Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
Delete

Last edited by rcmiller; Feb 21, 2022 at 1:08 pm Reason: found a more relevant thread
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by danger
I don't think the CDC requirement is as clear as it could be.

The requirement reads:

The confusing part, for me at least, is the last paragraph. What is meant by "expired" test? I don't see where that's defined. Importantly, it's clear that you don't need to be retested on a connecting itinerary if you are required to have an overnight connection. So, for example, a HEL-LHR flight that arrives am on Monday, overnight London, then LHR-NYC late Tuesday would, according to the above, not be acceptable because there would almost certainly be multiple LHR-NYC options on the Monday (meaning an overnight connections isn't required).
It could be better written. I don't know that many airlines would let you check in for the first flight with a mere promise to get tested during your connection (I've sometimes had no one check any documents before boarding my connection) so that part always struck me as pretty useless in practice.

As for the required overnight connection - what if I bought my HEL-LHR-NYC flight at the last minute and the earlier Monday flights were sold out? Earlier flights weren't available to me even though they were for someone who bought the same itinerary a week before or whatever. How would I prove that fact in retrospect to some overzealous agent at check-in? Luckily I don't recall seeing anyone post about having had an issue with such a connection - not to say it hasn't happened, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem or I'd imagine we would be hearing a lot about it.

Of course we have seen the occasional post about being denied boarding for a test that was within 1 day (or previously 3 days) but more than 24/72 hours and the agent insisted it didn't qualify, even in the face of the CDC website clearly stating otherwise. So there is a small risk of a poorly trained or rogue agent disregarding the actual rules, though I haven't really planned around that risk personally.

I hope before long we won't have to mess with it anymore...but not holding my breath either.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:20 am

total confusion:

returned to LAX from seychelles yesteday
The CDC and state dept websites state PCR in less that 24 hrs required for entry to USA. So we got to airport in Seychelles 10 hrs early and paid $600 for 2.
Met an American in Seychelles who was absulutely positive that the USA requirement was 72 hrs and that is what he did. At airport check in with Qatar- the agent said USA requirement was 48 hrs PCR or 24 for antigen. I had the impressinon the the agent were not checking the Covid certifs carefully

So????
SamirD and gioannis13 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ente_09
total confusion:

The CDC and state dept websites state PCR in less that 24 hrs required for entry to USA. So we got to airport in Seychelles 10 hrs early and paid $600 for 2.
Met an American in Seychelles who was absulutely positive that the USA requirement was 72 hrs and that is what he did. At airport check in with Qatar- the agent said USA requirement was 48 hrs PCR or 24 for antigen. I had the impressinon the the agent were not checking the Covid certifs carefully

So????
The agent was wrong and the other person was wrong and you were wrong also.

The rule is any test (pcr or antigen) one day before your flight (not 24 hours, the day before)
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
total confusion:

So????
It's 1 day before, not 24h or less.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:43 am

Confusion is the polite way to put it. The regulations and what is or is not required are a complete cluster F.

My company is managing an event in Las Vegas next week with attendees coming from around the world.

The number of man hours spent defining what is required to come into the US then what it takes for them to get back into their own countries is mind numbing.

There are way too many moving parts that change regularly.
Xyzzy, Silver Fox and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
total confusion:

So????
As others have noted it's 1 calendar day (not 24 hours) and PCR is not required, you can do antigen as well. Been this way since early December 2021 so this is not new.

$600 for 2 PCRs - all I can say is, WOW. Beats the prices in the Maldives which are steep even for slower turnaround. Next time use BinaxNOW or similar antigen and use the $$ you save on another vacation .
seawolf, Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
I'm a Canadian citizen living in the US under a TN visa (I no longer have a residence in Canada). It's time for me to go back to the border and get another 3-year TN. I do this by air: I fly in, do a U-turn, and come back home to the US the same day.
I know I can get into Canada with only my negative test but what about coming back to the US? Will I need to be fully vaccinated? I've checked, but am seeing conflicting information.
Thanks!
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by nuspieds
I'm a Canadian citizen living in the US under a TN visa (I no longer have a residence in Canada). It's time for me to go back to the border and get another 3-year TN. I do this by air: I fly in, do a U-turn, and come back home to the US the same day.
I know I can get into Canada with only my negative test but what about coming back to the US? Will I need to be fully vaccinated? I've checked, but am seeing conflicting information.
Thanks!
yes.
SamirD and altabello like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Ok, thanks!
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Any recent opinions/experiences with either of these two at-home proctored test options (based on my research these are the two biggest players currently in the market):

1) Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services for Travel - 2 Pack: https://store.optum.com/shop/product...st-kit-2-pack/
2) Qured Video Supervised Rapid Test For Travel: https://www.qured.us/shop/products

I'm trying to decide which company to go with for an upcoming trip.

TIA!
SamirD and altabello like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by HoKo
Any recent opinions/experiences with either of these two at-home proctored test options (based on my research these are the two biggest players currently in the market):

1) Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services for Travel - 2 Pack: https://store.optum.com/shop/product...st-kit-2-pack/
2) Qured Video Supervised Rapid Test For Travel: https://www.qured.us/shop/products

I'm trying to decide which company to go with for an upcoming trip.

TIA!
I've used the BinaxNW test more than a dozen times myself and with family members and friends considered it's easily double that. We've not experienced any problems. The test results were promptly emailed to us and were accepted by the airlines we presented them to.
chrisny2, friedablass and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've used the BinaxNW test more than a dozen times myself and with family members and friends considered it's easily double that. We've not experienced any problems. The test results were promptly emailed to us and were accepted by the airlines we presented them to.
I haven't used them THAT many times but +1 for being a fan of BinaxNOW and having no issues using them with several airlines.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
As a UK citizen travelling back and forth between the US and UK, I have used Qured on all occasions (probably 10-12 times so far) both tests ordered in the US and the UK and taken with me, and on all occasions has been seamless. Certificate within minutes and no problems getting a convenient slot for the consultation.

Not flying over for a couple of weeks and waiting with anticipation that the T-1day reverts back to T-3 days at a bare minimum, although hoping all tests dropped for the fully vaccinated.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've used the BinaxNow test more than a dozen times myself and with family members and friends considered it's easily double that. We've not experienced any problems. The test results were promptly emailed to us and were accepted by the airlines we presented them to.
Originally Posted by friedablass
I haven't used them THAT many times but +1 for being a fan of BinaxNOW and having no issues using them with several airlines.
Originally Posted by thegamebird
As a UK citizen travelling back and forth between the US and UK, I have used Qured on all occasions (probably 10-12 times so far) both tests ordered in the US and the UK and taken with me, and on all occasions has been seamless. Certificate within minutes and no problems getting a convenient slot for the consultation.

Not flying over for a couple of weeks and waiting with anticipation that the T-1day reverts back to T-3 days at a bare minimum, although hoping all tests dropped for the fully vaccinated.
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.