Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by kmersh
testing requirements are just in a sense hygiene theatre .

Most accurate statement on this thread.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
CDC testing for US travel: Transit stopover scenario

I am a fully vaccinated US citizen traveling from MAA to JFK via Singapore.
As per the CDC guidelines, I will get myself tested the day before.
My flight has a 5 hr layover in Singapore. If I wish to enter Singapore during my transit layover, do I need to get myself retested in Singapore before boarding the flight to New York? I will have my luggage checked directly to JFK and have boarding passes for both sectors issued when I check in at MAA. I am eligible to enter Singapore.

Thank you
Old May 21, 2022, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by hdoraisamy
I am a fully vaccinated US citizen traveling from MAA to JFK via Singapore.
As per the CDC guidelines, I will get myself tested the day before.
My flight has a 5 hr layover in Singapore. If I wish to enter Singapore during my transit layover, do I need to get myself retested in Singapore before boarding the flight to New York? I will have my luggage checked directly to JFK and have boarding passes for both sectors issued when I check in at MAA. I am eligible to enter Singapore.

Thank you
Assuming it's a single ticket,no. Although 5 hours seems pretty tight to do something substantive. I guess maybe go a few stops on the train and grab a meal at a hawker center!
Old May 21, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Assuming it's a single ticket,no. Although 5 hours seems pretty tight to do something substantive. I guess maybe go a few stops on the train and grab a meal at a hawker center!
Thank you! If this is possible, I might stick to the Jewel. I spent time there coming in, but realized there's lots more to see
FlyerEC and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by gojko88
The attestation is still formally required in physical form - whether check-in agents actually request it or not is a YMMV situation. I've certainly never been asked to produce it after landing in the US.
My recent BKK-JFK flight, JL front line agents were overzealous on making passengers filling out pointless forms and they constantly ask for it in HND transit (which was a terrible experience such as waiting in a long line while they keep checking same thing over and over). Again, it's Japan way to adhere strictly to the rules and they will get lost if they "ignore" it.

I took online proctor test and had to laugh because it's too easy to keep it "NEGATIVE" so would recommend online testing to reduce "worry about getting caught with positive case". It's just a massive farce and it boils me that I have to waste 15+ minutes and $20 to comply with stupid requirement that do nothing to reduce COVID risks coming into US.
friedablass, Silver Fox and kmersh like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:42 am

I truly hope that the US will soon stop making travelers (especially vaccinated US citizens) perform this now unnecessary test (for all practical purposes) before coming home. 'What fresh hell' has become very stale.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:44 am

NY Times story (with no substantive update)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/t...ng-us-cdc.html

Unbelievably it doesn't mention that the testing requirement does not apply to land crossings.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747
My recent BKK-JFK flight, JL front line agents were overzealous on making passengers filling out pointless forms and they constantly ask for it in HND transit (which was a terrible experience such as waiting in a long line while they keep checking same thing over and over). Again, it's Japan way to adhere strictly to the rules and they will get lost if they "ignore" it.

I took online proctor test and had to laugh because it's too easy to keep it "NEGATIVE" so would recommend online testing to reduce "worry about getting caught with positive case". It's just a massive farce and it boils me that I have to waste 15+ minutes and $20 to comply with stupid requirement that do nothing to reduce COVID risks coming into US.
OMG, yes. We 4 completed and printed this ridiculous "I promise" form, 7 pages, I might add. and No one asked for it. ugh. (yesterday Italy-USA)
Old May 21, 2022, 7:48 am

Unbelievably it doesn't mention that the testing requirement does not apply to land crossings.
It does NOT We crossed over from Puerto Vallarta to San Diego through the Tijuana airport (in March) just so we didn't have to test. We had another trip coming up in 2 days and did not want to take a chance. Pointless and just false sense of health "security".
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Summary please.
EmailKid likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gojko88
The attestation is still formally required in physical form - whether check-in agents actually request it or not is a YMMV situation. I've certainly never been asked to produce it after landing in the US.
AA collects this electronically as a requirement for OLCI; it takes 30 seconds to fill in (they collect contact tracing and attestation forms separately, but it's all online) No one ever asked or said anything about a physical form. As long as the required field are filled in and you upload a PDF of a negative test result it will let you check in and no one ever asks for anything again.

It's also very obvious that no one is actually checking your covid test (hence the need for the attestation). You upload the pdf and you can check in immediately (there is no wait for it to be verified). I've been considering "accidentally" uploading a recently downloaded restaurant menu or something (sorry, I accidentally picked the wrong file) just to see if it will still let me check in.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by bvmcginnis
I truly hope that the US will soon stop making travelers (especially vaccinated US citizens) perform this now unnecessary test (for all practical purposes) before coming home. 'What fresh hell' has become very stale.
The CDC now is recommendeding to test for internal flights so I doubt they will stop this any time soon
LuckyStrike likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by washeelers747

I was talking to a friend who works for one of the proctoring companies in the corporate office and I mentioned my concern about getting stuck overseas and he said not to worry and then told me how to keep it negative, it is so easy that honestly, it is a farce and I could easily see someone making an innocent mistake and accidentally keeping it negative.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd also like to put in a word to the eMed/Abbott people to make the test box smaller for those of us who are Team Carryon Only
Old May 22, 2022, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by kmersh
I was talking to a friend who works for one of the proctoring companies in the corporate office and I mentioned my concern about getting stuck overseas and he said not to worry and then told me how to keep it negative, it is so easy that honestly, it is a farce and I could easily see someone making an innocent mistake and accidentally keeping it negative.
oh ok. i always provide an accurate and truthful result
finchy168 likes this.

Last edited by michael1023; May 22, 2022 at 9:39 am Reason: update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.