Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If you only want to withdraw cash, then I recommend not using a credit card. Even the best credit card in terms of no fee and best rate will get you on the cash advance fees/interest.

My recommendation is to use the PenFed debit card at bank ATMs only (don't use at standalone ATMs). (Note that Bank Hapoalim ATMs randomly decide that they don't accept international cards.) With that, you'll be fine.

Though if you have a credit card that doesn't charge a fee, you may as well use that wherever possible as most places take credit card in Israel. Cash is really needed only for most (but not all) public transportation.

And to your question of which cards, there are a number of cards that you can use that won't charge a fee for withdrawing internationally that have been discussed. I recommend State Farm and others here have recommended Charles Schwabb. Both will get the job done. You also, depending on where you live and how much you keep in your checking account, may have other options such as TD Premier checking which doesn't charge any fees and has no monthly maintenance fees, provided you maintain a minimum monthly balance of $2500.
Thanks for your tips.
Yes, I used Leumi ATM machine.
I know I can also go into the bank and ask them to swipe the card and give me more cash than the ATM withdrawal limit.

I will look into Schwab and State Farm ... and I would also keep you posted about my charge with PenFed, thanks for your help.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:35 am

Can confirm, Capital One 360 does not charge ATM fees in China, and Chinese ATMs don't tack on an extra fee either.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by jumperabv3
Thanks for your tips.
Yes, I used Leumi ATM machine.
I know I can also go into the bank and ask them to swipe the card and give me more cash than the ATM withdrawal limit.

I will look into Schwab and State Farm ... and I would also keep you posted about my charge with PenFed, thanks for your help.
Although a card issuer states that there are "Absolutely No Fees", that does not address ATM fees or (if passed through) the VISA ISA 1% fee. The ATM fees are not charged by the card issuer so their disclosure doesn't need to mention it. Although the VISA ISA 1% fee is charged to the card issuer (not customer) by VISA, most debit card issuers pass that fee through. It IS actually a card issuer charge typically matching their cost from VISA, and therefore should (must?) be disclosed in the pricing schedule. Bank reps often insist that this ISA fee is not charged by them, but by VISA - they are simply wrong! The issuer has no obligation to pass through the fee - it is 100% their choice. Virtually all debit cards pass through the VISA ISA 1% network use fee (except Schwab and reported State Farm).

The big benefit of State farm is that they reimburse ALL charged fees, whereas Schwab only reimburses their debit card ATM cash withdrawal fees. Thus, any other sneaky fee charged by the ATM operator such as balance inquiry, etc are NOT reimbursed by Schwab. Note that any adjustment to exchange rate is not reimbursed (and should be disclosed but there are reports are that it does happen without disclosure)

In addition, getting cash from a bank teller can easily generate a "convenience" or other fee, so be sure to test that to.

And, some cards that have no cash withdrawal FTF fee have purchase FTF fee.

So, to be truly fee free, ALL ATM fees, in person bank cash withdrawal (which are confusingly called "cash advances" since the bank you are withdrawing funds from doesn't yet have your money, but not treated as cash advances re cash advance fees) fees, purchase fees, and exchange rate padding also need to be considered.

Last edited by uds0; Jan 11, 2015 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Can confirm, Capital One 360 does not charge ATM fees in China, and Chinese ATMs don't tack on an extra fee either.
Thanks for that good news.

How's the exchange rate compared to "average" that date?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by uds0
Although a card issuer states that there are "Absolutely No Fees", that does not address ATM fees or (if passed through) the VISA ISA 1% fee. The ATM fees are not charged by the card issuer so their disclosure doesn't need to mention it. Although the VISA ISA 1% fee is charged to the card issuer (not customer) by VISA, most debit card issuers pass that fee through. It IS actually a card issuer charge typically matching their cost from VISA, and therefore should (must?) be disclosed in the pricing schedule. Bank reps often insist that this ISA fee is not charged by them, but by VISA - they are simply wrong! The issuer has no obligation to pass through the fee - it is 100% their choice. Virtually all debit cards pass through the VISA ISA 1% network use fee (except Schwab and reported State Farm).

The big benefit of State farm is that they reimburse ALL charged fees, whereas Schwab only reimburses their debit card ATM cash withdrawal fees. Thus, any other sneaky fee charged by the ATM operator such as balance inquiry, etc are NOT reimbursed by Schwab. Note that any adjustment to exchange rate is not reimbursed (and should be disclosed but there are reports are that it does happen without disclosure)

In addition, getting cash from a bank teller can easily generate a "convenience" or other fee, so be sure to test that to.

And, some cards that have no cash withdrawal FTF fee have purchase FTF fee.

