Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Saint4805
The alcohol ban in SA would be a huge deal breaker for me
Big time! And the cigarette ban.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Sri Lanka looks like a great place but just watch Harald Baldr's Youtube videos and you'll see how strict the curfews were. People could only leave their homes to buy food and water on certain days (I think only two) of the week and the lines at the shops and supermarkets were huge. The airport closed down for a while and people were stuck there until Qatar resumed some flights. I'll happily visit post COVID but this is the last place I would visit over this winter.
The OP’s question was “....visit during a potential second wave of the virus”.

Every country on earth could see similar lockdowns to the one in Sri Lanka during such a second wave.

That’s why I believe it is insane to travel further than driving distance from home as long as there is still a substantial risk of a second wave.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
The OP’s question was “....visit during a potential second wave of the virus”.

Every country on earth could see similar lockdowns to the one in Sri Lanka during such a second wave.

That’s why I believe it is insane to travel further than driving distance from home as long as there is still a substantial risk of a second wave.
Some places are definitely far less likely than others to have that kind of lockdown.

I take the point about driving distance in lockdown situations, and it's a good one. Clearly, it's better to be able to get out of a country if you have to.

That is one reason I suggested the USA (via 14 days in a third country). I find it very hard to imagine a situation where there is literally no TATL flight available.

It's just a shame Sweden is so cold in the winter. Otherwise it would be a clear winner.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
I heard that the lockdown in the Netherlands wasn't that strict but their stats are considerably better than Sweden's. Good train network, cycling infrastructure and great flight options from AMS too. I also recall reading here on FT that hotels remained open throughout (apart from voluntary closures due to lack of guests).
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: Alaska, WestJet
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
How severe was the lockdown in Mexico and how easy was it to get out of the country once it started?
We've lived in Guadalajara, Mexico for the last two years and have just returned to Canada. There are 32 states in Mexico, so it's not possible to speak about "the" lockdown; every state, and the federal government, responded differently. The state of Jalisco, home of Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara, responded early with stringent measures (hotels and restaurants closed, for example), but the so-called "easing" of restrictions has been viewed as an "all-clear" by the populace. Huatulco is the only resort area to have not suffered COVID-19 deaths, I believe.
When the USA and Canada first issued their warnings that citizens return home, flights were packed with snowbirds. Four months in, there are still commercial flights out, but few direct ones, and there are few bargains to be had.
FWIW, we won't be returning for probably two years, maybe earlier if there's an effective, widely-adopted vaccine.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:28 am
Suspended

I heard that the lockdown in the Netherlands wasn't that strict but their stats are considerably better than Sweden's. Good train network, cycling infrastructure and great flight options from AMS too. I also recall reading here on FT that hotels remained open throughout (apart from voluntary closures due to lack of guests).
I think NL would be a very good choice if you don't mind the cold weather. They were nowhere near as strict the first time around. Hotels did stay open and there were no restrictions on personal movements (only business closures).

It depends what your priorities are.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: Miles&More AirNZ BA Emirates Finnair Plus
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Not that you would be allowed in here, but in New Zealand life is back to normal. The only thing not normal is that there are no tourists and we can't go on overseas holidays. But if you weren't the sort of person to do that, you would honestly not notice any difference.
I'd have gone there, I got a house in Southland, but my trip in May was cancelled and I don't really know when I'd be able to go back. Canada is nice, I love Nova Scotia, and usually I could stay there up to 6 months. Don't know if they let people from the EU in thought.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I am getting the feeling this is going to be a very unusual winter travel season.
As opposed to the rest of this completely normal year? ;-)
GUWonder, wrp96 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
As opposed to the rest of this completely normal year? ;-)
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some places are definitely far less likely than others to have that kind of lockdown.

I take the point about driving distance in lockdown situations, and it's a good one. Clearly, it's better to be able to get out of a country if you have to.

That is one reason I suggested the USA (via 14 days in a third country). I find it very hard to imagine a situation where there is literally no TATL flight available.

It's just a shame Sweden is so cold in the winter. Otherwise it would be a clear winner.
In the times when I’ve been between Stockholm and Washington, D.C., in January months, more often than not, I’ve found the cold in DC to be worse on average than the cold in Stockholm. Not always, but enough times over the past 20 years, that I wouldn’t suggest avoiding Stockholm because of cold. And I’m not saying that just because some Swedes are of the opinion that there is no bad weather just bad clothing for the weather.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Herd immunity Sweden, Milan, New York, London are the safest as they have the highest amount of cases cumulatively so unlikely to have 'second waves' or lockdowns.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Herd immunity Sweden, Milan, New York, London are the safest as they have the highest amount of cases cumulatively so unlikely to have 'second waves' or lockdowns.
As long as the experts don’t confirm that a previous infection with Covid19 gives people a longer-term immunity against the disease, the idea of “herd immunity” is highly speculative at best.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If I had to do it all over again, I would ride out the pandemic in northwestern Uganda. It is an absolute paradise and your dollar/euro/pound goes quite a long way there. I've lived in Kampala and would gladly spend months or a year in Uganda again. Uganda has registered only two COVID deaths so far.
exbayern and Cryofern like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Just pick a country that you will feel comfortable spending 1-2 months in the ICU, if it comes to that, God forbid. If you get covid, I don’t think there will be flights in and out or evacuation flights to the hospital system or country of your choice. You will probably be stuck there, for better or worse. And then think who will be there to help you, what access to family or friends you may have for assistance.
For many people, COVID is just one thing going on, and has diverted attention away from other issues. Having dealt with my own mortality, I fully support anyone who cannot wait for a COVID solution, and is making plans to be elsewhere in the coming months. As I noted earlier, 'home' is not necessarily where people chose to or ended up riding out the first months. Many are trapped away from their support systems, partners, etc. The reality is that many people cannot postpone their lives indefinitely as they are facing mortality. Even the best health care systems in the world have been diverted by COVID, and at some point we need to consider our own personal situations and whether we can wait it out wherever we are right now.

I expect that the judgement and negative comments will be far less in my real life when I make that decision, than what I have read here. (And thank you to those who have understood that challenge, and have supported these kinds of conversations)
yvrcnx, the810, PVDtoDEL and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:45 am

Sri Lanka still closed?

If I understand correctly, Sri Lanka is still not allowing tourists, and they have pushed the planned August 1 reopening date indefinitely. So planning a winter trip there sounds optimistic.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/sri-la...tries-welcome/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.