Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card

20K points after $1,000 spend within 90 days.
No annual fee
No foreign transaction fees

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go
Print Wikipost

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Whether a purchase is considered a cash advance is more a function of the terminal and whether you get actual cash when you use it (vs. a product or service). Using the card at an ATM or bank branch will cause it to post as a cash advance, whereas buying tickets from a machine will not.

Anyway, their page doesn't mention anything about unattended terminal purchases being considered cash advances, though they do mention that "in rare cases" you'll have to enter the PIN to complete a purchase.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by flyou10
I have the BOA Travel Rewards Card. In July I am traveling to London. I understand that the card works fine overseas at places that is manned and you can sign for your purchase. However, when I called and asked the customer service rep about the Chip & Pin. She said if I use the pin an an unattended machine, like a train station and I enter my pin it will be a cash advanced (which is NOT ok because it is expensive).

Does anyone have personal experience with this card? If you use it at a machine and enter the pin, do they actually charge a cash advance??

Thanks!
It's not a cash advance. Rep was wrong.

In case you're worried, I have personal experience with the BoA card, using in Europe at an unattended kiosk with my PIN. Was not a cash advance.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:25 pm

Has anyone read or heard If BofA coming out with a new premium card? A few months ago there was a survey of a rumored new premium card.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:36 pm

I have the BOA Travel Rewards Card. In July I am traveling to London. I understand that the card works fine overseas at places that is manned and you can sign for your purchase. However, when I called and asked the customer service rep about the Chip & Pin. She said if I use the pin an an unattended machine, like a train station and I enter my pin it will be a cash advanced (which is NOT ok because it is expensive).

Does anyone have personal experience with this card? If you use it at a machine and enter the pin, do they actually charge a cash advance??

Thanks!
The Bank of America FAQ makes it pretty clear that PINs can be used for purchases at a merchant. They don't say anything about that being a cash advance, so I would feel pretty confident that it would be a normal credit transaction. https://www.bankofamerica.com/privac...ip-card-faq.go

I looked up the CVM list for the Bank of America cards recently, and they do all support online PIN as the 3rd option. That was what made me review their FAQ which to me makes it clear the card in PIN capable.

The CVM (card verification method) list for all the BofA VISA credit cards is:
1: Signature (paper)
2: No CVM required
3: Enciphered PIN verified online
from https://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/car...e%5B%5D=credit

But I have not actually tried this feature with the BofA Travel Rewards card which I use heavily in Europe. I almost did - I was prompted for a PIN at a ticket machine in Schiphol, and it was so unexpected (I was hoping for the No CVM case) and I didn't have the PIN handy, I used a different (debit) card. Next time I'll try using the PIN.

Last edited by AONwheels; Mar 19, 2017 at 4:44 pm
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90

In case you're worried, I have personal experience with the BoA card, using in Europe at an unattended kiosk with my PIN. Was not a cash advance.
OK - great! Thanks for confirming. That's what I expected, but I'm glad to know of your direct experience.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by MisterBill
Thanks.. that could be easier than redeeming for travel.

I figure I'll use this card for purchases while traveling outside of the US, since 1.65% and no FTF because anything else that I have. Although do I get the 10% bonus if I do not redeem to a BofA account? Confused there.
No - you lose the 10% bonus if you do not redeem to a BofA account.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:07 pm

Can Travel Rewards points be transferred to Merrill+ points if you have both cards?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Can Travel Rewards points be transferred to Merrill+ points if you have both cards?

Haha. I asked that question a few months ago and I'm still waiting on answer. Lol
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
Haha. I asked that question a few months ago and I'm still waiting on answer. Lol
Well I just got approved for Merrill+ so hopefully will be able to answer it in a week or so - would be really awesome if so.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:21 pm

Well I just got approved for Merrill+ so hopefully will be able to answer it in a week or so - would be really awesome if so.
You should be able to find out after you see the acct number online. Please let us know.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:45 am

Card showed up in my account today and was able to display the full account number. Tried to transfer in points from the TR card and got the following error:
We're sorry, your Points cannot be transferred because the accounts have different rewards programs. If you'd like to try another account, please type it in the box above.
Oh well! Guess I need to PC the Merrill+ to an AAA card to cash out the TR points once I've used the Merrill+ points.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:49 am

Card showed up in my account today and was able to display the full account number. Tried to transfer in points from the TR card and got the following error:

Oh well! Guess I need to PC the Merrill+ to an AAA card to cash out the TR points once I've used the Merrill+ points.

Imagine if you can combine points with Travel card. That would be insane. Earn 2.625 points and then transfer to redeem flights with Merrill. I guess that's why they don't allow. Isn't the AAA card gone? It's not on BofA site.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
Isn't the AAA card gone? It's not on BofA site.
Still available by clicking through from AAA website: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4017909
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
Whether a purchase is considered a cash advance is more a function of the terminal and whether you get actual cash when you use it (vs. a product or service). Using the card at an ATM or bank branch will cause it to post as a cash advance, whereas buying tickets from a machine will not.

Anyway, their page doesn't mention anything about unattended terminal purchases being considered cash advances, though they do mention that "in rare cases" you'll have to enter the PIN to complete a purchase.
I agree with this 100%. I figured the rep had to be wrong, but I was just looking to see if anyone else agreed with my view point.

Thanks Josh! I was really hoping someone with personal experience would chime in.

Now I just wish BOA would issue the cards with the contactless option. (not to mention the USA getting up to date with chip & pin. I feel that is way more secure than signature, but what do I know).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Now I just wish BOA would issue the cards with the contactless option. (not to mention the USA getting up to date with chip & pin. I feel that is way more secure than signature, but what do I know).
I suspect that those won't be forthcoming by most major issuers for a very long time. Even the Citi Costco card's contactless support isn't really promoted by them, not to mention AmEx and WF requiring explicit opt-in (and also aren't promoting it as a feature). At least there's the mobile wallets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.