So, to be truly fee free, ALL ATM fees, in person bank cash withdrawal (which are confusingly called "cash advances" since the bank you are withdrawing funds from doesn't yet have your money, but not treated as cash advances re cash advance fees) fees, purchase fees, and exchange rate padding also need to be considered.
If you need another incentive to test out state farm bank, you get turbo tax deluxe for free. I decided to sign up for state farm bank as a secondary to schwab. It can't hurt since they both do not have minimum balances (unless you get interest checking with state farm, but I have a different account for that). I also found out that my local bank does not pass a specific cross-border fee(their debit card is mastercard). However, they had a POS transaction and ATM withdrawal limit of $500 and were really slow in responding.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:05 pm

No, not in Israel.
In Israel you go to a Leumi branch and you hand over your card and Passport, then you withdraw as much as you want (I think it's up to 10,000 Shekels which is approx $2,500).

I know it because I also hold a Halifax Clarity Card and I used it a lot in many countries to withdraw cash. It is a British card, in GBP currency, one most of you might not be familiar with, but it's an amazing card - not only you never ever pay any fee to use it, you even get 5 GBP every month you spend 300 GBP with it! (not including cash transactions)

I must say having a GBP and USD cards that don't charge you for FX is a good thing to have ... I just booked a flight for myself and my wife, I used my Citibank to pay to Expedia in USD and my Halifax to pay in Euros to Air Malta
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:23 am

On Friday I went to the ATM and took out 400 Israeli Shekels.
The USD/ILS exchange rate at that time was 3.95 (Shekels to 1 dollar).

So that means PenFed should charge me approximately $101.26 USD.

I'm waiting for the transaction to post and confirm whether that's what they charged me or not.
Well, the transaction was posted today for $101.55 - which is 3.939 - that seems about right because the exchange rate did touch that line when I actually took out the cash probably, so it seems to be PERFECT! ^

Also as I said if you pay the balance on the very day you make the ATM withdrawal there IS NO interest rate charged because PenFed counts the day you initiate the transfer as the VALUE date of your Card Repayment which is great !!

Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:29 am

Well, the transaction was posted today for $101.55 - which is 3.939 - that seems about right because the exchange rate did touch that line when I actually took out the cash probably, so it seems to be PERFECT! ^

Also as I said if you pay the balance on the very day you make the ATM withdrawal there IS NO interest rate charged because PenFed counts the day you initiate the transfer as the VALUE date of your Card Repayment which is great !!

To be clear, this is their credit card (not debit)?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:48 am

To be clear, this is their credit card (not debit)?
Yes, that's credit ... I'd rather have credit and not debit, because this way you build your credit and can apply for many more credit cards to earn miles and so forth ... I recognize the value of a debit card (just applied for one from Schwab today) but still I would prefer to use more credit than debit, and simply pay it off the moment I use it so I don't pay any interest but on the same time increase my chances to get more credit cards to earn miles etc.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
But you pay a cash advance fee?

You'd rather pay a fee than have a debit card which will give you free withdrawals?
And even if you try to pay back "immediately," what do you do when you can't pay back immediately, such as no phone/internet access?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:44 am

You'd rather pay a fee than have a debit card which will give you free withdrawals?
And even if you try to pay back "immediately," what do you do when you can't pay back immediately, such as no phone/internet access?
The official fee schedule on their website states that they have no cash advance fee, and the APR is the same as the one for purchases. I'm assuming that there is no grace period for cash advances though.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by darthrevan1211
The official fee schedule on their website states that they have no cash advance fee, and the APR is the same as the one for purchases. I'm assuming that there is no grace period for cash advances though.

Since Andrews also has no cash advance fee and low interest rate, I tried a cash advance at a local ATM. The ATM tried to charge a $3 fee! Wonder why there was no fee charged with yours?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:31 am

No, I don't pay any cash advance fee, none whatsoever.

I don't pay any fee, it's just as good as a debit card, just the bonus is that it builds your credit, which you can use to get more credit cards later on.

Then I don't make a withdrawal, pure and simple.
I would only withdraw if I would be able to pay it back same day (I used my mobile to do that, just 1 minute after the withdrawal was successful from the ATM I made a transfer).
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:51 am

Since Andrews also has no cash advance fee and low interest rate, I tried a cash advance at a local ATM. The ATM tried to charge a $3 fee! Wonder why there was no fee charged with yours?
Honestly I don't know sir, but I researched this card very well before I ordered it ... I don't know why yours is charging a fee ... but mine is charging none ... that's why I like it.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:50 pm

Honestly I don't know sir, but I researched this card very well before I ordered it ... I don't know why yours is charging a fee ... but mine is charging none ... that's why I like it.
The ATM operator was charging the fee, not Andrews. My ATM was USA, remind me if your's was non-USA. My understanding is that international transactions do not typically get charged an ATM fee in Europe for US cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.