Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card

20K points after $1,000 spend within 90 days.
No annual fee
No foreign transaction fees

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go
Print Wikipost

New BoA Travel Rewards Credit Cards, up to 2.625% travel credits.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Yeah I know. After April...
Not sure if my reading is correct, but amex everyday preferred might be better?

(only if the 50% bonus applies to the full uber 2x earning rate)

Amex Everyday Preferred: $95 annual fee

Uber: 2x points (normal)

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...n/default.aspx

If 50% applies (>30 purchases in a month), then you get 3x points

You can redeem towards Uber rides @ 100:1, essentially getting 3% back (if 50% applies), 0.375% more than TR's 2.625% max
100 Membership Rewards points are required for every $1 charged by Uber for Uber services. Points will be prorated for amounts between dollars (e.g., a $23.50 ride on Uber will require you to redeem 2,350 points).
You'll have to spend more than $25333 ($95 divided by the extra 0.375%) in Uber to cover the annual fee ($95) though
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Offer expires on July 31, 2018.

So you only have a few years
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA

(only if the 50% bonus applies to the full uber 2x earning rate)

Amex Everyday Preferred: $95 annual fee

Uber: 2x points (normal)

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...n/default.aspx

If 50% applies (>30 purchases in a month), then you get 3x points

You can redeem towards Uber rides @ 100:1, essentially getting 3% back (if 50% applies), 0.375% more than TR's 2.625% max

You'll have to spend more than $25333 ($95 divided by the extra 0.375%) in Uber to cover the annual fee ($95) though
My use case would be non bonus spend (1.5 MR on EDP) earning 2.625% used to redeem against Uber purchases.

I spend $12k a year on Uber, which would net 36k MR on EDP, or 36k TYP on the TY Premier.

Obviously 21.5% is worth more than 36k MR or TYP.

My problem is I have too much miscellaneous spend that earns no bonuses. :/

Is 1.5 MR > 2.625%... That depends I guess. I did redeem SQ Suites SFO to SYD recently at >10cpp. But it's unlikely I'll be doing that again in the near future.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
My problem is I have too much miscellaneous spend that earns no bonuses. :/
thats true.... the 4.5% everyday preferred grocery would have been an incentive if you actually use it...

too bad...
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:23 pm

good article on why this card may be costing you money:

http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/consumer-watchdog/bank-of-america-preferred-rewards
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by maxim730
good article on why this card may be costing you money:

http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/con...ferred-rewards
as many people would say (and repeated many times above): anything in your Merrill Edge Brokerage/IRA account still qualifies for the 25k-100k

With Plat or Plat Honors, we get 30-100 free equity/ETF trades.

why not take advantage of BoA/Edge? they give us free trades (really hard to skim off bid/ask on something like VTI), and free bonus from CC

If you're keeping 100k as cash on a checking account, then you should read up on personal finance
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Special offers

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go

20K bonus points.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:57 am

I am getting by UPS, my travel card today or tomorrow.

For those seasoned experts, what do you do purchase wise with this card to maximise returns? 8)

Tia!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:33 pm

BoA - Travel Rewards and maximising points

So what, in a nutshell do you do, if you have the subject card?

I have the shiny blue card.....and would like to know what you all do in order to get accrue the most amount of miles on the travel rewards card?

Oh, and TIA....... ^
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:36 pm

seeing that it's a flat 1.5x (up to 2.625x with Preferred Rewards), and double points with Travel center

I only use it on non-category spend (stuff not covered by my other cards)

and it's not miles... it's "miles" (you redeem it at a 1:100 rate against travel purchases. 100 points allows you to redeem against $1)
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:12 am

@paperwastage - thanks. what do you categorisse as "non-categtory spend" purchases?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by B7EIGHT7
@paperwastage - thanks. what do you categorisse as "non-categtory spend" purchases?
this card has two categories:
Code:
"normal/non-category" - earning regular rate
"via travel center" - earning double rate
other cards have more categories (with more points for each category):

Discover IT
Code:
"normal/non-category" - earning regular 1% rate
"rotating categories" - earning 5% rate... currently = department stores & amazon
Amex Blue Cash
Code:
"normal/non-category" - earning regular 1%
"gas" - 2%
"groceries" - 3%
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Code:
"normal/non-category" - earning 1%
"dining" - 2%

to maximize cashback:
---> would use Discover on Amazon (5%), Amex blue cash on gas/groceires (2-3%), BoA Travel rewards for anything outside those categories (1.5-2.625x)
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:57 pm

this card has two categories:
Code:
"normal/non-category" - earning regular rate
"via travel center" - earning double rate
other cards have more categories (with more points for each category):

Discover IT
Code:
"normal/non-category" - earning regular 1% rate
"rotating categories" - earning 5% rate... currently = department stores & amazon
Amex Blue Cash
Code:
"normal/non-category" - earning regular 1%
"gas" - 2%
"groceries" - 3%
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Code:
"normal/non-category" - earning 1%
"dining" - 2%

to maximize cashback:
---> would use Discover on Amazon (5%), Amex blue cash on gas/groceires (2-3%), BoA Travel rewards for anything outside those categories (1.5-2.625x)
Wouldnt it be better to use the Bank Of America 3-2-1 than the Amex as the Preferred bonus stacks iwth the 3-2-1 just like the travel one?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:09 pm

I recall reading on another board that points from this card can be transferred to the FIA Fidelity AMEX. Is that true? How is it done?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by tjguitar85
Wouldnt it be better to use the Bank Of America 3-2-1 than the Amex as the Preferred bonus stacks iwth the 3-2-1 just like the travel one?
Originally Posted by MisterBill
I recall reading on another board that points from this card can be transferred to the FIA Fidelity AMEX. Is that true? How is it done?
Phantom707 here, jaded as ever. No, correction, more jaded. After I got express permission from the administrator of Saverocity, I made the Doctor of Credit article on WorldPoints. And then I got banned from Saverocity for a "conflict of interest" for making a post about an even more well-known technique. He even IP banned my entire university's IP address just because I used it, despite the fact that I already told him about that. And he continues to act like nothing ever happened and refuses to even acknowledge anything, with so much freaking hypocrisy on the Saverocity forums that it sickens me.

Anyways, I suggest against the Bank of America Cash Rewards card because it's limited to $1500 per quarter in combined gas and grocery spend. Thus, if you spend more than that in those categories, it may be smarter to get the Travel Rewards card. Plus, the Travel Rewards card doesn't need bonus categories since the bonus is on all spend.

Yes, it's true that you can transfer rewards to the Fidelity Amex card. In your online profile, go to the "Rewards" tab. There should be an option to transfer points. There, you should be able to input your card number for your Fidelity card. Once it's transferred, you can withdraw to a Fidelity card for pure cash. Or you can use the WorldPoints flights redemption. This also works if you have a Fidelity Visa.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 20, 2015 at 6:07 pm Reason: removed rude comments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.