Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by michael1023
quick question: do you think tonight, on the grand stage, Biden will announce to discontinue the testing requirement to enter the US? is he capable of that, or does that still depend on CDC?

just a wishful though, pretty sad that this is still there, at least an exemption for people with boosters, something...
Come on... there is almost no way something like this would be explicitly mentioned in a State of the Union address, particularly with everything going on in the country/world. There may be discussion about a "return to normality" but not specific detailed travel policies.

The United States has a population of approximately 332.5 million people. A very, very tiny, minuscule portion of that travels internationally. Heck, most of my own family has never had and likely never will have a passport. The average American on the street likely doesn't even know this policy exists.

Obviously, it's something deeply important to those of us who love/need to travel, but likely not "State of the Union" worthy for the country writ large.

Regards
chrisny2, SamirD, Uzzar and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Come on... there is almost no way something like this would be explicitly mentioned in a State of the Union address, particularly with everything going on in the country/world. There may be discussion about a "return to normality" but not specific detailed travel policies.

The United States has a population of approximately 332.5 million people. A very, very tiny, minuscule portion of that travels internationally. Heck, most of my own family has never had and likely never will have a passport. The average American on the street likely doesn't even know this policy exists.

Obviously, it's something deeply important to those of us who love/need to travel, but likely not "State of the Union" worthy for the country writ large.

Regards
well there goes my hope
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I'm not sure what your definition of very, very tiny, minuscule portion is. If you do a cursory Google search for statistics, in 2019 over 44 million people (~13%+) traveled out of the USA excluding to Canada and Mexico (if you include those it's over 99 million which is almost a third of our population). It obviously plummeted in 2020 but we all know it picked up in 2021 for which I couldn't find data yet and is continuing full force ahead in 2022.

Although we for sure aren't at pre pandemic levels, it's certainly heading there and currently all those millions of people including those traveling by air from Mexico and Canada are currently effected by this rule and I just wouldn't toss them all to the wayside saying "you guys are such a tiny percentage, the heck with you". And this doesn't even include all the non US citizens who are vaccinated that are subject to this rule as well. There are also US citizens living abroad who this rule applies to when they come back home and they're not included in outbound tourist statistics. To me it's not such a negligible portion of people at all and this rule should definitely be up for reconsideration.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I'm not sure what your definition of very, very tiny, minuscule portion is. If you do a cursory Google search for statistics, in 2019 over 44 million people (~13%+) traveled out of the USA excluding to Canada and Mexico (if you include those it's over 99 million which is almost a third of our population). It obviously plummeted in 2020 but we all know it picked up in 2021 for which I couldn't find data yet and is continuing full force ahead in 2022.

Although we for sure aren't at pre pandemic levels, it's certainly heading there and currently all those millions of people including those traveling by air from Mexico and Canada are currently effected by this rule and I just wouldn't toss them all to the wayside saying "you guys are such a tiny percentage, the heck with you". And this doesn't even include all the non US citizens who are vaccinated that are subject to this rule as well. There are also US citizens living abroad who this rule applies to when they come back home and they're not included in outbound tourist statistics. To me it's not such a negligible portion of people at all and this rule should definitely be up for reconsideration.
So, in doing some further research its rather unclear if those 44 million are discreet, different individuals or if they are simply international trips, thus counting multiple trips by the same individuals as though they are different people. That would obviously over inflate the number. The number may very well be correct, but I'm finding it difficult to find specifics on the methodology of the numbers (other than cursory headlines).

Furthermore, I'm not at all saying "you guys are such a tiny percentage, the heck with you" I did not say that. You put that in "quotes" as though you are quoting me and I certainly did not at all say those words.

What I am saying, in response to a specific question that was asked, is that whether we like this requirement or not, the maintaining or removal of this requirement is almost assuredly not going to be mentioned by the President of the United States in his annual State of the Union address to the nation this evening. Particularly given inflation, the war in Ukraine, etc. That is what I said, and I'm completely comfortable with that prediction, though would be happy to be proved wrong.

No need to use my response to that specific question to restart an endless debate about whether the test requirement should be removed or not.

