying to understand what 0% intro APR means. Does it mean I won't be charged interest on my purchases until december 2015? Or what does it exactly mean? Thanks.

The word "new", not just to the forum, but to credit cards in general, inspires me to reach out here. And, welcome to Flyer Talk! :)

The prior post advising care be taken to the 0% APR is agreeable. And, your initial question was answered. (Surprise that you didn't even know that when you applied).

However, a 0% APR is not inherently a negative. It can serve a wonderful purpose IF one plans and commits to be accountable on a monthly basis to ending the year with a $0 in the credit card balance at the end of the promo. Rejoice that you have a "break" in financial management with this promotion but KEEP an eagle's eye on that financial management as it is yours and yours alone. Don't think of it as actual money that you have to spend through.

Take a pledge that you will use the bank's money to advance yourself not with stuff, but needful spending, pay on time and more than the minimum payment, and when you see the end near, double your efforts to make those last two payments pay off the entire balance.

plenow Sep 23, 2014 2:42 pm

0% APR question

It's calculated on the daily balance. You have all the numbers now you need to solve the equation.

StartinSanDiego Sep 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi Walkingin.... welcome to FT.

There are great calculators at Bankrate.com that can help you figure out your interest expenses.

My suggestion is pay that puppy down asap, because that interest rate will kill you! If you can make the 1000 before the interest kicks in, all the better. Good luck.

gustav316 Sep 23, 2014 8:41 pm

0% APR question

About $16.38 in interest

gustav316 Sep 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Discover 0% intro APR

There should be disclosure about the 0% apr that is supposed to explain your coat of credit. In short, what this means is that the promotional period, where no interest is charged on balances, will end in 12/2015, afterwards the normal rate will apply. Best advice is to not carry a balance or keep the full payoff amount in an interest bearing account and payoff the full amount when the promotional period ends.

Adam1222 Sep 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Discover 0% intro APR

You probably are best off directing questions to how credit cards work to financial advice forums, or to one of the various consumer financial agencies which have guides to that topic. should be easy to find on Google.

maxmnx Sep 24, 2014 7:02 am

It may be 0% APR, but I'm sure it has a "transfer fee", which is usually 3%. The only card I know that has 0% APR and a 0% transfer fee is the Chase Slate. And unfortunately, my 15 months of 0% APR is running out this month.

ch3ss Sep 24, 2014 12:19 pm

0% Balance Transfer CC

Best options out there ? Chase Slate ?

Id prefer 18 months if possible, but I am looking to eliminate some CC debt, just paid off about 12k, and looking to pay off this 15k... College really f#$#( me :)

Any thoughts or help is appreciated !!

Thanks

patrick.barnes Sep 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Chase Slate has no BT fees and 0%.

Otherwise Citi Simplicity.