Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
There are three services to pay your U.S. federal taxes: IRS Pay Your Taxes by Debit or Credit Card or Digital Wallet

pay1040.com 1.87% fee on credit (lowered from 1.99% on 01/02/2023). $2.50 flat fee on debit.
payUSAtax.com - 1.82% fee on credit (rate updated 01/03/2024 from 1.85%). $2.20 flat fee on debit.
See this thread about payUSAtax customer service. Many people have reported that they never respond to support requests.
ACI Payments, Inc - 1.98% fee on credit. $2.20 flat fee on debit.

Many states also permit online tax payment; check with your state or this list from MasterCard.

The IRS has a system to view payments, and it's good practice to confirm all payments within a short time frame, so that any rare lost payment issue can be disputed.
Be mindful of time zones if paying on the due date as pay1040.com uses CDT timestamp and payusatax.com uses EDT timestamp.

In general, you're allowed 2 payments per processor above per type of tax (annual and quarterlies being 2 different types, for example). They're not billed as cash advance fees. If 6 payments is not enough to pay your bill you can use a service such as plastiq (2.25% fee). If making multiple payments, it is advised you join here to track your payments link , you will be required to give your banking information and will receive a pin via snail mail
(Confirmed 4/2018 in post #429)

Fees are tax-deductible for C-Corps but not individuals (2018 tax reform eliminated "miscellaneous itemized deductions"). The majority of people will not be able to deduct that expense, check with your accountant.

When making multiple payments at or near your credit limit multiple times, allow yourself 3-5 days between payments for the charge to show up on your card and your bank payment to clear. If you wait until April 15th to make payments, you will only be able to clear the first payment.

Best Credit Cards to use/buy cheap points:
- Any credit card to hit minimum spend and achieve signup bonus or spend thresholds.
- BOA Premium Rewards 2.62% Cashback (Card holder needs to be a Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors member)
- Chase INK Premier 2.5% Cashback on purchases over $5k (Points are not transferable to airline or hotel programs)
- Capital One Venture X 2X Cap One Miles/Points (now transfer to most airline partners at 1:1)
- Amex Blue Business Plus 2X Membership Rewards (capped at $50,000 spend per calendar year)
- Chase United Business Club Card, 1.5X United Miles
- BOA Virgin Atlantic World Elite 1.5X Virgin Atlantic Points
- Chase Freedom Unlimited, 1.5X Ultimate Rewards, paired with a premium card (Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, INK Preferred, INK Plus)
- Chase INK Unlimited, 1.5X Ultimate Rewards, paired with a premium card (Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, INK Preferred, INK Plus)
- Amex Everyday Preferred 1.5X Membership Rewards, (need to make 30 transactions in a month for 50% bonus)
- Amex Business Platinum 1.5X Membership Rewards on purchases over $5K

Big Spend Bonuses:
- Amex Delta Reserve, spend $60k get 30k bonus miles and 30k MQM
- Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve, spend $10k get free weekend night, $40k, Platinum Status
- Chase Southwest, spend $135k get Companion Pass (WN points are redeemed at $.011, @ 1.87% fee, you're essentially buying the companion pass for $847)
- Chase Ritz Carlton Reserve, spend $10k get Gold Status spend $75k get Platinum Status
- Chase World of Hyatt, spend $15k get one free night

Cash Back cards:
Elan Fidelity 2%
Citi Double Cash 2%

Earn Status/Elite qualifying points:
- American, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt

Pre-Funding allowed:
Amex Charge Cards

Pre-Funding not-allowed:
Chase

Quarterly tax due dates: the 15th of April, June, September, January

Print Wikipost

Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Sky Miles
Which new credit card to get for payment of taxes

I'm paying mucho taxes this year and was wondering which 'new' credit card should I get for the most points and payback?
Thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:31 pm

I would go with the AMEX Blue for Business, if you can get a business card. I haven't seen if they changed the terms for the first year, but it was 2x back on all purchases for first year with a 30% bonus on top of that for purchases up to 50k in first year.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kathykathy
I'm paying mucho taxes this year and was wondering which 'new' credit card should I get for the most points and payback?
Thank you.
kathykathy, we already have a Paying USA income, property or other taxes with a credit card thread, so I merged your thread with the existing one.

You may even find an answer that someone already posted.

~moderator
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
1st attempt to pay tax with CC. Newbie question - Does the 2% fee also count towards spend? E.g., need to spend $10000 with Ax Plat, will pay $9804 + $196 (2%) fee together meet the $10000 goal?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure. The fee counts toward spend. It's plain old spend.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
Originally Posted by josephstern
Sure. The fee counts toward spend. It's plain old spend.
Great!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Sky Miles
Originally Posted by tetris55
I would go with the AMEX Blue for Business, if you can get a business card. I haven't seen if they changed the terms for the first year, but it was 2x back on all purchases for first year with a 30% bonus on top of that for purchases up to 50k in first year.
Tetris - sounds like a plan! Thank you so much !
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
Can I use my credit card to pay taxes of someone else (about 9K) (who then re-pays me with check)?
What NEW creditcard should I sign up to get maximum return?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:21 pm

You can pay for anyone, but you will need their SS # and DOB at a minimum. It will help to have them on the phone while you do it as their are a number of questions to answer.

This isn't a good thread for "which card has the best signup thread", that's discussed in other threads very frequently.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:42 am

Hi All,

Just to confirm, I have until 04/18/2017 11:59PM to pay for my 2016 income tax, and my Estimate Tax for Q1 2017, right?

Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
I am using TurboTax & plan to e-file but don't want to pay tax online. I prefer calling pay1040.com
How do I do that so when I file tax, I don't have to enter credit card info... Is there option which allows to file return and pay tax over phone?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by junks2010
Hi All,

Just to confirm, I have until 04/18/2017 11:59PM to pay for my 2016 income tax, and my Estimate Tax for Q1 2017, right?

Thanks.
yes
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:17 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by desikid
I am using TurboTax & plan to e-file but don't want to pay tax online. I prefer calling pay1040.com
How do I do that so when I file tax, I don't have to enter credit card info... Is there option which allows to file return and pay tax over phone?
There is an option to tell TurboTax you will pay by mail, then just use pay1040 to make the payment.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by desikid
You might look into paying first, a few moments before you finish your return, then edit your return and enter what you just paid under payments applied to that tax year. Your TT return will show $0 due. Then E-File.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:32 pm

I also have the AMEX blue for business when the offer was double points for the first $50K and 30% at end of year- effectively 2.3 AMEX points per dollar charged. If you use this in combination with the AMEX business platinum, which gives you 50% points back on the airline of your choice (American for me) or in business/ first, you are essentially getting 4.6% back, with the service fee of 1.87% this is a 2.73% margin!!!!

If you weren't able to get the AMEX blue for business, as mentioned the AMEX everyday preferred if you do enough transactions per month (30?) you get 1.5 MR points per dollar. Coupled with the AMEX business platinum with the logic above, you get 3% back which is still a very nice 1.23% margin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.