Regards
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
So, in doing some further research its rather unclear if those 44 million are discreet, different individuals or if they are simply international trips, thus counting multiple trips by the same individuals as though they are different people. That would obviously over inflate the number. The number may very well be correct, but I'm finding it difficult to find specifics on the methodology of the numbers (other than cursory headlines).

Furthermore, I'm not at all saying "you guys are such a tiny percentage, the heck with you" I did not say that. You put that in "quotes" as though you are quoting me and I certainly did not at all say those words.

What I am saying, in response to a specific question that was asked, is that whether we like this requirement or not, the maintaining or removal of this requirement is almost assuredly not going to be mentioned by the President of the United States in his annual State of the Union address to the nation this evening. Particularly given inflation, the war in Ukraine, etc. That is what I said, and I'm completely comfortable with that prediction, though would be happy to be proved wrong.

No need to use my response to that specific question to restart an endless debate about whether the test requirement should be removed or not.

Regards
I'm not either sure if the number is trips or individuals but I took the number from this site and it said "the number of United States residents traveling overseas peaked at 44.81 million in 2019."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-from-the-us/

I understood that to mean individuals but I may very well be wrong. I don't think there are millions of people who take multiple international trips every year but again, I don't have the data so can't say.

The sentence I put in quotes was just to show what I personally wouldn't say, I didn't mean to attribute it to you.

I completely agree with you that the testing requirement is almost certainly not going to be addressed by the President.

I was just saying that it should be revisited at this point, not attempting to start any debates .

Take care.

Last edited by friedablass; Mar 1, 2022 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by drwook
No idea really, but US is becoming something of an outlier if they keep it.
Indeed. Iceland has dropped all COVID border controls, no more testing or even vaccination requirement. Even Jordan has dropped all testing requirements. And that's a country that doesn't have the healthcare infrastructure that the US does and has been very cautious throughout the pandemic with its border restrictions.

Originally Posted by atojbk
Doubt we see any announcement with the Ukraine situation going on
I don't expect anything to be said during the SOTU. But the war in Ukraine shouldn't preclude a change in the testing policy. The CDC has nothing substantive to do with Ukraine, defense, or foreign affairs. Sure, the White House still has to give the thumbs-up but the government should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. The Administration had time to finish choosing and announcing the new Supreme Court Justice nominee, for example. I'm sure most Federal agencies' work has continued along as normal, other than the State Dept and Dept of Defense. At the very least the timeline should've been moved back to the previous 3 days for vaccinated citizens before now, with Omicron having arrived, spread, become dominant, and peaked in most areas of the country.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't expect anything to be said during the SOTU. But the war in Ukraine shouldn't preclude a change in the testing policy. The CDC has nothing substantive to do with Ukraine, defense, or foreign affairs. Sure, the White House still has to give the thumbs-up but the government should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. The Administration had time to finish choosing and announcing the new Supreme Court Justice nominee, for example. I'm sure most Federal agencies' work has continued along as normal, other than the State Dept and Dept of Defense. At the very least the timeline should've been moved back to the previous 3 days for vaccinated citizens before now, with Omicron having arrived, spread, become dominant, and peaked in most areas of the country.
I certainly don't disagree with the thesis of your post. However, this likely has nothing, whatsoever, to do with the government "having time" to address this. This is all about optics. There seems to be concern within the administration regarding mixed messages (e.g. substantial ramp up in asking people to test more frequently, giving citizens free test kits, etc. vs. simultaneously removing an in place test requirement). Additionally, there is often a bureaucratic way of thinking that concludes removing the requirement makes them look like they were wrong to begin with and they want to avoid that at all costs (similar to the countless "security theater" things we have in place post 9/11). These, of course, are similar considerations regarding the masking on airplanes requirements.

And then of course there remains a contingent within the US that fall in the "what about the children" camp.

Let me be very clear; I'm not arguing in favor of the reasoning I've laid out, not at all. As a traveler, I'd obviously like to see these requirements dropped for vaccinated travelers. I'm just saying, the US Govt marches to the beat of its own drum and it usually isn't logic and it certainly ain't "following the science"

Regards
friedablass and JMorgana like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:19 pm

I certainly don't disagree with the thesis of your post. However, this likely has nothing, whatsoever, to do with the government "having time" to address this. This is all about optics. There seems to be concern within the administration regarding mixed messages (e.g. substantial ramp up in asking people to test more frequently, giving citizens free test kits, etc. vs. simultaneously removing an in place test requirement). Additionally, there is often a bureaucratic way of thinking that concludes removing the requirement makes them look like they were wrong to begin with and they want to avoid that at all costs (similar to the countless "security theater" things we have in place post 9/11). These, of course, are similar considerations regarding the masking on airplanes requirements.

