Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
… about 10 million US citizens have had to take this stupid test, with the number growing by a few million every month.
Not looking as well as I would like.

A 53% jump in cases and a rise in hospitalizations reflects how case growth has moved beyond the Northeast, with metropolitan areas with high vaccination rates increasingly accounting for a higher share of disease spread.

That hasn't appreciably changed public behavior, with one in three Americans now saying the pandemic is over, according to the latest installment of the Axios/Ipsos Coronavirus Index.

Concern among Americans ticked up slightly, the poll showed. "But there's absolutely no behavior change. If anything, behaviors are moving in the other direction.”
https://www.axios.com/2022/05/19/cov...st-every-state
Old May 19, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gudugan
Please don’t drop the testing requirement so my international trips can remain sanely priced and with less muricans.

Y’all can have fun with your overpriced domestic airfare, hotels, and rental cars.
I don't know where you're going internationally, but all of the fares I've been looking internationally are also at are crazy for the next few months.
Old May 19, 2022, 3:32 pm

The hospitalization statistics are completely meaningless unless they start differentiating between hospitalized for covid and test positive upon admittance (hospitalized for other reasons). If a larger percentage of the population has covid, it is inevitable that a larger percentage of the hospital patients will also have it. Unfortunately, our media thrives on fear (fear = ratings = $$$), so they will not bother making that distinction. There was no meaningful increase in illness/death during the UK/EU wave that is just now subsiding, and the results here will surely be no different.

I was 100% in favor of "shelter-at-home" and vaccinations in 2020, but it is time to move on. The vaccines are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, and even countries in formerly covid-zero Asia and Oceania are abandoning the test mandate. It is mind boggling that the CDC still refuses to even make a distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated with regards to this mandate, as it is one of the few tools they have left to encourage/reward vaccinations/boosters. One can only hope the recent announcement regarding voluntary testing for domestic flights will eventually translate into voluntary testing for int'l flights. I certainly have no issue with them advising the public to get tested, but to be forcing asymptomatic US citizens to be stuck abroad for an indeterminate period of time with zero notice is not winning them any favors with anyone, and it clearly has no impact on the spread of covid.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I support you all staying home until testing is dropped, to teach CDC a lesson.
FullTimeFlyer and TravelForum like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: Cattle Class
Originally Posted by downinit
countries in formerly covid-zero Asia and Oceania are abandoning the test mandate..
Isn't China in Asia anymore? One of the biggest countries in the region mentioned?
Old May 19, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: Cattle Class
Originally Posted by guflyer
Now, the CDC recommends (but does not require) a Covid test before domestic travel as well..
They cannot enforce it. but now they(CDC) will be consistent with their recommendations international vs domestic. To me it reads that this requirement is here to stay.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Awtas
They cannot enforce it. but now they(CDC) will be consistent with their recommendations international vs domestic. To me it reads that this requirement is here to stay.
How is that consistent when land entry requires no test?
Old May 19, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
I struggle to understand why its 72hrs for domestic but 24hrs for international. As a Brit, CDC feels out of step with where rest of world is going and its advice seems to be doing enormous damage to the US economy.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
I just did my telehealth COVID test this morning in Thailand, flying JAL tomorrow morning at 8am back to the US via NRT. I’m concerned that my negative test may not be accepted because the company is based in California and reported the collection date and time as last night around 2300 without indicating the time zone. Do you think this will be rejected by the airline?
Old May 20, 2022, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Imo there is a significant risk of rejection - I d stop by the airport today to check in or retest if refused...
Old May 20, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by hull22
I just did my telehealth COVID test this morning in Thailand, flying JAL tomorrow morning at 8am back to the US via NRT. I’m concerned that my negative test may not be accepted because the company is based in California and reported the collection date and time as last night around 2300 without indicating the time zone. Do you think this will be rejected by the airline?
If you're flying on the 21st we may be on the same flight There is rapid test available at door 7 on floor 1 for 250 baht. Takes less than 1/2 hour by reports - open 24 hours. That's what I'm planning to do. Might be worth the same cost to ease your mind
Old May 20, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Hi all, I have a question about this attestation form that says you tested negative and collects some other info, I guess in case people on your flight test positive. This one: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/N...ion-en-508.pdf

I'm in Portugal now, so printing out 5-page forms isn't very easy. I looked in the UA flight-ready site and didn't see any place where I was supposed to have a form (maybe I missed it) - will be flying LIS-AMS on TAP then AMS-SFO-SAN on UA.

Is this form still required in addition to the actual negative test result? Is there an online fillable version that you can do on your phone? (The one I saw requires a signature, which I take it means it needs to be printed out?) Anyone know more about the details?

FTF
Old May 20, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
The attestation is still formally required in physical form - whether check-in agents actually request it or not is a YMMV situation. I've certainly never been asked to produce it after landing in the US.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Every self-printed attestation form I’ve carried has become scrap paper since the airlines/reps that want them have their own forms to use that can be gotten at check-in and/or even airside/ at/near the gates.

Originally Posted by gojko88
The attestation is still formally required in physical form - whether check-in agents actually request it or not is a YMMV situation. I've certainly never been asked to produce it after landing in the US.
Represents my experiences too on a lot of US-bound flights.

FWIW, Biden & Co made it pretty obvious earlier this week that there still was no clear roadmap presented on when to move out — and later perhaps back into — testing requirements for Covid-19 later this year. So much for the business of not going into something unless you have a clear exit strategy from the beginning.

Could monkeypox testing be next?
84fiero likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Awtas
It's not consistent if you have to test 1 day before traveling to the US from another country, but they're recommending testing 3 days before domestic travel.

And I can see the airlines eventually filing a lawsuit over the international test requirement if this goes on for too much longer. And they'll be able to afford better lawyers than the group who got the mask mandate tossed.

[Moderator edit of off-topic OMNI/PR content]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 20, 2022 at 8:33 am Reason: See note above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.