FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Cards with 0% APR Balance Transfers/Purchases, $0 Fees offers [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1663842-cards-0-apr-balance-transfers-purchases-0-fees-offers-consolidated.html)

paramount Mar 22, 2012 9:52 am

Cards with 0% APR Balance Transfers/Purchases, $0 Fees offers [Consolidated]

Hey guys, I'm a medical student who is trying to bridge the end of my loan money to my first paycheck in the 2nd week of July durin my residency. So far, just paying my rent for my place in the next 4 months will take most of my budget. Also I plan on spending $1200 down on an engagement ring and I have to live!

I plan on getting a 0% APR and 0% balance transfer to be able to live until my paycheck. I do have about ~1000 on one card that I'd like to transfer. My credit is 750 per myfico.

Please advise on the best 0% APR/Balance transfer card.

Para

roki Mar 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Citi offers the Simplicity credit card at 18mo 0% APR and BT, but they will hit you with a one time 3% BT fee. The perk to that card is that if you're late on a payment, or anything along those lines, there's no late penalty. It's not a rewards card though.

The Chase Slate card I believe offers 15mo 0% APR and BT, with no BT fee.

The Citi Dividend Viso offer 0% APR and BT for 12 months with a 3% fee, but they have a $100 cashback offer and it is a cashback/rewards card.

sunk818 Mar 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Is Discover More still offering NO FEE BT with 0% APR for 12 months?

The way to avoid BT fee, if it is more than 0%, is to spend slowly on your credit card until you get near the max. You have to monitor to spending very closely so you don't overspend as credit card usage have higher averages according to marketing studies.

Your other option is to live more frugally. No take out, no Starbucks, cook in meals you can stretch, no bar time, etc. And then when you start making some money, continue to live like a student and pay off your student loans. I know some people that stretch their loans out for years and years because they think they somehow deserve a different life because they have a MD.

dreamfool Mar 22, 2012 12:16 pm

I think Slate probably will fit your needs.

Depending on which jeweler you are going to, some of them offer no interest for 6 or 12 months if you open & put the balance on the store card. Since you will have income in a few months I think this is also a fine short term solution.

paramount Mar 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Ended up getting the Chase Slate.. great deal with the no balance transfer fee. I also have chase checking so it will be easier to just monitor with a website I already go to.

I ALMOST got the citi Simplicity but really, I'll have the credit card payed off by the time the 0% apr is up, I just needed something to get me through the next 3.5 months.

roki Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 18258979)
Ended up getting the Chase Slate.. great deal with the no balance transfer fee. I also have chase checking so it will be easier to just monitor with a website I already go to.

I ALMOST got the citi Simplicity but really, I'll have the credit card payed off by the time the 0% apr is up, I just needed something to get me through the next 3.5 months.

It is a good offer, for sure. The checking makes it easier too, you're right. In your scenario I probably would have done the Slate, but possibly the Dividend card, because it still retains value as a cashback card after the promotional period, whereas the Slate is not a rewards card (I believe). Still, the money saved on the BT fee is worth something, for sure.

dabeags Dec 9, 2013 3:07 pm

Best 0% Interest Credit Cards/No Transfer Fee

I've racked up some CC debt due to a wedding and some unforeseen car costs most of which is on my Chase Freedom which has a 0% APR period about to expire. It won't be a problem paying it off over a year or so, but I don't want to keep getting hit with interest fees.

It looks like the Slate is running a introductory 0% period as well as waiving the transfer fee which could save me about 200 bucks which looks good. I wanted to check to make sure there were no cards out there doing a 0%/0 Transfer fees that possibly had some sign up bonuses. I doubt there is but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Thanks

skitch23 Dec 9, 2013 3:56 pm

Best 0% Interest Credit Cards/No Transfer Fee

Double check the T&C's but I don't think Chase will do a BT from one Chase product to another.

fL1Pm0d3 Dec 9, 2013 6:10 pm

You can BT to a Amex Blue card. You can choose any of them, some do have an annual fee but it is waived in year one.

I recommend if you already have another AMEX card to apply via a private/incognito window so you can see the deal. Most of the cards have the 3% fee.

They have 0% for 15 months on Purchases and BT.

jan_believes Jan 6, 2014 6:39 pm

I recommend you apply for Slate and a Capital One.

Reason:

You can BT from Slate to Cap One and back to Chase Freedom. As you know, Slate is good for 60 days for no fee BT and Cap One does not have one, either.

You may not receive a top APR rate on Cap One but that works well toward discouraging any "gotcha" spending.

I did this a bit to cover my minimum spend on the Chase WN RR Visa so I could receive my RR bonus points quickly and keep my emergency funds in their rightful place, the credit union.

mayhem213 Jan 6, 2014 6:54 pm

i like the slate card

had one when i needed to buy my macbook pro

flyer4512 Jan 6, 2014 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 21934694)
Double check the T&C's but I don't think Chase will do a BT from one Chase product to another.

T&C

We will not process any balance transfer requests that are from any other account or loan that we (Chase Bank USA, N.A.) or any of our affiliates issued.

johndunn2 May 22, 2014 1:52 pm

0% promo APR 12-18 months with rewards?

I am doing a remodel and would like to put some of the charges on a 0% interest card for 12-18 months.

Ideally, I'd like to avoid Chase since I have so much with them (CSP, Freedom, IB, SWA, United).

Without Chase, there is the AMEX Everyday, 12 months; Barclays Arrival, 12 months; WF Propel, 12 months (I think) and a Citi Dividend card for 18 months which appears to have no rewards.

Is there another card I am missing? AMEX Rewards points would be fine. A Chase card that transfers to UW would be great but I already burned that bridge with my Freedom. My concern with Barclays is that they tend to be stingy with the credit limit.

GeorgeMilesArnold May 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Amex BCE:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...-cash-everyday

It has rewards and 0% interest on purchases for 15 months.

ninroot May 22, 2014 4:17 pm

I think the Arrivals has 0 interest in addition to the sign up bonus