Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Brazil has now reopened for tourism, under pre-covid rules.
the810 and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:24 am

Timatic is now showing Brazil as open, but with this restriction: "Passengers with a maximum stay of 90 days must have a medical insurance coverage for the duration of their stay."
the810 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Brazil could turn out to be a viable option. Perfect weather and the currency is pretty weak at the moment.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Brazil could turn out to be a viable option. Perfect weather and the currency is pretty weak at the moment.
This trip could be survivable, correct. I would say it is 50-50...
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:05 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
The currency isn't the only thing that's weak.
I can't imagine looking at all the available options and choosing the one with the second-highest number of total covid-19 cases and the second-highest number of total covid-19 deaths in the world.
Sjoerd and orbitmic like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I spent February in Hua Hin, Thailand, and ended up liking it a lot. Cheap hotels, great food, nice people, not so many tourists from China (this was a big consideration at the time).
Aren't you a tourist from China who went to Thailand?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lmk
The currency isn't the only thing that's weak.
I can't imagine looking at all the available options and choosing the one with the second-highest number of total covid-19 cases and the second-highest number of total covid-19 deaths in the world.
Point is, Brazil is a massive country made of many states, some rich, others poor, so you can still find pockets of the country where the virus has not hit so hard. Rural parts will have escaped much of the pandemic. Even within the cities there will be huge differences. The densely populated favelas have borne the brunt of the cases, whereas richer Brazilians have been able to selectively apply their own personal lockdowns. That said, two members of my family have caught the disease, so nobody is immune...
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Point is, Brazil is a massive country made of many states, some rich, others poor, so you can still find pockets of the country where the virus has not hit so hard. Rural parts will have escaped much of the pandemic. Even within the cities there will be huge differences. The densely populated favelas have borne the brunt of the cases, whereas richer Brazilians have been able to selectively apply their own personal lockdowns. That said, two members of my family have caught the disease, so nobody is immune...
Rural areas are less likely to have good health care availability, especially for foreigners.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Rural areas are less likely to have good health care availability, especially for foreigners.
True, a foreigner would want to carefully choose an area. A good choice would be in the south of the country within striking distance of good care facilities just in case something were to happen. As a general rule, places with low crime rates would correlate well with good healthcare. Renting a house by one of the wealthy beach towns on the coast between SP and Rio could be a good option. Or St Catharina island, the Ibiza of Brazil, would be an excellent choice as the city of Florianopolis is nearby with its world class medical facilities. Helicopters are easy to come by in Brazil and not expensive in case an airlift were needed.
Having said all that, I would not be willing to take the risk myself, mainly because I like cities and all the social aspects Brazil is famous for. The idea of having to keep a social distance does not appeal!
MSPeconomist and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If someone is not willing to social distance and take precautions, paradoxically, their best bet is a place that takes the pandemic seriously and keeps the infections low, as this environment will keep them safe and keep the lifestyle going...
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So what? The numbers challenge the narrative that working age and younger people should act as if invulnerable to being hit hard by this virus and carry on pretty much with business as usual à la pre-COVID-19.
Hello from Singapore.

If Singapore and Qatar statistics - I will let you go and check on your own - will give some clue, it is that covid for men in the age 20-40 y/o is much less lethal compared for people in their 80s with underlying health conditions.

But we all know that this and other statistics will do nothing to convince others because everyone already made up thir mind with the ‘truth’ and reality they are comfortable with.

P.S. Answering the topic question - Singapore and other SEA countries would be a good places weather wise, but I would cross them off entirely. Especially Singapore. In addition to lockdown and de-facto travel ban for the local population, the current measures also include that to enter any building/place one must scan QR code which transmits to government server full personal details of the person. You do the same when you leave the building. So you want to get coffee from Starbucks inside mall - do the procedure 4 times. The next step is to give everyone in the country electronic bluetooth tag they must carry all the time.
The_Bouncer likes this.

Last edited by invisible; Jul 30, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Hello from Singapore.

If Singapore and Qatar statistics - I will let you go and check on your own - will give some clue, it is that covid for men in the age 20-40 y/o is much less lethal compared for people in their 80s with underlying health conditions.

But we all know that this and other statistics will do nothing to convince others because everyone already made up thir mind with the ‘truth’ and reality they are comfortable with.

P.S. Answering the topic question - Singapore and other SEA countries would be a good places weather wise, but I would cross them off entirely. Especially Singapore. In addition to lockdown and de-facto travel ban for the local population, the current measures also include that to enter any building/place one must scan QR code which transmits to government server full personal details of the person. You do the same when you leave the building. So you want to get coffee from Starbucks inside mall - do the procedure 4 times. The next step is to give everyone in the country electronic bluetooth tag they must carry all the time.
At least you are lucky you are locked up over there, they will keep you alive against your will and better judgmement...
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jul 31, 2020 at 2:21 am
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
why avoid Singapore?

Hello from Singapore. Answering the topic question - Singapore and other SEA countries would be a good places weather wise, but I would cross them off entirely. Especially Singapore. In addition to lockdown and de-facto travel ban for the local population, the current measures also include that to enter any building/place one must scan QR code which transmits to government server full personal details of the person. You do the same when you leave the building. So you want to get coffee from Starbucks inside mall - do the procedure 4 times. The next step is to give everyone in the country electronic bluetooth tag they must carry all the time.
I don't understand your point? Avoid Singapore because of electronic monitoring? I can think of # countries which are doing better coping with covid-19 because of electronic monitorig - Taiwan, South Korea & China. Why are you better off to avoid it?? I understand ethical issues viz-a-viz civil liberties. But if I have to choose between pubic health and civil liberties, I know where I am going!
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I don't understand your point? Avoid Singapore because of electronic monitoring? I can think of # countries which are doing better coping with covid-19 because of electronic monitorig - Taiwan, South Korea & China. Why are you better off to avoid it?? I understand ethical issues viz-a-viz civil liberties. But if I have to choose between pubic health and civil liberties, I know where I am going!
Almost all visitors are banned from entering Singapore at this moment (and I expect for many more months), so visiting Singapore is purely theoretical right now.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hello from Singapore.

Singapore has good healthcare facilities for those who can afford it.

Death isn’t the only consequence of being hit by this virus. Damage short of death also happens to a contingent of people who are well below traditional retirement ages. Healthcare matters even for those who are unlikely to die from COVID-19. Even for those who aren’t going to get hit hard by this virus.
MSPeconomist and nk15 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.