Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old Dec 3, 21, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old May 17, 22, 6:25 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
Are you saying that a US citizen can be denied entry upon arrival to the US and sent back to the country they came from if they fail to produce a negative test result? I was under the impression that they can't do that and is the reason why there's no test requirement for land entry.
No, they cannot. However, the individual can be fined for falsifying the attestation and/or the airline can be fined for not properly verifying documentation. Local health authorities can check and possibly enforce (or try to enforce) quarantines for people without valid test results.
Old May 17, 22, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced View Post
I am aware of that, and my comment pertains to it.
It's WAY beyond you being concerned about having to take a test - it's allowing emergency approval of meds/vaccines and funding for people to get medicare coverage outside of normal acceptance. You having to take a test to flyback to the US is a VERY SMALL part of the emergency order being extended. Without this order LOTS of things even your insurance provider are required to do will no longer be required. Not going to argue on how this is not over or over as that is a rathole conversation on FT, just re-iterating DCJoe1's comment that it's not about people being irked on testing, it's to ensure critical things state agencies and other health groups depend on remain for now.
chrisny2, progapanda and Smiley90 like this.
Old May 17, 22, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
It's WAY beyond you being concerned about having to take a test - it's allowing emergency approval of meds/vaccines and funding for people to get medicare coverage outside of normal acceptance. You having to take a test to flyback to the US is a VERY SMALL part of the emergency order being extended. Without this order LOTS of things even your insurance provider are required to do will no longer be required. Not going to argue on how this is not over or over as that is a rathole conversation on FT, just re-iterating DCJoe1's comment that it's not about people being irked on testing, it's to ensure critical things state agencies and other health groups depend on remain for now.
Yes, and again, the Order requiring negative tests for those arriving to the US by air, can be rescinded at any time by the CDC director. Such an action does not depend on the PHE expiring.
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 17, 22, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Transcript: Rubio Stumps Fauci On COVID Testing Travel Requirements, Illegal Immigration - Press Releases - U.S. Senator for Florida, Marco Rubio (senate.gov)

This is potentially (notice the boldface)significant. Rubio has a degree of clout in the GOP, is media savvy, represents Florida (a large state with a large AA hub), and is in the middle of a reelection campaign that will help determine control of the Senate. If he decides to make a big deal about this, it could make some waves.
Old May 18, 22, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
Transcript: Rubio Stumps Fauci On COVID Testing Travel Requirements, Illegal Immigration - Press Releases - U.S. Senator for Florida, Marco Rubio (senate.gov)

This is potentially (notice the boldface)significant. Rubio has a degree of clout in the GOP, is media savvy, represents Florida (a large state with a large AA hub), and is in the middle of a reelection campaign that will help determine control of the Senate. If he decides to make a big deal about this, it could make some waves.
I am not really sure anything will change until the Administration wants it to change. I was talking with the son of a neighbor who is visiting his parents. He works at USAMRIID (United States Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Disease) and he was saying that not many folks at USAMRIID feel that a INTL Testing Requirement does not do any good at all. (I should point out though I am not sure it makes a difference, USAMRIID and the CDC have a tense relationship since the CDC shut down some of the Bio-Safety Level 4 facilities for a period time at USAMRIID).

He said there is no way that an INTL testing requirement will keep out the virus nor it its variants, it is wishful thinking to believe that it will keep infected people off the aircraft and then there is the administration which is being left the airlines and not every employee is going to be 100% diligent in their checks.

In his opinion (as a Virologist) the single best thing the Government can do is work with the various vaccine manufacturers to refine the vaccine so that it works for a longer period of time and has broader coverage. He said antivirals that can be orally administered in the home is also important, but testing requirements are just in a sense hygiene theatre (but he does feel that the Administration and the CDC are coming from a good place).

With regards to Rubio, he may or may not make a stink about the INTL testing requirement, but I doubt it will make a difference, for whatever reason the Administration and the CDC feel it is beneficial and I do not seem them bowing to pressure, no matter how much I would like them to do so.

Heck just the other day the CDC recommended folks should take a test before a domestic flight, this does not sound to me like they are throwing in the towel and bowing to pressure.

