FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1415338-barclays-arrival-arrival-cards-1-1-2-2-travel-credits.html)

teddy25 May 2, 2013 5:41 am

Originally Posted by silvermaple (Post 20685679)
After reading both your comments I called a second time to see if they would approve me.

Unfortunately, no.

Reason given: Too may cc applications in the past few months. Wait until a few US Airways CC statements are paid.

Here's the time line:

Applied for Arrival's card April 13th. Was in a pending status. Called on Apr 23rd and was declined. Called again May 1st and was declined again. Reasons stated above.

Apart from this card I applied for and got approved for a US Air cc on 04/05, Chase Priority Club Visa and Citi HHonors CC in Feb, Club Carlson Visa in Mar, Chase Marriott rewards last Nov.

Excellent credit and all debt paid on time, in full, on a monthly basis.

Should I make a 3rd call to the reconsideration line or give it a rest? Any suggestions on what I can say if I were to make that call ?

I bet the rejection is due to the new us air card. I would give at least a month between Barclays applications.

When I applied the arrival card, I have the us air card for 7 months with less than $100 put on it.

And I have only 1 new app this year, I was getting prepared for the club Carlson cards. I was 6 for 6, during this churn.

dontippet May 2, 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Dynastar (Post 20629220)
Before I pull the trigger on this one, I assume that it's OK to apply your miles on this card towards expensive purchases where you're not fully reimbursed? For instance, if I buy a $500 ticket it will let me apply 40,000 points ($400) towards that, correct?

Absolutely correct. I used my 40,000 points bonus towards a $700 airline purchase. I then received a 10% point bonus immediately.

dontippet May 2, 2013 7:43 am

The one thing I really like about this is card is that points post immediately after the purchase has gone through. You don't have to wait for the statement.

PresskittJon May 2, 2013 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by silvermaple (Post 20685679)
After reading both your comments I called a second time to see if they would approve me.

Unfortunately, no.

Reason given: Too may cc applications in the past few months. Wait until a few US Airways CC statements are paid.

Here's the time line:

Applied for Arrival's card April 13th. Was in a pending status. Called on Apr 23rd and was declined. Called again May 1st and was declined again. Reasons stated above.

Apart from this card I applied for and got approved for a US Air cc on 04/05, Chase Priority Club Visa and Citi HHonors CC in Feb, Club Carlson Visa in Mar, Chase Marriott rewards last Nov.

Excellent credit and all debt paid on time, in full, on a monthly basis.

Should I make a 3rd call to the reconsideration line or give it a rest? Any suggestions on what I can say if I were to make that call ?

Pretty clear that you have a bunch of cc applications in past few months.

Give it time. Most normal people don't get 5 new cards in past 6 months.

Calling in again will probably result in a hard pull of all 3 bureaus (and that might have already happened with first 2 calls).

texasguy77 May 3, 2013 12:54 am

Originally Posted by dontippet (Post 20686705)
The one thing I really like about this is card is that points post immediately after the purchase has gone through. You don't have to wait for the statement.

+1 ^

silvermaple May 3, 2013 1:17 am

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 20686216)
I bet the rejection is due to the new us air card. I would give at least a month between Barclays applications.

When I applied the arrival card, I have the us air card for 7 months with less than $100 put on it.

And I have only 1 new app this year, I was getting prepared for the club Carlson cards. I was 6 for 6, during this churn.

Will do.....

Although the rejection (or should I say greed :D ) didn't stop me from applying for a Citi AA Plat cc, a few days ago !..........thankfully got approved on that one.

Originally Posted by PresskittJon (Post 20689218)
Pretty clear that you have a bunch of cc applications in past few months.

Give it time. Most normal people don't get 5 new cards in past 6 months.

Calling in again will probably result in a hard pull of all 3 bureaus (and that might have already happened with first 2 calls).

Agree...