And then of course there remains a contingent within the US that fall in the "what about the children" camp.

Let me be very clear; I'm not arguing in favor of the reasoning I've laid out, not at all. As a traveler, I'd obviously like to see these requirements dropped for vaccinated travelers. I'm just saying, the US Govt marches to the beat of its own drum and it usually isn't logic and it certainly ain't "following the science"

Regards
I think you're right on target with all of your points!
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
For US citizens, at this point - order Binax tests, get 100 percent reimbursement from your insurance - move on. It's so easy!
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:12 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by mattp1987
This is one of the reasons I always use the online systems like Delta FlyReady or United Travel Ready Center if available. I'd rather have my test verified by their center that processes thousands of these documents each day rather than a counter agent who might make up or misunderstand the rules. On my last trip to the US, I was flying Delta and wasn't worried about the timeline but about having a test result in German flying from a Spanish airport. I didn't even have to show my test because the agent said everything was good to go and printed my DOCS OK boarding pass.
This can also backfire when the reports have some slight differences that a counter agent can quickly assess but that their online systems cannot. My wife ran across this recently when her mom's vaccination report had some initials while others did not--tripped up the system bad and everything had to be done at the airport.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisny2
For US citizens, at this point - order Binax tests, get 100 percent reimbursement from your insurance - move on. It's so easy!
Reimbursement is up to $12 per test not 100%. Anything above that is done because your insurance voluntarily offered it not because it is required.
Xyzzy, 84fiero and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:00 am

The point isn't about the cost or ease of getting tested - I think everyone here has a good handle on the options available. It's about the risk of getting delayed returning home for some period of time, the added direct and indirect costs, and often the hassle of getting a recovery document...all for what, at this point, is little more than hygiene theater - particularly for vaccinated people. While I factor those possible risks in to my trip planning, it would be wonderful to stop doing so.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
At the very least the timeline should've been moved back to the previous 3 days for vaccinated citizens before now, with Omicron having arrived, spread, become dominant, and peaked in most areas of the country.
The 3 days requirement was more characteristically theater than the 1 day requirement. If the idea is to not go in for more theater, they should either keep it at 1 day or just scrap the test requirement. If anything, Omicron remains reason enough to keep it at 1 day instead of putting it back at 3 days.

Other than the issues around the possibility of getting infected by other travelers or not recognizing an infection early enough to improve healthcare outcomes, the real disruption from testing "isn't about the cost or ease of getting tested..... It's about the risk of getting delayed returning home for some period of time, the added direct and indirect costs, and often the hassle of getting a recovery document".
Smiley90 and michael1023 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:09 am

It is not so easy if you're flying out from countries with spotty internet access. Yes, the majority of US travellers are from Europe/Mexico, but I'm concerned that when flying out of Sierra Leone next week I won't have good wifi for the binax test (which I did carry with myself), and there is no fast antigen testing available in the entire country, while the pcr test in the countries come at a steep cost and even then are not really guaranteed to get results within 24 hours (traveller reports usually say about 48 hours).

So at this point I'm praying that my hotel in Sierra Leone will have good wifi for my pcr test, otherwise I'll have to change my flight from going to the US to somewhere in Europe/UK instead (no test needed, just show vax), and once in Europe I can use the good wifi for binax.

So yeah, not easy at all if you're flying out of some remote island or country with spotty internet. This 1-day test requirement by the US has by far been the worst I've encountered while travelling across dozens of countries during covid. And with no benefit to show for it.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Or just get a different internet connection in Sierra Leone.

People from around DC use the internet for video calling with relatives back in Sierra Leone every day. And there are even gamers from Sierra Leone who play online games that are best done with high-speed connections.

If one connection isn't good enough for the remotely proctored test, find a different connection in the country.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.