Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card

20K points after $1,000 spend within 90 days.
No annual fee
No foreign transaction fees

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go
Print Wikipost

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
might want to go to a finance specific place (eg www.reddit.com/r/portfolios, boglehead forums etc). this thread is about the travel rewards credit card

1) don't time the market... you can try Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA, i.e. put 10% every week, to minimize risk and get the best "average" cost), but some have said it's best to do lump sum investing. You are implicitly doing DCA anyways (100k this year, 10k every year for the next 20+years)

https://pressroom.vanguard.com/conte..._Averaging.pdf

2) seems like all the ETFs you listed are available at Merrill Edge. Do some research on the Edge... I've heard cases where people were bumped up to Merill Lynch when they had >250k in their Edge accounts, and don't qualify for the Edge benefits (free 100 trades/month)

3) Personal choice. I myself don't care enough to rebalance. anything more than monthly/quarterly is overkill. yearly is fine. try not to sell & rebuy(causing a taxable event) unless it's in a tax-shielded account or you want to harvest losses etc
Thank you.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by zerosoul
Wow the new design is so much better. Can I call BOA for a new card just for the new design? Although this card is still sock drawered since I got the signup bonus.
I ordered a card replacement online and got it in 4 business days. It really looks better than the old version
Old May 9, 2015, 9:17 am

My experience with Merrill Edge was miserable. I was actually yelled at by a Representative for trying to open an brokerage account on Sunday.
Old May 9, 2015, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
My experience with Merrill Edge was miserable. I was actually yelled at by a Representative for trying to open an brokerage account on Sunday.
i try not talk to the people in person, since I know all of their benefits/product holdings... all online, no chance for them to hard sell me
Old May 21, 2015, 2:09 pm

I have never spoken to any representative since I opened my Merrill Edge account online 6 1/2 months ago.

It only took me 15 minutes open an Merrill Edge online and I got $1000 cash bonus back one week ago for open 6 months.

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Old May 27, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Bank of America travel center

Booking travels through bank of America travel center gives additional bonus. Any experiences with booking through them ? How's customer service if flights needs to be changed etc ? Are prices generally same as other places ?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:06 pm

I'm a long-time ML (and more recently BofA) customer so this card was a no brainer for me at 2.625 points/$.

Originally Posted by timrick
I paid my tax with this card last week, even with a 1.87% charge, it was a good deal. It would not have made sense on most other cards.
THIS! I find myself able to pay far more items by cc owed to this.

Originally Posted by nick5000
Booking travels through bank of America travel center gives additional bonus. Any experiences with booking through them ? How's customer service if flights needs to be changed etc ? Are prices generally same as other places ?
Prices are comparable as elsewhere. You get 3 *additional* points/$ spent (so in my case 5.625/$ which is amazing) though the 3 additional points are capped at 9000 per year ($3000 in spend) which isn't much when talking about an annual travel budget. Still nice though.

HOWEVER, this only applies when booking online, not over the phone. Not a big deal but worth noting. Far worse though, I've had two terrible experiences wherein I was trying to buy travel on the site. I'd search for flights, select an itinerary, go all the way through the process to the point where you click to purchase. And I'd be given an error message saying that the flights were no longer available. This happened over and over and over and over, regardless of which itinerary I selected. And, I started from scratch and did the same search again, the same itineraries it said were no longer available would appear (saying things like '8 seats left at this price') and still no joy when trying to buy.

On the second instance I called to complain. They tried to book travel themselves (but also couldn't!) so I wound up buying the tickets directly from Delta and BofA customer service made a manual adjustment to my account. I got the 3 points/$ in the end but it was frustrating.

Still, I like the card.

EDIT: earlier in the thread there is mention of a platinum version of the card; I don't think that exists anymore. Signature only.

SECOND EDIT:

I was curious so I went and read the fine print. Slightly different than I understood, and also different than the customer service person understood apparently! The FAQs say:

How do I earn bonus points at the Bank of America Travel Center?
With the BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Visa Signature® credit card, you have the flexibility to purchase travel whenever you want, however you want, through any travel website or through your travel agent.
But when you book travel through the Travel Center, you’ll earn 1.5 bonus points for every $1 in qualifying purchases, in addition to your base points earn. That’s a total of 3 points for every $1 in qualifying purchases made at the Travel Center.

[So, it's supposed to be a total of 3 points, not 3 bonus points; this is not what the CSR gave me - they gave me the full 3, and I automatically earned the 2.625 on the purchase itself. Still, this total would be bonused since they reference the initial 1.5. So instead of 1.5 + 75% + 3 = 5.625 you'd get 3 + 75% = 5.25. Not quite as high but still high.]

Is there a limit to the bonus points I can earn at the Bank of America Travel Center?
Airline purchases made at the Travel Center are limited to 9,000 bonus points per year. There is no bonus point limit on other Travel Center purchases.

[This is interesting. Hotels and car rentals can add up so the fact that bonuses on them are not capped could be significant.]

Last edited by anthonymoody; Jun 17, 2015 at 3:26 pm
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Does anyone know whether travel booked via third party sites (ie: Priceline, Hotwire, Orbtiz, etc.) can also be used for travel credit redemption? The potential of 2.2% back is tempting.

LAX
I have had issues with Priceline hotel purchases showing up as travel. Sometimes they have and sometimes they show up as "PROFESSIONAL SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED" . You can't send secure messages or do an online chat for a fix and the first customer service guy I talked to on the phone was useless.
Will try my luck again but just so people are aware, Priceline shows up as travel about half the time.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by anthonymoody
[So, it's supposed to be a total of 3 points, not 3 bonus points; this is not what the CSR gave me - they gave me the full 3, and I automatically earned the 2.625 on the purchase itself. Still, this total would be bonused since they reference the initial 1.5. So instead of 1.5 + 75% + 3 = 5.625 you'd get 3 + 75% = 5.25. Not quite as high but still high.]
No, I think we get the 10-75% bonus only on the base miles. So it would be 1.5 +75% + 1.5 extra = 4.125 (if 75% bonus) or 3.15 (if 10% bonus).

Last edited by nick5000; Jun 26, 2015 at 12:14 am
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by nick5000
No, I think we get the 10-75% bonus only on the base miles. So it would be 1.5 +75% + 1.5 extra = 4.125 (if 75% bonus) or 3.15 (if 10% bonus).
I can confirm this. I purchased airline tickets through the BofA travel portal a few months ago and received a rewards rate of 4.125.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Does Uber count as a travel charge for redemption purposes with this card?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Does Uber count as a travel charge for redemption purposes with this card?
Yes. Do keep in mind this card has a 2500 minimum point redemption, like the A+, so small Uber transactions may not be redeemable.

Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Yes. Do keep in mind this card has a 2500 minimum point redemption, like the A+, so small Uber transactions may not be redeemable.

Great... Thanks! Looking to switch from the A+ to this at the 2.625% level. I pretty much only redeem on Uber.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Great... Thanks! Looking to switch from the A+ to this at the 2.625% level. I pretty much only redeem on Uber.
eh, get a capital one QS/QS One card if you use Uber often ... though capital one usually does triple pull for new apps

(20% credit until april 2016... if you use more than $1000 in Uber until april, you're "earning" $200 back)
https://help.uber.com/h/f37b22ff-25a...7-0e6748a7da6b
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
eh, get a capital one QS/QS One card if you use Uber often ... though capital one usually does triple pull for new apps

(20% credit until april 2016... if you use more than $1000 in Uber until april, you're "earning" $200 back)
https://help.uber.com/h/f37b22ff-25a...7-0e6748a7da6b
Yeah I know. After April...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.