FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1577043-barclays-arrival-plus-now-70k-w-5k-spend.html)

pkoo Jun 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Dumb question about redeeming for travel statement credits 120 days back:

The sole condition is that the charge must have been made 120 days back and nothing else right? So even though I've yet to meet minimum spend, if I charge airfare and pay the bill after the statement closes, I can redeem points for it in 2 months effectively just giving me cash right?

Just want to be 100% sure

tymothy Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 23041967)
I always redeem down. No wasting money on my end even it's just a few cents.

Gosh darn it, you signed up for a 2.222% cash back card, you're going to get 2.222% cash back!

ryanmcv Jun 21, 2014 12:51 am

Originally Posted by pkoo (Post 23070264)
Dumb question about redeeming for travel statement credits 120 days back:

The sole condition is that the charge must have been made 120 days back and nothing else right? So even though I've yet to meet minimum spend, if I charge airfare and pay the bill after the statement closes, I can redeem points for it in 2 months effectively just giving me cash right?

Just want to be 100% sure

Correct. Even if you pay the bill in full before redeeming points, the redemption will still post as a credit to your account. If you have a $0 balance, you'll simply end up with a negative balance based on how many points you redeemed.

skibum7732 Jun 21, 2014 1:08 am

Originally Posted by dodgers702 (Post 23065755)
took the chance and applied for the Arrival Plus with just being approved for the US Airways in April, the Williams Sonoma in January and the Arrival back in June 2013. Was instantly approved and actually shocked. All my Barclays cards have been instant approvals so never have had to call in. Now debating to close my no AF Arrival and transfer the limit to the Plus. Is that even possible?

There have been reports of it both ways in this thread. Highly YMMV, so you will just have to call and try

Adelphos Jun 21, 2014 3:19 am

Well this has been a disaster. I have attempted to use my chip and pin Arrival+ many times in London - the card has only worked once according to retailers (hotels and restaurants). In the meantime, $9,000+ of pending transactions have hit my card (the hotel I am staying at tried to use my card a few times, each resulting in a pending authorization that ended up saying "declined" at the hotel), taking up the entire $10,000 credit limit. So now I have no spending power in London on my Arrival. If I didn't bring my NPSL Amex Platinum with me, would have likely been out here on the streets in London. Barclays said they cannot do anything until the pending transactions post. I thought I had set up my card to work in London (called ahead, set up pin, etc), but at least for me, the pin appears to have caused more trouble than it has been worth.

bbd Jun 21, 2014 7:18 am

I wonder if ticket master tickets or season tickets for a sporting team would work?

Brugge Jun 21, 2014 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 23071225)
Well this has been a disaster. I have attempted to use my chip and pin Arrival+ many times in London - the card has only worked once according to retailers (hotels and restaurants). In the meantime, $9,000+ of pending transactions have hit my card (the hotel I am staying at tried to use my card a few times, each resulting in a pending authorization that ended up saying "declined" at the hotel), taking up the entire $10,000 credit limit. So now I have no spending power in London on my Arrival. If I didn't bring my NPSL Amex Platinum with me, would have likely been out here on the streets in London. Barclays said they cannot do anything until the pending transactions post. I thought I had set up my card to work in London (called ahead, set up pin, etc), but at least for me, the pin appears to have caused more trouble than it has been worth.

Besides the hotel, how many times did you try to use it?

trikotret Jun 21, 2014 9:59 am

Barclays Arrival/Arrival+ Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

any idea why Barclay keeps track of how many transactions each statement? my other cards don't show how many transactions

michael_v Jun 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 23071225)

When traveling abroad, it is always wise to carry more than one no foreign transaction fee card, in case one gets stolen, or locked-out due to suspected fraud or the scenario you described.

tomcanada22 Jun 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 23074324)
When traveling abroad, it is always wise to carry more than one no foreign transaction fee card, in case one gets stolen, or locked-out due to suspected fraud or the scenario you described.

I always carry 2 CC and 2 bank ATM cards when traveling. Also for real emergencies, I also carry about $1500 in travelers checks- no need to worry if I lose these as they are 100% replaceable. I carry minimal cash (about 3 days worth) as they are not replaceable.

Adelphos Jun 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 23074324)

That's what I did. I actually had three - Arrival, Amex and a corporate card. I'm just a bit pissed because I wanted to redeem a lot of points against this travel, and I won't be able to. Plus I was disappointed in the customer service.

The Traveler's Check idea is a good one. I will follow that next time.

Khiaao Jun 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 23077920)
That's what I did. I actually had three -Plus I was disappointed in the customer service.

They seem to have some "new" call center in Nevada and they are clueless. I email them telling them i will be in Costa Rica for July 4th - i hope they will not decline any of my transactions

alrvd83 Jun 22, 2014 8:24 pm

So I have enjoyed the arrival +, as I have had the card since January. I got in during the 1K spend bonus and I like the new changes.

Since my anniversary is due Jan '15, do you all think its worth to keep the card?? Thoughts opinions??

Unlike some other cards, the barclaycard arrival + doesn't give you any perk for renewing the card. No pt dividend (CSP), companion pass (delta cards), or free nights etc like hotel cars.

I currently have amex everyday preferred, Marriott premier personal & business, IHG mastercard, and arrival +. Ive had many cards over the past 3-4 yrs but I've only kept a few for the long haul.

Superorb Jun 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Khiaao (Post 23077971)
They seem to have some "new" call center in Nevada and they are clueless. I email them telling them i will be in Costa Rica for July 4th - i hope they will not decline any of my transactions

If they decline me I plan on calling them collect form my hotel room. All my train tickets are already paid for so I'll have another no Forex fee card with me as well just in case.

Happy Jun 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 23079619)
If they decline me I plan on calling them collect form my hotel room. All my train tickets are already paid for so I'll have another no Forex fee card with me as well just in case.

OT

While the banks like to tell you to call collect from overseas, in reality, I have tried this with both Citi and Chase when I was pickpocketed at Rome last Spring - guess what? The operators told me the numbers I called barred collect calls... At the end, it was Hilton FCO front desk called for me, using their own direct line.

I say the collect call feature is useless. Use SM works much better as husband was pickpocketed this May, again in Italy but different town, a much smaller one too. Instead of calling Chase and BofA, I just went online to send the banks SMs. The responses came back within hours.

BTW, in both times the thieves did not use any of the credit / debit card - they only aimed for cash which was quite little - last year was $50 US and 30 euro, this year was $20, no euro. The annoying thing is to replace the Driver License which of course costs $25 in our state. (but if you have a police report the fee would be waived...)