FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

ibleed0range May 28, 2014 11:21 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22938684)
I've had mixed results from pushing from external sources. I think that the hold definitely comes into effect when placing it from an external bank via WF website. I guess I just better get in the habit of pushing money to my WF checking. I know that everyone has said that but I didn't think it would be as extreme as it has been. Lesson learned. LOL.

If your rewards are about to post I would hold off on any more purchases. Sounds like you are going to get the boot regardless of what they tell you.

Silverthunder May 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Data point:
I have been warned 2x so far about overpaying my balance. The first warning was a few days ago. the 2nd warning was today and possibly in conjunction with a fraud alert (unclear as to whether this was triggered by a fraud alert or what). I did have some overpayments of my balance but that was over a month before my first warning. I did less than 1x credit limit first billing cycle, then I did 5.25x credit limit in 2nd, 5x in 3rd, on track for about 6x in the 4th billing cycle.

Silverthunder May 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range (Post 22938956)
If your rewards are about to post I would hold off on any more purchases. Sounds like you are going to get the boot regardless of what they tell you.

so you think that longer "holds" on the payments are a sign that they are shutting you down? has this actually happened before a shutdown, that you know of?

ibleed0range May 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Silverthunder (Post 22939262)
so you think that longer "holds" on the payments are a sign that they are shutting you down? has this actually happened before a shutdown, that you know of?

My friend got his account shut down without any notice after a few phone conversations about locked account. They can shut you down for no reason. If they do your not getting your rewards back. I don't have any data points to back up the fact that holding payments will lead to shutdown but cdancer has had multiple run ins now, I would just tread lightly if you have been contacted multiple times and your statement is about to post.

cdancer20 May 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range (Post 22939300)
My friend got his account shut down without any notice after a few phone conversations about locked account. They can shut you down for no reason. If they do your not getting your rewards back. I don't have any data points to back up the fact that holding payments will lead to shutdown but cdancer has had multiple run ins now, I would just tread lightly if you have been contacted multiple times and your statement is about to post.

Actually I think I had ONE run in. Just that the people kept forgetting to notate my acct about it. However, I am of course not behind the scenes. FYI, I have never gone over 1.5x my CL if that helps anyone. I think the overpayments definitely bring attention to your acct.

cdancer20 May 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Luckily my statement just cut yesterday. I just redeemed my money so hopefully I get the money into my acct and out to my new acct before anything new happens.

ChuckMango May 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22940119)
Luckily my statement just cut yesterday. I just redeemed my money so hopefully I get the money into my acct and out to my new acct before anything new happens.

Do you guys redeem to your cc statement or checking/check? do they frown upon any particular method? How long does it take to post to cc statement if one goes that route?

ddallas May 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by ChuckMango (Post 22940916)
Do you guys redeem to your cc statement or checking/check? do they frown upon any particular method? How long does it take to post to cc statement if one goes that route?

I redeem to WF checking. Usually shows up the next day or the day after that.

cdancer20 May 28, 2014 7:03 pm

How many times over CL was your friend doing?

ibleed0range May 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22941148)
How many times over CL was your friend doing?

Over 60k a month

skibum7732 May 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range (Post 22941430)
Over 60k a month

60,000x his CL...so if his CL was $10k then he put $600,000,000 per month on his card. At 5% that would be $30M...that would be nice:D. If we could pull that off we would retire in Thailand tomorrow with an endless supply of ladies to while away the days with:D.

Anyway....60k on a 30k CL is alot different than 60k on a 2k CL

ibleed0range May 29, 2014 6:36 am

I think it was 3x+

teddy25 May 29, 2014 7:54 am

For those been shut down by Wells, do you all have prior banking relationships with the bank. Like checking, savings or mortgage?

The delay in payment postings/credit limit releases MIGHT be dependent on other ban king relationships.

commdiver May 29, 2014 8:29 am

It has been mentioned countless times across multiple threads on FT to NEVER overpay an account. Why are people still doing this? At that point, you deserve to have your account shut down.

met152 May 29, 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by commdiver (Post 22943737)
It has been mentioned countless times across multiple threads on FT to NEVER overpay an account. Why are people still doing this? At that point, you deserve to have your account shut down.

It appears to me that WF defines overpayment differently than what you're referring to.

WF seems to mean that if your CL is 10k and you charge 11k and make 11k in payments, that you have overpaid.
My account was locked once when my outstanding balance was something like 2k, and I had 5k pending. A 2.5k payment hit before the 5k pending charge posted. They considered that as overpayment by ~500.
A second time I was locked, probably b/c I was doing 2-2.5x CL. They still told me it was locked due to overpayment. When I explained that I was very careful with the timing of my payments due to overpaying once before, he explained that they didn't like to see charges greater than my CL and that's what he meant by overpayment.