Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
If you look at the specific wording of the announcement, it seems like this could be the last extension of the mask mandate. They talk about developing metrics for when it's safe to lift it, or some such language. I don't recall them ever saying that before. Seems like they know it's on it's last legs.
lets say they really lift the mask and test requirements by the mud-april. But do you guys see realistic that US might go with the same direction as UK and allowes non-vaccinated non-us travellers?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Trying to get a video appointment for a supervised Lateral flow for return to the US in two weeks and finding my usual (Qured) andAzova with Flow Flex totally booked up. What other reliable companies are still providing video testing alternatively what places can still do rapid tests at Heathrow T5 - there used to be a couple but assume several have closed due to relaxation of regulations.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Customs and Border Protection has nothing to do with enforcing the test mandate (for all air travelers) or vaccination mandate (for non-citizens/LPRs). It is a CDC order that applies before a flight departs a foreign location to fly to the United States. The airlines and private aircraft operators must comply with the order and maintain records, including the attestation forms (whether digital or paper). CDC could audit any flight at any time, so the paperwork must be on file.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Customs and Border Protection has nothing to do with enforcing the test mandate (for all air travelers) or vaccination mandate (for non-citizens/LPRs). It is a CDC order that applies before a flight departs a foreign location to fly to the United States. The airlines and private aircraft operators must comply with the order and maintain records, including the attestation forms (whether digital or paper). CDC could audit any flight at any time, so the paperwork must be on file.
I feel like the airlines have been getting lax with the attestation forms. I havent signed anything (online or hardcopy) for the recent 3 flights.
SamirD and ewoo like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The people unwilling to fly to a third country, enter via land border to drive to the closest airport and then fly home from there? How many people would be willing to go through all that JUST to not have to take a test? That's not exactly a simple/unburdonesome workaround, much more work than taking a test at least. And much more expensive.
​​​​​​
not to mention being forced to fly AM or any of the Mexico LCC for the last leg of each trip. and there is not even sterile international transit in Mexico. you have to go through passport control each time like how one does when landing in US. plus give up flying on premium airlines

all these when the likelihood of testing positive is not even that high when you practice caution and understand how coronavirus is transmitted.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dwugson
Trying to get a video appointment for a supervised Lateral flow for return to the US in two weeks and finding my usual (Qured) andAzova with Flow Flex totally booked up. What other reliable companies are still providing video testing alternatively what places can still do rapid tests at Heathrow T5 - there used to be a couple but assume several have closed due to relaxation of regulations.
Are you sure about Azova? Just checked and you can get an appointment for today if you need. Only weird bit is when you change the country/time zone you're in, I've seen it "booked" for the next week when I looked at Berlin's time zone, but not two weeks.

Anyone know why changing your location would affect availability for Azova (which offers appointments 24/7)?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by Daedalus7
Are you sure about Azova? Just checked and you can get an appointment for today if you need. Only weird bit is when you change the country/time zone you're in, I've seen it "booked" for the next week when I looked at Berlin's time zone, but not two weeks.

Anyone know why changing your location would affect availability for Azova (which offers appointments 24/7)?
Have just tried again and looks as though you're right!!! Must have been a computer glitch as I had checked a few times today. Will secure my place now. Thanks - didn't want to have to show up at the airport early for testing.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by username
Now, does anyone have experience getting the eMed BinaxNow $150/6 pack reimbursed by a US insurance carrier? This is not the basic "home test" and it is more than the $12/test some carriers limit the "8 free self-test kits per person per month" would cover. Someone said this is covered under the CARES act. However, I can see the insurance companies say "you want this for travel so it is not our problem" or "we will only pay for 1". Thanks.
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
My insurance only covered $75 out of the $150+15 shipping charges, because when buying it I had put in the name of both me and my SO.
On March 9th I submitted an online claim to Kaiser Northern California for a eMed BinaxNow 6-pack I ordered last August. Just received a claim denial in the mail. Oh well.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
On March 9th I submitted an online claim to Kaiser Northern California for a eMed BinaxNow 6-pack I ordered last August. Just received a claim denial in the mail. Oh well.
Lame. I just purchased a 6-pack and was wondering how to split it up between our family members to receive full reimbursement from Kaiser.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Qasimja
can i use the free tests they sent to everyone along with this service to get tested for reentry? they are the same tests they sent to everyone for free https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihe...d-test-service
I don't see why you can't use them. It says "use with any unopened ihealth test, or purchase here". I'm not flying back to the US until the end of April but if this requirement is still in place I'm planning on using this service with my existing still sealed tests.