I did notice my Transunion credit score having dropped 13 points prior to applying for the Barclay's Arrival CC (i.e. in between April 5th and April 13th ). Do not know yet what damage I have done with this newly declined app.

romsdeals3 May 3, 2013 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by dontippet (Post 20686698)
Absolutely correct. I used my 40,000 points bonus towards a $700 airline purchase. I then received a 10% point bonus immediately.

I didn't receive my 10% instantly, but I received my travel credit almost instantly. Still waiting for 10%, terms state 1-2 weeks. This is my go-to card for manufacturing spend now.

jeanie May 7, 2013 10:16 pm

I am curious about the options for gift cards. I have read this entire thread, and gone through the first 5 pages of Google search results. There are several blogs that make a statement that the redemption rate for gift cards runs from $0.005 per point to $0.01. I tried looking up gift cards for my NFL Barclays card, but the only option is NFL merchandise.

Would someone mind listing some options for gift cards at the maximum value of $0.01 per point? I actually am looking at a nice front door at Home Depot, and wonder if that is an option for redemption. I have a lot of miles built up, it would be nice to have a gift card or cash. But the $0.005 per point rate for a statement credit doesn't sound very good to me.

Thank you very much. ;)

tigermark82 May 8, 2013 7:34 am

Barclays Card Limit

Does anyone know how many cards Barclays typically allows? I already have 2 personal US Mastercards and am thinking about adding this to my next churn.

KennyBSAT May 8, 2013 7:54 am

Originally Posted by jeanie (Post 20715321)
Would someone mind listing some options for gift cards at the maximum value of $0.01 per point? I actually am looking at a nice front door at Home Depot, and wonder if that is an option for redemption. I have a lot of miles built up, it would be nice to have a gift card or cash. But the $0.005 per point rate for a statement credit doesn't sound very good to me.

Thank you very much. ;)

All of the retail gift cards available right now (includes Lowes) are .005 per point. The Arrival card only gets 2 or 2.2% if redeemed for travel credit. Even the travel gift cards available are only at .005 per point.

jeanie May 8, 2013 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT (Post 20716948)
All of the retail gift cards available right now (includes Lowes) are .005 per point. The Arrival card only gets 2 or 2.2% if redeemed for travel credit. Even the travel gift cards available are only at .005 per point.

Thank you. That helps.

jeanie May 8, 2013 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by tigermark82 (Post 20716851)
Does anyone know how many cards Barclays typically allows? I already have 2 personal US Mastercards and am thinking about adding this to my next churn.

Most people on FT have a difficult time getting more than 2 or 3 Barclays cards. I had 2 US air cards, then applied for the NFL card. For the NFL card, I had to call reconsideration. I had opened 8 cards in the last 12 months, and they really grilled me on that. But I was able to move credit around and get the NFL card.

My advice would be to close one of the US cards, wait a month, then apply for this one hoping you would get instant approval.

frudd38 May 9, 2013 1:35 pm

Just got approved, but for only a 4k limit. I called back to verify if it was the one that has the annual fee version, which they confirmed.

But the email I received says Barclay Arrival MASTERCARD, which is what the no fee is officially called on the website.

Can anyone confirm this? My experience is anything under 5k limit would not be the higher version.

Thanks

Nick92 May 9, 2013 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 20724496)
Just got approved, but for only a 4k limit. I called back to verify if it was the one that has the annual fee version, which they confirmed.

But the email I received says Barclay Arrival MASTERCARD, which is what the no fee is officially called on the website.

Can anyone confirm this? My experience is anything under 5k limit would not be the higher version.

Thanks

You got Platinum MasterCard is all that is different, you will still get 40k points if you applied under that offer for the AF version. The CL doesn't matter or change the bonus. $5k+ is World.

chliansh May 9, 2013 5:23 pm

I tried and was declined per too many (7) inq on CR (credit score 765). I got my current US air card about 3 months ago and had a NFL MC I closed 01/13. I called the recon line and they were not willing to move credit or anything else....its almost like they are onto me. Over the last few years Barclays has been the only CC that has declined me.