Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:13 pm

i actually haven't met the requirements for the 15,000 bonus miles because i still have not spent $750 for March. i was wondering if the refund from the february purchase automatically disqualified me from receiving the bonus - since the refund means i didn't spend $750 for february.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by sleepyinboston
i got the spend $750 in january, february and march, earn 15,000 bonus miles offer. i met the spending for january and february. a defective item that i purchased in february for $799 was returned to the online store for a replacement, but unfortunately, the item is now out of stock, so the store refunded my credit card. am i out of luck? does the refunded amount net against the original charge? or will it help if i spend $1,500 in march to make up for the refunded amount? my account now shows a large credit (negative balance)
Originally Posted by sleepyinboston
i actually haven't met the requirements for the 15,000 bonus miles because i still have not spent $750 for March. i was wondering if the refund from the february purchase automatically disqualified me from receiving the bonus - since the refund means i didn't spend $750 for february.

I had a similar, but slightly different situation. For each of the 3 months, I made sure to spend around $850 just in case I needed to return something. It turns out I did. I bought pre-sale post season baseball tickets in September, and my team did not make it far enough in the playoffs. So MLB refunded the amount of the ticket which was $95.

My 3 months were August - Oct. The $95 credit was posted in towards the end of Oct, I didn't notice it in time, and it actually put me just under the $750 threshold (like around $745) for the month of October.

It ended up being a drawn out ordeal, which I posted about here in this thread at the time. But I got my miles. After I called and filed a case regarding the issue, Barclays finally counted the credit towards the September statement when the original charge was made for the purposes of this promo. I had over $850 in charges in September, so the $95 credit still left me over $750 for that month.

Based on my experience, I think your 15k miles might go ahead and post automatically if the balance for all 3 months were each totaled over $750. I think the reason why my miles did not post automatically was because of the initial $745 total for October. My 15k miles had to be manually entered by Barclays, and it did not post until my February statement which was about 4 months after the promo ended.

But what my experience does show is that if it doesn't post as expected, you can call in and successfully protest.

Don't know if that helps or not. LOL
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:26 pm

Datapoint: 3/24/13 Wife and I applied for the card on first page, first (only) link. First time for both of us with Barclay's. I got the 'technical error' page, looked at my application status page, got the instant approval for 6k.

Made a rookie mistake on the wife's app. I stupidly used my email address on her app and got a 'sorry need more time to reconsider'. (This is her first AOR, though mini, thought it was strange cuz she has better credit than me) I checked the app status page for her (using her actual email not knowing I used mine on her app) and got a sorry can't find the app, then thought about the email address mistake and used mine (plus her last 4 ssn) and she got approved for 6k as well. Phew...

Last edited by focusmmuter; Mar 25, 2013 at 8:03 am
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:55 am

Data Points: 3/25/13

Myself: US AIR Card currently open since 6/11. Used once or twice.
Instant Approval for 2nd card via 35k link (after technical difficulty screen)
780+ FICO, 7 Experian inquiries in 6 months. This is #8.

Wife: US AIR Card currently open since 6/11. Used once or twice.
Instant Approval for 2nd card via 35k link (after technical difficulty screen)
760+ FICO, 5 Experian inquiries in 6 months. This is #6.

I was concerned about wasting a pull but I have nothing too valuable to add right now besides Chase, and Chase reconsideration is always easy and pleasant.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Question Got Denied for 2nd card in 3mo after 1st card

Data points:
1) 12/20/12 applied for 1st card, 40K offer, approved, and bought gas and shelved card
2) 3/22/13 applied online for 2nd card, 35k offer, got message processing so I called recon line this AM.

I told rep I wanted 2 cards to separate the spend. Was told bank policy not to provide 2 of the similar (US) products. I asked if it is a time thing, i.e. can I apply later he said it is possible policy would change.

I wonder is it because I didn't wait the 6 months or if I didn't spend enough on the 1st card.

Any suggestions from folks w/ more experience churning this one?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
Data Points: 3/25/13

7 Experian inquiries in 6 months. This is #8.

5 Experian inquiries in 6 months. This is #6.
So, they pulled Experian for you? I guess that's what they do in your state
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:38 am

Anyone know if baggage fees are waived?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:24 pm

I actually haven't seen the pulls show yet, but know from experience that AX, Chase, Citi, and Barclays all pull Experian. (Colorado)

EDITED: Barclays pulled Trans Union this time! Far fewer inquiries on there.

EDITED: Citi and Chase did pull Experian this time.

Last edited by Denver Enzo; Mar 28, 2013 at 9:11 am Reason: Trans Union and Experian pulls
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
So I applied for this card about 35 days ago through one of the fee waived + 35k links and got rejected for having too high of a debt to income ratio. Was kind of sloppy with my app as I'd never been rejected and have several accounts in good standing with a transunion score of 749 so I thought I would be fine. Had recently reported about 25% usage on 3 different card statement balances due to recent travel (previously read <30% was fine, now realize it needs to be <10%!). All have been paid at this point, never carried a balance or missed a payment in my life.