Last edited by kmersh; May 18, 22 at 7:52 am Reason: add further thought
Old May 18, 22, 8:51 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, AC*A
Maybe the pressure is building with Rubio's comments, compounded with the hospitality industry lobbying hard. Interesting/thoughtful article in Bloomberg today: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...urting-america

White House Covid Press conference this morning, wonder if they'll say anything or just talk about how they are giving out more tests and be very careful.
kirkwoodj, 84fiero and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 18, 22, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by duder View Post
Maybe the pressure is building with Rubio's comments, compounded with the hospitality industry lobbying hard. Interesting/thoughtful article in Bloomberg today: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...urting-america

White House Covid Press conference this morning, wonder if they'll say anything or just talk about how they are giving out more tests and be very careful.
narrator: nothing was said
Old May 18, 22, 10:16 am

Obviously this all matters to us Flyertalkers a lot. I think we are projecting onto the average American, and thus the average politician, way too much. This isn't something most people know anything about, nor would care to press on with their representatives. It's a niche issue in the grand scheme of things. Masks on domestic flights were a MUCH bigger deal because that was something the average American was much more likely to personally deal with. Just want to temper expectations that "pressure is building". We all want to perceive it that way (and personally I agree that the requirement is ridiculous), but I just don't think this is very high on anyone's radar as a big issue that needs fixing immediately. It was a much bigger deal in the UK, for instance, because so many more people there travel internationally for their beach holidays. Much less common in the US.
Old May 18, 22, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
It's a niche issue in the grand scheme of things.
But is it? Think of the millions of potential revenue not being realized because thousands of travelers aren't traveling internationally because they don't want to screw with the BS test to get back home.
LETTERBOY, florens and VCURamFan like this.
Old May 18, 22, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Please dont drop the testing requirement so my international trips can remain sanely priced and with less muricans.

Yall can have fun with your overpriced domestic airfare, hotels, and rental cars.
ExpatExp and nk15 like this.
Old May 18, 22, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
Obviously this all matters to us Flyertalkers a lot. I think we are projecting onto the average American, and thus the average politician, way too much. This isn't something most people know anything about, nor would care to press on with their representatives. It's a niche issue in the grand scheme of things. Masks on domestic flights were a MUCH bigger deal because that was something the average American was much more likely to personally deal with. Just want to temper expectations that "pressure is building". We all want to perceive it that way (and personally I agree that the requirement is ridiculous), but I just don't think this is very high on anyone's radar as a big issue that needs fixing immediately. It was a much bigger deal in the UK, for instance, because so many more people there travel internationally for their beach holidays. Much less common in the US.
Its a niche issue yes, but its a niche issue with richer well-to-do families, including relatives and families of politicians and officials, and also wealthier older retirees. The exact demographic that has a lot of influence in the discourse and shaping public policy.

If the GOP makes big waves about this and makes it a partisan issue, unfortunately it will make the other side dig their heels and ask for the testing requirement to stay, in order to not give a 'win' to the republican side. The best way forward to end this testing requirement is to keep it as nonpartisan as possible and just focus on how stupid it is scientifically etc.
Old May 18, 22, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
Its a niche issue yes, but its a niche issue with richer well-to-do families, including relatives and families of politicians and officials, and also wealthier older retirees. The exact demographic that has a lot of influence in the discourse and shaping public policy.

If the GOP makes big waves about this and makes it a partisan issue, unfortunately it will make the other side dig their heels and ask for the testing requirement to stay, in order to not give a 'win' to the republican side. The best way forward to end this testing requirement is to keep it as nonpartisan as possible and just focus on how stupid it is scientifically etc.
I just don't think those types of people are going to threaten withholding donations, or make big donations, over this issue. That's the type of thing that will move the needle for your average member of Congress (says the person who doesn't have representation in Congress).

I do agree that pushing on the partisan aspect would not be beneficial. I thought it would go away at some point after the winter Omicron wave died down, but at this point I think it's almost purely traditional bureacratic inertia. It takes work and effort to change policy, and you have to get a bunch of people to say yes, who are going to worry what negative thing will happen if they change the current policy. So the lean in this type of situation is always going to be towards not changing things. Any large organization is a big old cruise ship- it involves a lot of people doing a lot of things, and can't exactly stop and start on a dime.
Old May 18, 22, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
But is it? Think of the millions of potential revenue not being realized because thousands of travelers aren't traveling internationally because they don't want to screw with the BS test to get back home.
Please look at seat availability - it's tight on nearly all markets right now. Airlines can't staff and properly operate many of the flights they have on schedule. There is no group staying home in all of this - that is a fallacy - there is WAY WAY more demand than seats available this summer
Old May 18, 22, 1:22 pm

That article gets a number of details about the testing requirement incorrect:

1. Uses the "24 hour" rule and not the actual "one calendar day" rule
2. Assumes the look back period starts from time of arrival to the US, when it actually starts from departure of the first flight on the journey
3. Assumes that if you have a connection outside the US, you must test at your connecting stop, when in fact the FAQ is very clear that as long as the connection is on a single ticket and doesn't have a stop of longer than 24 hours, it's all considered one journey and the test can be done the calendar day before departure of the first flight.
tattikat2, LuckyStrike and zmb like this.

Last edited by DCJoe1; May 18, 22 at 1:22 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 18, 22, 1:47 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I wish that was true that all these people would stay home because of the test, but I doubt it...

Search this Thread