Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Advice please, Which CC to apply first, strategy for applying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Question Advice please, Which CC to apply first, strategy for applying

Hi,
I recently found out about mileage credit card offers and have been reading blogs, posts and in this forum.
My husband and I are ready to apply for our first card for building mileages.
Our choice narrowed down to Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold or Barclay Arrival Plus for now. Eventually we would like to open all three but for our first one, we need to decide which one.
Our goal for building mileage is getting a discount/free tickets to Korea to visit family (one way or round trip) and hopefully this year. We are a family of 5 so even 1 free ticket will help. We don't have any royalty to any airlines as long as they are cheap and don't charge huge fees even after redeeming mileage. Our nearest airport is MCO.
Currently we have a Chase Amazon card that we are willing to let go if needed and we have been a long time customer for Chase bank locally.
I heard that Barclay credit card is harder to get approved than Chase, is this true to you all?
My husband was thinking I can apply for Barclay and he can apply for Chase SP the same day or in a few days? I'm a stay at home mom (and have a work at home business but nothing big). In the past I've gotten approved for department store cards with low credit limit but I don't know if I will get approved for Barclay?
Or should he apply for Ink Bold first before SP while I apply for Barclay?
Or should He apply for Barclay while I apply for Chase (which one)?
Which sequence would you choose for applying cards?
We plan to make a visit to Chase bank on Monday and see what they can offer. If you were to apply two different cards on the same day how would you go about it? Both bank will see that we applied for other CC on the same day when they check credit report, right? Thus which one should we apply, the tough one first? Would Chase be more lenient since we have their CC, bank account with long history?
Is there any other cards that is better for first one than what I mentioned?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by greencrew; Jul 12, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT! Have you ruled out the Citi/AA cards? AA charges only 25K miles for an Economy one-way award to Korea during AA's off-peak season. Travel could be on AA via DFW, or on AA/US/JL via one of JL's North American gateways.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:26 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Rather than focusing on which application to make, maybe it would be a good idea to more fully research the other end of the equation - how to redeem.

You're looking for a relatively difficult ticket to find - smaller US airport on the wrong side of the country to Korea. If you accumulate UR points, where will you transfer them? Does that program typically have availability when you want it?

An Arrival signup will earn you around $500. Can you find a retail ticket where that little of a credit makes sense?

We have forums for all the major programs here with threads that discuss strategies on actually finding and booking tickets. The booking strategy should dictate which cards you apply for.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:25 pm

1. No need to visit any bank branch including Chase unless you are private banking customer. Almost all bank credit cards are treated as separate business. If you are rejected you can then ask them to look at the fact you have checking savings with them. The fact that you have a large number traveling would make me want to look at a airline ticket consolidator or equivalent. Example in PHX they have a Chinese cultural center and there happens to be a travel agent that always seems to get cheap airline fares to anywhere in Asia. Or you can spend a lot of time on flyertalk and learn more or wait for mistake fare.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"No need to visit any bank branch including Chase unless you are private banking customer. Almost all bank credit cards are treated as separate business."

Some FTers have reported getting a reduced minimum spend ($2,000 instead of $3,000) on the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card when they applied in a branch, versus on line or by phone.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by guv1976

"No need to visit any bank branch including Chase unless you are private banking customer. Almost all bank credit cards are treated as separate business."

Some FTers have reported getting a reduced minimum spend ($2,000 instead of $3,000) on the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card when they applied in a branch, versus on line or by phone.
Yup, you can often find better CC offers available in physical Chase branches. And if you have >=$10k on deposit with Chase, a banker can fill out an "endorsement" form that improves your odds of approval.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.