Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by xanthuos
I'm going to be traveling from Canada to the US on July 27th. Now, hopefully, the requirements for a negative COVID test will have been lifted by then - especially for a fully vaccinated person like myself. However, if they are not, is it possible to use the BinaxNOW test for entry? It's $95 CAD here for a rapid antigen test and I can order 2 BinaxNOW tests for $23.99 from CVS lol...but I'm confused about what it takes to "verify" it for purposes of entry into the US....
I just recently traveled from India to US using the BinaxNOW tests. There are two versions of the test: at home and proctored. You need the proctored version, which requires a prescription. I used the eMed provider to order the test. They also have an online system to have someone watch you administer the test. The negative result is recorded by the proctor, and then a negative certificate is emailed to you. It also then shows up on the Navica app with QR code. You can show the QR code upon checkin.The at home Binax test will not provide access to the Navica app.

The at home Binax test is not approved for this same purpose (even though the tests look identical). The eMed versions of the test have a QR code. The proctor will check to make sure that the QR code on the box matches that on the front of the Binax card. They do not check to see if the QR code matches the person who purchased the kits. So you can split the 6 pack up among multiple people. I did this myself. Just make sure to create a Navica account for each person, and download the app to your phone before leaving the US.

I also don't think the kits can be shipped outside of the US. I had them shipped to my home in US and took them with me to India. I administered the test while in India using my laptop, and returned back to US without any issues.

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
How do you schedule a virtual testing appointment with these tests? Does Abbott provide the service for free or you need to find an external company like a local health clinic that would do this?
I conducted several tests for myself and family members a few weeks ago. Scheduling the proctored test is easy. Its all done online. There is no scheduling necessary. Just click "Start Test". The test center proctors are based in the Phillipines. You need an internet connection and access to a laptop with camera. Then login to the site. The proctor comes on the screen and asks to see your face, test kit and passport. They then watch you do the test in front of the camera. The reagents take about 15 minutes to run, and they start a timer. A second proctor comes on screen to interpret the results. You have to show the binax card to the proctor to verify the results. They will then tell you whether its positive or negative and then send a confirmation to your Navica app. The QR code on the app can be shown to the airport check in counter. They will also email a PDF of the test result. All very easy to do. Takes about 30 mins total. Link to the page to schedule is below:

https://united.emed.com/

If you want to share the 6 test kits among several people, just make sure to create a Navica account and download the app to your phone before leaving the US. Then when logging into the laptop, use incognito mode or clear the cookies. One time I forgot to do this and the proctor said I was still logged in under my relative's account. I hung up and cleared cookies and then logged back in.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 3, 2021 at 11:49 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by michael1023
this testing to come back to the us is still a thing?
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes. Completely absurd.
US Govt - "Please get vaccinated"
Me: "OK. Done"
US Govt: "Still need a test"
ME: "What the F***?"

I would love to take a nice vacation to somewhere I am welcome as a vaccinated individual, but my own %@*% government says I have to have a negative test to come home. What was the point of the vaccine? I will gladly travel when I can travel freely - without in-flight masks or stupid testing requirements.

Maybe a minority opinion, but if travel is not fun I will stay home.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Do you mean for travel purposes? They are not. They are only for self testing purposes.
Originally Posted by sgopal2
I conducted several tests for myself and family members a few weeks ago. Scheduling the proctored test is easy. Its all done online. There is no scheduling necessary. Just click "Start Test". The test center proctors are based in the Phillipines. You need an internet connection and access to a laptop with camera. Then login to the site. The proctor comes on the screen and asks to see your face, test kit and passport. They then watch you do the test in front of the camera. The reagents take about 15 minutes to run, and they start a timer. A second proctor comes on screen to interpret the results. You have to show the binax card to the proctor to verify the results. They will then tell you whether its positive or negative and then send a confirmation to your Navica app. The QR code on the app can be shown to the airport check in counter. They will also email a PDF of the test result. All very easy to do. Takes about 30 mins total. Link to the page to schedule is below:

https://united.emed.com/

If you want to share the 6 test kits among several people, just make sure to create a Navica account and download the app to your phone before leaving the US. Then when logging into the laptop, use incognito mode or clear the cookies. One time I forgot to do this and the proctor said I was still logged in under my relative's account. I hung up and cleared cookies and then logged back in.
Thank you both, the URL clearly shows that the version sold in US convenience stores/pharmacies/supermarkets are not valid for travel.
As most cities in Europe have convenient testing options, I'll probably prefer getting tested at a test center rather than purchasing these proctored ones.

Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I keep waiting to see that the CDC has dropped the return test requirement for returning Americans who are fully-vaccinated. I'm optimistic by nature, but my optimism is waning that this will happen before my return on July 26.
LETTERBOY and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhuey
I keep waiting to see that the CDC has dropped the return test requirement for returning Americans who are fully-vaccinated. I'm optimistic by nature, but my optimism is waning that this will happen before my return on July 26.
I am still hoping that by around July 4th there will be an announced revision to the attestation form to allow vaccinated US citizens to return to the US without a US-required Covid test being applicable. But revising and complicating the form in this way may not be what some are willing to do.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by dhuey
I doubt it'll be done that quickly. Maybe around Labor Day (but that's just a guess on my part).
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I doubt it'll be done that quickly. Maybe around Labor Day (but that's just a guess on my part).
heck, i thought it was going to be before/around memorial day, but that came and went, if its not by labor day, i doubt you will see it until the new year, probably they will say holidays are coming, winter season blah blah...so if not by labor day, might not be for a long time
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 1:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you for the detailed report.
Do I create the Navica account on the phone or the computer? (I assume a desktop computer with a camera would be sufficient and that a laptop is not required.) More importantly, can the app on one phone store the results for multiple people, or does each person need a phone with the app? Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
Do I create the Navica account on the phone or the computer? (I assume a desktop computer with a camera would be sufficient and that a laptop is not required.) More importantly, can the app on one phone store the results for multiple people, or does each person need a phone with the app? Thanks.
Doesn't matter if its a desktop or laptop. But you need access to an internet browser (Chrome is preferred) along with a camera. Keyboard is helpful in case the sound quality is bad. I did a session once and the sound was so bad that the proctor relied on typing in the chat window to communicate with me. You can probably do that on an iPad as well. But at various times, the proctor will ask you to aim the camera at the test kits, and then again at your face. You'll need to hold the camera position steady for about 15 mins while the reagents run. So a laptop with built in camera was the easiest to readjust the position.

Each person needs their own phone or tablet, along with a Navica account. Signing up is free. The navica app can only store certificates for one person at a time.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Each person needs their own phone or tablet, along with a Navica account. Signing up is free. The navica app can only store certificates for one person at a time.
Thanks. Disappointing, since we will have only one phone line available out-of-country and it seems a shame that everyone but one needs to have an otherwise useless phone.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:18 pm

Thanks. Disappointing, since we will have only one phone line available out-of-country and it seems a shame that everyone but one needs to have an otherwise useless phone.
You only need the phone/iPad if you want to display the travelpass/QR code on the device. You also have the option of printing out the results.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Regarding the Abbott self-test kits and the Navica app. Is there a prohibition from non-residents using theses? Assuming I get the test kits, and setup the account, is there any reason that this is somehow prohibited?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

You only need the phone/iPad if you want to display the travelpass/QR code on the device. You also have the option of printing out the results.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you mean I can print out the QR code? Am I correct that sometimes the QR code is required for a verification?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Regarding the Abbott self-test kits and the Navica app. Is there a prohibition from non-residents using theses? Assuming I get the test kits, and setup the account, is there any reason that this is somehow prohibited?
They will only ship the eMed kits to a US address. You'll need a US based person to physically transport the kit outside of the country. During the Navica proctored session, they will ask for your passport, and do a screenshot. Not sure if it matters if you are a US citizen or not.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you mean I can print out the QR code? Am I correct that sometimes the QR code is required for a verification?
Yes you can print them out. Has the QR code along with date/time of result and serial number. Anyone with the Navica app can scan the code and verify that it is authentic. Here is a redacted version (the QR won't work on this one however).

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 3, 2021 at 11:50 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes you can print them out. Has the QR code along with date/time of result and serial number. Anyone with the Navica app can scan the code and verify that it is authentic.
Thanks. That helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.