FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1415338-barclays-arrival-arrival-cards-1-1-2-2-travel-credits.html)

texasguy77 Apr 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mirage777 (Post 20640843)
How often can you apply for Barclays credit cards? I just applied for a US Air MC about two weeks ago, how long should I wait to apply for the Arrival card?

I applied for a new card two days after being approved for another card.

romsdeals3 Apr 24, 2013 11:25 am

I wasn't able to buy a $3K AMEX gift card. My card got frozen and I had to call to verify my account. They said I would have to call before I make a big purchase like that again. Too much hassle. My Amazon Payments went through, which met my minimum spend :)

aarif1 Apr 24, 2013 12:34 pm

I just applied for this card, and received a pending status. I called recon, but they said too many new accounts (they didn't specify over what time period, but I have 1 new account within the last 3 months, and 2 more just over 3 months old, and 2 more that are just over 6 months old.

ezron Apr 24, 2013 12:47 pm

I was turned down because I have a huge business expense on my AMEX card(40K).......

It was paid yesterday and it has posted to zero balance.....how soon will Barclays know this info and reconsider me ??

tia

perrodog Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am

Originally Posted by ezron (Post 20646160)
I was turned down because I have a huge business expense on my AMEX card(40K).......

It was paid yesterday and it has posted to zero balance.....how soon will Barclays know this info and reconsider me ??

tia

When the statement closes AMEX will report the new balance and it should show up in your credit report soon after that. BUT, you can call AMEX and ask them to fax you a "current statement balance" (which should be zero now or close to zero...as you say you just paid off the 40k). You can then send that to Barclays and they may be able to approve you. Cheers.

texasguy77 Apr 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by aarif1 (Post 20646069)
I just applied for this card, and received a pending status. I called recon, but they said too many new accounts (they didn't specify over what time period, but I have 1 new account within the last 3 months, and 2 more just over 3 months old, and 2 more that are just over 6 months old.

I've done several App-O-Rama since December, probably about 5 cards or so. But thankfully none of them utilize TU for the initial hard pull. My TU report is practically untouched :) You might have to hold off for up to a year and try to APP again.

aarif1 Apr 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by texasguy77 (Post 20652301)
I've done several App-O-Rama since December, probably about 5 cards or so. But thankfully none of them utilize TU for the initial hard pull. My TU report is practically untouched :) You might have to hold off for up to a year and try to APP again.

I'm pretty sure I only have 1 or 2 TU pulls in the last year, the US Air I applied for and maybe one other, and only 3 or 4 total inquiries with TU.

The recon agent never mentioned inquiries only new accounts, both with Barclay's and other accounts.

teddy25 Apr 25, 2013 3:45 pm

HUCA

Originally Posted by aarif1 (Post 20646069)

I have much more than that. i had to make a 2nd call to barlcays to get it approved.

HUCA,

aarif1 Apr 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 20653138)
I have much more than that. i had to make a 2nd call to barlcays to get it approved.

HUCA,

Based on your experience, I called recon again today. The agent asked pretty much the same questions, checked my credit report, and pretty much said the same thing, too many new accounts in the last year. I asked to split my existing credit line (which I unsuccessfully asked for last time), and the agent agreed.

Thanks!

texasguy77 Apr 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by aarif1 (Post 20657899)
Based on your experience, I called recon again today. The agent asked pretty much the same questions, checked my credit report, and pretty much said the same thing, too many new accounts in the last year. I asked to split my existing credit line (which I unsuccessfully asked for last time), and the agent agreed.

Thanks!

Congrats on your approval, not quite the way you hoped for but at least you got in.

romsdeals3 Apr 29, 2013 8:53 am

I received my 40K points instantly after spending $1,000. Did not have to wait for statement to close. I even redeemed points for a hotel stay on booking.com. I am very impressed with this card so far. Seems like Barclaycard is really stepping it up. I posted a step-by-step process on how to redeem Barclaycard points if anyone is interested.

tigermark82 May 1, 2013 10:57 am

Has anyone tried to purchase travel gift cards with these points? I was wondering if I could use the sign up bonus to buy gift cards to mariott for use at a later date, and then cancel before the annual fee comes up.

romsdeals3 May 1, 2013 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by tigermark82 (Post 20682029)
Has anyone tried to purchase travel gift cards with these points? I was wondering if I could use the sign up bonus to buy gift cards to mariott for use at a later date, and then cancel before the annual fee comes up.

You should have no problems buying gift cards and requesting for statement credit.

JL100 May 1, 2013 6:05 pm

Just got my card - Barclays took their sweet time, about 10-12 days to approve and another week or more to get the card. So different than Amex instant approval and card overnighted in one day....

silvermaple May 2, 2013 1:37 am

Originally Posted by aarif1 (Post 20657899)

Thanks!

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 20653138)

HUCA,

After reading both your comments I called a second time to see if they would approve me.

Unfortunately, no.

Reason given: Too may cc applications in the past few months. Wait until a few US Airways CC statements are paid.

Here's the time line:

Applied for Arrival's card April 13th. Was in a pending status. Called on Apr 23rd and was declined. Called again May 1st and was declined again. Reasons stated above.

Apart from this card I applied for and got approved for a US Air cc on 04/05, Chase Priority Club Visa and Citi HHonors CC in Feb, Club Carlson Visa in Mar, Chase Marriott rewards last Nov.

Excellent credit and all debt paid on time, in full, on a monthly basis.

Should I make a 3rd call to the reconsideration line or give it a rest? Any suggestions on what I can say if I were to make that call ?