The caveat with all this is I'm a graduating medical student (chase looks at professional students differently than undergrads, have never had issues with them) so I have about 180k in loans in good standing with only a 60k income reported (based on tuition and living expenses).

Since I've had no problem applying with chase (CSP, freedom, MPE), amex (hilton surpass, delta gold, prior PRG), and citi (TY premier, hilton no AF), I'm wondering if this is a barclays issue or simply having a high reported usage at the time of applying. I really want to utilize the US Air offer before the merger and I think this window will be closing soon - anyone have input on whether I could apply for this and what the time period between apps would need to be?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for input!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:52 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by mightyducksman
So I applied for this card about 35 days ago through one of the fee waived + 35k links and got rejected for having too high of a debt to income ratio. Was kind of sloppy with my app as I'd never been rejected and have several accounts in good standing with a transunion score of 749 so I thought I would be fine. Had recently reported about 25% usage on 3 different card statement balances due to recent travel (previously read <30% was fine, now realize it needs to be <10%!). All have been paid at this point, never carried a balance or missed a payment in my life.

The caveat with all this is I'm a graduating medical student (chase looks at professional students differently than undergrads, have never had issues with them) so I have about 180k in loans in good standing with only a 60k income reported (based on tuition and living expenses).

Since I've had no problem applying with chase (CSP, freedom, MPE), amex (hilton surpass, delta gold, prior PRG), and citi (TY premier, hilton no AF), I'm wondering if this is a barclays issue or simply having a high reported usage at the time of applying. I really want to utilize the US Air offer before the merger and I think this window will be closing soon - anyone have input on whether I could apply for this and what the time period between apps would need to be?

Another med student here - did not have any issue getting the card. My loans are around half as yours, so that might have been a factor. I did get less credit than my chase cards, so maybe Barclays is the culprit.

Good luck out there.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia

Do you know the official reason for denial? Barclays looks at pulls as well as new credit issued over a 12 month period. Some of the other banks look at pulls in the last 6 months.

Many people who report to have good credit scores around 800 on this board were denied for Barclays because of the number of new accounts and pulls over the past 12 months.

Barclays doesn't like churners.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Finally jumped on this. Applied via the link on page 1, received system error after applying, checked app status and saw instant approval for 7.5k. Never had a card with Barclay's before, and I'm hoping for a chance to churn this once or so before the AA merge.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jeanie
Do you know the official reason for denial? Barclays looks at pulls as well as new credit issued over a 12 month period. Some of the other banks look at pulls in the last 6 months.

Many people who report to have good credit scores around 800 on this board were denied for Barclays because of the number of new accounts and pulls over the past 12 months.

Barclays doesn't like churners.
The official reason given was too high debt to income ratio. I think the high loans scared them off as it would any rational person. I did not call recon as I probably should have. They didn't mention credit pulls - I had 3 in the past 12 months (don't think that should raise red flags, though). I don't do AoR's or anything, generally just pick up one good offer every 3-4 months.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by aalenya
Question to anyone who received the 750$ a month for 3 months for 15k miles offer.

Did anyone who got this offer do more than 1 purchase on the card before not using it?

I did 5 of these cards one for myself, and then 4 for my other family members. Anyway 2/5 got the offer, both of those did 1 purchase then stopped using the card. The other 2 cards had 2 purchases and then stopped using the card, these did not get the offer. The fifth card is my brother who probably elected not to get emails/offers and may have or may not have got the offer but says he never saw an email for it either. He only did 1 purchase the first day he got the card and got the card before all of us, so certainly should have got the offer.
I think I had 3 purchases for a total of <$50
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
The official reason given was too high debt to income ratio. I think the high loans scared them off as it would any rational person. I did not call recon as I probably should have. They didn't mention credit pulls - I had 3 in the past 12 months (don't think that should raise red flags, though). I don't do AoR's or anything, generally just pick up one good offer every 3-4 months.
I have the same problem with having multiple rental properties in my name. (and mortgages to match). Although I get positive cash flow on the rental houses, Barclays seem to use debt to income ratio much more than the other CC's. (Chase, Citi AA personals, US bank, credit unions, etc). I have a 6 figure income and Barclay's give me "joke" $2K CL's (US Airways applied 01/11 and cancelled 01/12, NFL card approved last month); other CC's give me >$15-25K CL's! They want to do another "hard" pull to increase CL--NOT worth the extra hard pull!! Easier to apply for another rewards CC that pull TU.

I just pay the Barclay's NFL card multiple times each month to not have too high utilization! Even a $500 statment balance on Barclays NFL w/$2K CL ($2500 spend for $400 statement balance!! ) drops my FICO's. The US Airways CC, I bought $5 gas & put in sock drawer. Nice to have 40K US into my account!

I will take both signup bonuses!!!

Last edited by chemist661; Mar 25, 2013 at 9:06 pm Reason: add last sentence

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.