FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

travelfreaks Jul 1, 2015 1:22 am

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 25048899)
Hi friends,

i just got this card two month ago and have accumulated almost 40k points. in the welcome material, it says that i can redeem for flight tickets at 1.5 cents/point rate. however, i haven't been to find how to actually do that? anyone has any clue?

is buying flight ticket the best value redemption method?

thanks!

:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:
Thats <$8k spend in 2 months. You only have 6 months with this card. We did more than in a day with this card let alone in 2 months

sunspotzsz Jul 4, 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 25052529)
:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:
Thats <$8k spend in 2 months. You only have 6 months with this card. We did more than in a day with this card let alone in 2 months

Don't want to get shut down

michael160 Jul 5, 2015 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 25069869)
Don't want to get shut down

That's like saying you drive 20MPH in a 55MPH zone because you don't want to get a speeding ticket. To each his own, I guess.

sunspotzsz Jul 6, 2015 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by michael160 (Post 25073212)
That's like saying you drive 20MPH in a 55MPH zone because you don't want to get a speeding ticket. To each his own, I guess.

what in your opinion is a reasonable run rate per week?

michael160 Jul 6, 2015 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 25078284)
what in your opinion is a reasonable run rate per week?

First off I was probably a bit harsh with my previous comment.
Everyone has their own comfort level and my best advise is to stick with what you feel comfortable doing. There isn't a right or wrong number.

hokiegl Jul 6, 2015 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 25048899)
Hi friends,

i just got this card two month ago and have accumulated almost 40k points. in the welcome material, it says that i can redeem for flight tickets at 1.5 cents/point rate. however, i haven't been to find how to actually do that? anyone has any clue?

is buying flight ticket the best value redemption method?

thanks!

I do this all the time. Just go to the rewards site and navigate to the airlines section. When you pull up tickets, you will see that the price quoted is 33% off what you see in kayak for example.

Tiger39 Jul 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Does it take longer for the bonus rewards to show up than base awards? My account snapshot shows pending base rewards but nothing for bonus rewards. I called the rewards number and they confirmed that I am elgible for 5X bonus but wasn't very helpful on saying when they would post.

yoyo Jul 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Base and bonus should show up at the same time after the charge posts. I just got the card and made several charges and they show on the reward site. BTW, if you don't like your limit you can call in and have them raise it. I doubled mine with one call without a new HP. YMMV

Tiger39 Jul 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 25098740)
Base and bonus should show up at the same time after the charge posts. I just got the card and made several charges and they show on the reward site. BTW, if you don't like your limit you can call in and have them raise it. I doubled mine with one call without a new HP. YMMV

Thanks, I might have to call them again. I want to get this situated before I start spending to heavily on this card. My limit is 13K and don't need to increase (at least not yet anyway).

bjk497 Jul 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Have those of you with the rewards version of the card (the one that can be redeemed toward airfare for 1.5 cents per point) consistently had the redemption rate increase to 1.75 cents per point toward airfare after spending $50K? I have seen a few reports of this, but not widely reported. I need to book a ticket to St Croix for Labor Day weekend and am wondering if I should wait (I should hit $50K this billing cycle). Thanks in advance

THEsocalledfan Jul 11, 2015 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bjk497 (Post 25099306)
Have those of you with the rewards version of the card (the one that can be redeemed toward airfare for 1.5 cents per point) consistently had the redemption rate increase to 1.75 cents per point toward airfare after spending $50K? I have seen a few reports of this, but not widely reported. I need to book a ticket to St Croix for Labor Day weekend and am wondering if I should wait (I should hit $50K this billing cycle). Thanks in advance

Yes.....at some point, you will get bumped up. If this card had any kind of bonus reward categories, I'd be using it alot, but sadly my 6 mo ended July 1 and it is now in a drawer.....

Happy Jul 11, 2015 8:39 pm

$100 sign up bonus

Got solicitations from Wells on this card. The sign up bonus is $100 after $1K spend. The offer expires Aug 3rd.

Is it common this card has a sign up bonus?

Dont want to apply now as we would be out 40 days between Aug and Sept. I dont want to train this card then stop using it for 40 days and have to retrain it, not to mention losing 40 days of earning potential.

wise2u Jul 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Happiness, I've just been approved for card with 10k limit. My wife's card just went past 6 months, so the game continues.
To the braggers: how do you cycle that much through? I understand you can hit your limit, and pay it off early to renew it. (but it does draw attention, and is one of the ways people get shut down). The hard part seems liquidation of all those grocery store VGC. You have a couple of BB accounts, and some folks buy MO directly with VGC, but you still have to deposit them (which draws attention of banks, and maybe government scrutiny) So how can you get to the levels you claim?
We cleared about 4k in rewards after GC fees, mostly thanks to Redbird's no load fees while they lasted. That was with a 14k CL, maxed and paid once each month. We didn't use redbird or bluebird to pay card directly. I would deposit to WF funds from other banks, and cash from BB/RB ATM withdrawals, then use our WF checking to pay CC bill.
Walmart codes as grocery near me and a $500 VGC is only $4.95 but they have to be bought 1 card at a time, so that would set off fraud alerts every day. Other cards can be bought $1500 at a time (at Krogers) but cost $1 more each which reduces net rewards to a little more than $2250 - time and gas to liquidate, over 6 months....if I stick to my previous method.
I am happy with the previous result, but would have to charge and pay twice a month to repeat it. I tend to be cautious and don't want to be a greedy hog that gets slaughtered, but if you guys are really running 6 figures through in 6 months, I'd like to know how.

yoyo Jul 13, 2015 6:25 pm

I know someone is running 6 figures a month, but it doesn't mean you and I can do it. Do only what one is comfortable with.

hokiegl Jul 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by bjk497 (Post 25099306)

On my other card, I did have the rate increased. But its hard to predict. It came WAY after I hit the 50K mark. I hit 50K in the second month, but the letter arrived around month 4.