Originally Posted by gnomey
I think flowflex actually wins in terms of costs and convenience of scheduling tests. you can get it as cheap as 5 dollars or less per kit. plus 20 dollars for video proctoring.
Has anyone used Flowflex tests with Azova successfully? I have a couple of these as well and would like to use them for my kids. Can I schedule tests just for them without also scheduling for myself?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
That's frustrating! Did you include the prescription and detailed invoice (with the diagnosis codes, procedure codes, etc.) with the claim?

I've had three sets covered over the past year or so with no issue. (United Healthcare) Though I know that different insurers and plans might have different results.
miles4CDG and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by chrisny2
That's frustrating! Did you include the prescription and detailed invoice (with the diagnosis codes, procedure codes, etc.) with the claim?
I sure thought so. I have images/pdfs of all that, and remember uploading at least 3 files (but there's no online info about what exactly I submitted). Remark code is CLD52.

I am on a Kaiser Sr Advantage plan (medicare).
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by SFOTerry; Mar 21, 2022 at 7:23 am
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some people say that these come with a prescription and it is covered fully under the CARES Act.

If that fails, I would think at least some of that can be covered under the "8 free at home test per month" rule. That one has a ceiling of $12/test so at least $12*6=$72 should be covered???

https://www.cms.gov/how-to-get-your-...-test-for-free

There is also a thread here that talks about the eMed stuff: Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
I feel like the airlines have been getting lax with the attestation forms. I havent signed anything (online or hardcopy) for the recent 3 flights.
I feel like they are getting lax with everything. Perhaps this is how it ends if the policies stay in place for much longer. I was at BNA this AM and about 25% of airport employees had no masks on at all, every TSA employee had their mask below their nose, and about half of the people on the airport walking around had it on their chin or had no mask at all. Don't think I saw a single store or restaurant worker properly masked. The gate agents seemed to be the only part of the workforce at all properly masking.

The only enforcement seems to be at the TSA checkpoint and boarding the plane. I forgot a mask and was sent off by a chin diapered TSA agent where to find a hideous cloth mask. I put it on for 15 seconds below my nose and that was good enough until I boarded.

On the SW flight home at least half the plane was unmasked by mid-flight, and there was absolutely no word from the crew, experienced similar on the flight there. The mask and testing policies are becoming such a farce that even if you agree that masks can prevent spread, they aren't doing anything at this point. Maybe 5% of the airport seemed to be wearing tightly fitting quality masks.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I don't see why you can't use them. It says "use with any unopened ihealth test, or purchase here". I'm not flying back to the US until the end of April but if this requirement is still in place I'm planning on using this service with my existing still sealed tests.

Has anyone used Flowflex tests with Azova successfully? I have a couple of these as well and would like to use them for my kids. Can I schedule tests just for them without also scheduling for myself?
i believe the rule with Azova is that you need to list the dependents under the adult's account. check out the FAQ on their website.

alternatively, you can create an account - you will then see how everything is laid out within the portal. and try to make a dummy video proctored appointment booking and see what happen.

flowflex video appointment is available easily and 24/7. i find it strange the availability is limited if you pick a different time zone. maybe it's just a bug in their system.

i think picking the right local time zone is important because that is the time zone that will be printed on the test result report.

the timestamp on the report is therefore unambiguous. none of the UTC stuff like how it is for emed/binax.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.