FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

mrmandel Jul 28, 2015 9:58 am

Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer (Post 25184316)
I closed my 5% Cash Back Platinum Visa on 10/6/14. On 3/8/15 I applied for the 5% Rewards Platinum Visa and was approved with the 5% bonus.

My SO closed her 5% Rewards Visa Signature card closed on 8/28/14. On 3/8/15 she applied for the 5% Cash back Platinum Visa and was approved with the 5% bonus.

Both of us opened and closed a Propel card in between the two 5% cards.

+1
Similar experience here.

michael160 Jul 28, 2015 10:55 am

Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer (Post 25184316)
I closed my 5% Cash Back Platinum Visa on 10/6/14. On 3/8/15 I applied for the 5% Rewards Platinum Visa and was approved with the 5% bonus.

My SO closed her 5% Rewards Visa Signature card closed on 8/28/14. On 3/8/15 she applied for the 5% Cash back Platinum Visa and was approved with the 5% bonus.

Both of us opened and closed a Propel card in between the two 5% cards.

Thanks for the data point. Can I ask do you now have two rewards accounts listed on your WF page? One for the Cash Back version and a new one for the rewards version, or did it merge into one?

cbender49 Jul 28, 2015 11:18 am

Regarding my SO signing up for one of the 5x cards and not having a WF relationship, can anyone provide detail if it works to add them as a secondary on my WF checking account or would they need to open their own checking acct and let it 'mature' a little before being eligible?

Any feedback from those who have done this is appreciated.

michael160 Jul 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by cbender49 (Post 25185456)
Regarding my SO signing up for one of the 5x cards and not having a WF relationship, can anyone provide detail if it works to add them as a secondary on my WF checking account or would they need to open their own checking acct and let it 'mature' a little before being eligible?

Any feedback from those who have done this is appreciated.

Add them as a joint owner on the checking acct. That will allow them to have their own user name login and set up a separate profile.

AnInfrequentFlyer Jul 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by michael160 (Post 25185327)
Thanks for the data point. Can I ask do you now have two rewards accounts listed on your WF page? One for the Cash Back version and a new one for the rewards version, or did it merge into one?

New rewards accounts were created. The old ones had disappeared and the award currency is different anyway (cash vs points).

AnInfrequentFlyer Jul 28, 2015 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by michael160 (Post 25186083)
Add them as a joint owner on the checking acct. That will allow them to have their own user name login and set up a separate profile.

+1

cbender49 Jul 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by michael160 (Post 25186083)

Thanks.
It looks like I can only add a joint user to the checking acct if we both visit a WF branch (I don't live near any) and they'll update the signature card. I can assign view-only access to someone else and they would then have a unique user/pass but I'm not sure this will help them with the relationship part when applying for the CC. Thoughts?

michael160 Jul 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by cbender49 (Post 25187455)
Thanks.
It looks like I can only add a joint user to the checking acct if we both visit a WF branch (I don't live near any) and they'll update the signature card. I can assign view-only access to someone else and they would then have a unique user/pass but I'm not sure this will help them with the relationship part when applying for the CC. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure your SO will need to be an owner on the account. Call WF and explain that you don't live near a branch and see if they will accept a notarized something that you can mail in.

cbender49 Jul 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by michael160 (Post 25187613)
I'm pretty sure your SO will need to be an owner on the account. Call WF and explain that you don't live near a branch and see if they will accept a notarized something that you can mail in.

I assumed the same, just wanted to avoid eyes on my account if at all possible. Seems like it might be best to just open another checking account online as I.

PeaceandPost Aug 4, 2015 1:47 pm

Hey everyone. I am hoping to attempt round two of this card for my wife. I had my first attempt in May and things didn't work out so well and my CC and checking account were both shut down within a month and a half. But I think I could make a better go of it this time around.

My question: Is there any risk of adding myself as an AU if my wife is approved for this card? Will WF track it and notice that someone who they just shut down is an AU on someone else's card? Anyone have experience with this?

TIA.

mrmandel Aug 5, 2015 4:18 am

Originally Posted by mattrendell27 (Post 25220923)
Hey everyone. I am hoping to attempt round two of this card for my wife. I had my first attempt in May and things didn't work out so well and my CC and checking account were both shut down within a month and a half. But I think I could make a better go of it this time around.

My question: Is there any risk of adding myself as an AU if my wife is approved for this card? Will WF track it and notice that someone who they just shut down is an AU on someone else's card? Anyone have experience with this?

TIA.

I doubt anyone has better than a guess to answer this, so my guess is that there is some risk, but that it's minimal compared to an potential reward. If your wife's credit file is thin the risks of shutdown would be amplified.

diseased Aug 5, 2015 5:12 am

TIA.

What kind of spending did you do on your card? DH's promo ended last month and I didn't hit his very hard as an AU. I got the card immediately after with a 10k limit and have put 12k through so far. Probably won't go above that. We have a joint checking account with WF so I wonder if they shut my card down would they close the checking account too?

happy9zz Aug 5, 2015 11:16 am

wells 5x closed

TIA.

Hi,

Do you mind if you can share why your checking and credit card closed? Do you know any reason. I am thinking to apply next week.

Thanks!

PeaceandPost Aug 5, 2015 2:59 pm

Well I was depositing a lot of MO's with WF tellers and one time the MO read incorrectly as 99.13 instead of 999.13 so I went back through the drive-thru window and they said that someone in the "bank's back office" would have to correct the mistake. So about a week later they manually credited my account for the missing 900 but then like 3 days after that my checking was closed. And about 2 weeks after that my CC was closed. It's too bad cuz everything was going great until the misread MO happened.

It doesn't seem the amount of spending I did was what lead to cancellation. But for the record I had a 5k CL (platinum card) and was spending about 10-12k/week.

At the time depositing MO's directly at WF was what I had gathered from this thread to be the easiest and best practice to cycle the CL on this card most effectively. I now realize it's better to deposit MO's to a different checking account first and then push money to WF checking.

travelfreaks Aug 5, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by mattrendell27 (Post 25226582)
Well I was depositing a lot of MO's with WF tellers and one time the MO read incorrectly as 99.13 instead of 999.13 so I went back through the drive-thru window and they said that someone in the "bank's back office" would have to correct the mistake. So about a week later they manually credited my account for the missing 900 but then like 3 days after that my checking was closed. And about 2 weeks after that my CC was closed. It's too bad cuz everything was going great until the misread MO happened.

It doesn't seem the amount of spending I did was what lead to cancellation. But for the record I had a 5k CL (platinum card) and was spending about 10-12k/week.

At the time depositing MO's directly at WF was what I had gathered from this thread to be the easiest and best practice to cycle the CL on this card most effectively. I now realize it's better to deposit MO's to a different checking account first and then push money to WF checking.

You failed rule #1....never poop where u eat or expect ecoli.