Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
CHECK THIS LINK FOR YOUR LOT NUMBER ON YOUR BinaxNOW Covid Tests for the extended expiration date:
  • Lot 195-200: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%84%A2%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Upda te%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en
  • Lot 195-200 and 195-100: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/scrtechs-0381-v8-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-home-test-product.pdf
  • Lot 195-000: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

Previously, it was on https://ohio.emed.com/ but the link has been removed.

The good news is that as of mid-Dec 2021, Abbott Labs is apparently shipping only kits with printed expiration dates well into 2022.

*Hat Tip to poster Blue Skye

Print Wikipost

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:45 pm

195-100 lot 181008. Original expiration Jan 28, 2023.

Can't find if this date has been extended.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Is there some unfounded assumption I’m making here?
the regulations require insurance to reimburse up to $12/test (or $24 for a pack of 2). The Emed test packs that include proctoring are $150 for 6 or $25/test. While some insurance companies might just reimburse the whole thing, some specific plans could even require it I suppose, they are well within their rights to simply reimburse 12 x 6 or $72 of the cost and no more.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by emcampbe
the regulations require insurance to reimburse up to $12/test (or $24 for a pack of 2). The Emed test packs that include proctoring are $150 for 6 or $25/test. While some insurance companies might just reimburse the whole thing, some specific plans could even require it I suppose, they are well within their rights to simply reimburse 12 x 6 or $72 of the cost and no more.
Because they are prescribed by a doctor (and the prescription appears from an emed doctor attached to the order on the emed account), my insurer has paid these in full even before the home-testing regulations went into effect. They are covered as any other doctor ordered COVID test.

For example, see below, with the text I bolded at the end: prescribed tests are different from the OTC tests.
What if I buy more than one test at a time?

GEHA is required to provide reimbursement for 8 tests per rolling 30-day period per covered member, meaning 8 tests per GEHA subscriber plus 8 tests per spouse, child or other dependent who’s covered on the subscriber's plan. That means, for example, a family of four can be reimbursed for 32 tests per rolling 30-day period, regardless of whether the tests are bought all at once or at separate times throughout the rolling 30-day period. GEHA recognizes that some OTC COVID-19 tests are sold in packages containing more than one test. In applying the quantity limit of 8, GEHA may count each test separately, even if multiple tests are sold in one package.

GEHA will continue to cover COVID-19 tests if they are ordered by a physician, non-physician practitioner, pharmacist or other authorized health care professional.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:59 pm

But the $20+ proctoring fee is not reimbursed by insurance, right? If so, that's a pretty significant advantage for BinaxNow and other bundled tests.
Correct, proctoring fee is not reimbursed by insurance. However, reimbursement of the full cost of BinaxNow + eMed test is hit or mess. Yes, I think most insurance companies are supposed to cover these since they are "prescribed". Nonetheless, I haven't had success getting tests bought in December reimbursed. And most insurance will not cover shipping, taxes, etc.

I felt there were other advantages to the Azova/Flowflex option such as convenience. And regardless, just wanted to note that there is another good option besides BinaxNow/eMed.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:19 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone used the Binax test before flying EK MXP-JFK?
Any issues?
Old May 1, 2022, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
Has anyone used the Binax test before flying EK MXP-JFK?
Any issues?
ATHJFK no problem (several flights). But obviously not the question you asked.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:35 pm

FYI, for a time Optum was giving free 2-day shipping on the 2-pack kits, but these days they’re charging $7.99 for expedited shipping (2-4 business days) and $5.99 for standard (4-7 biz days).
Old May 1, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
FYI, for a time Optum was giving free 2-day shipping on the 2-pack kits, but these days they’re charging $7.99 for expedited shipping (2-4 business days) and $5.99 for standard (4-7 biz days).
That's too bad!
Old May 2, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Any experiences here with Onpoint Tele testing. It looks like you can use any test. The hours for testing aren't the best when overseas, but they provided a confirmed appt and a name of the proctor. You can schedule two tests in each appt.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Silly question but with eMed, do you make the appointment in advance, or just request it when you're ready to test (and they're always available)?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by italdesign
Silly question but with eMed, do you make the appointment in advance, or just request it when you're ready to test (and they're always available)?
The latter, in my experience. Never had to wait more than 30 seconds.
Xyzzy, LETTERBOY and nk15 like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
No appointment....you just connect. There used to be multi-hour waits (last summer), but recently I have not waited more than 30-60 seconds.

I would just suggestion testing first thing in the morning, when other time zones are still asleep. You might have a longer wait if you connect in the mid-afternoon.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
The cap to out of network reimbursements applies only if the insurer has made free test kits available in network. I received full reimbursement from Kaiser for Binaxnow AG Card a couple months ago.

I believe Kaiser has recently started distributing test kits in network, in which case the cap would start applying.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:35 am

Opened test kit. One liquid, TWO swabs, NO little kit/booklet. So, useless.

Always bring a backup. This is my 4th dud out of ~30.
Majuki likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Is there any update on another 3-month extension of the original tests with 9 months of validity? I know those had been extended up to 6 months (and I used one close to its new expiration date the other week without issue), but I don't know if there have been subsequent extensions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.