Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by 889
No, Turkey had a fairly strong lockdown during the peak period. And there's been no hesitation about reintroducing a degree of lockdown from time to time when the situation regresses. Best to read up on this yourself.

But it's clear that Turkey is making a major effort to re-establish its tourism business, while most other countries are still hunkering down. For the time being, it's less a question of finding a really good place to spend the winter than finding a place which on balance will work out OK. As said, unless there's a dramatic improvement in the pandemic, your choices are very limited.
This is true. For me, it's about finding somewhere that's open, without too many restrictions (and likely to stay that way) with decent enough weather and a reasonable cost of living.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
I gave an honest reply to the OPs question. And my position is supported by the national health services of most countries, and by the vast majority of medical doctors and other experts.
You are of course entitled to your opinion but please do keep in mind that countries such as Barbados will be offering one year working visas to those who can work remotely. I can see others following suit and so it seems that staying at home isn't the only option on the table for some people.
SFO777, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
This is true. For me, it's about finding somewhere that's open, without too many restrictions (and likely to stay that way) with decent enough weather and a reasonable cost of living.
Exactly what I am looking for plus not too isolated so that I can still return to the EU if necessary. I imagine there will be some great deals on accommodation in these locations. Airbnb or short term holiday lets might be the safer option in the event that hotels have to close.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I am going to be facing a similar dilemma this winter.

I live in the EU and usually disappear to South Africa during the winter, but that is probably not going to be practical this year. Tanzania may be an alternative.

Mexico is starting to look like the most likely long haul destination. Bali might be a consideration too, depending on how freely they open up.

Within Europe, the Canary Islands would usually be the obvious choice, but given the heavy lockdowns and the severe restrictions that still exist in Spain, it is one that I'm wary of.

Greece and Malta are looking like possible options.
I suspect that there are several important criteria for your choice.

The first is your age and health. If you are above 40 and have any one or more of the 5 risk factors for adverse outcomes if infected by Covid, then my first recommendation would be to choose a location with a solid heath infrastructure. The last thing you would want is to be in a country with a poor heath system and need ICU care.

The next is your heath insurance status. You want to be in some location that accepts either your personal or state health insurance or some alternate that has been purchased for your specific trip. I would also make sure that you have evacuation insurance in case you need to be moved back to your home country if you become ill or incapacitated.

Finally, you need to carefully access the evolving medical environment prior to departure. It does not take a long time for the virus, which appeared to be "under control" to rear it's ugly head and blossom anew in a country. I think that certain areas of the US are a testament to that fact.

Good luck in your choice.
moondog, The_Bouncer and FlitBen like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:11 am
Suspended

Holiday lets might be the answer. If things do kick off again, there is always the possibility of hotels getting shut down.

I also agree that conversations with insurers need to be had.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:23 am

"It does not take a long time for the virus, which appeared to be 'under control' to rear its ugly head and blossom anew in a country. I think that certain areas of the US are a testament to that fact."

As is Spain, right there in the southern EU.

Problem is, there seems no possible way of predicting when relatively safe will turn to not too safe. Look at Hong Kong, where the virus was essentially gone for a couple of months until it returned in force two weeks ago.

So the best approach, I'd suggest, is just to assume there'll be a lockdown at some point and make sure you pick a city and a residence which'll work for a long-term enforced stay. You can also look at whether the place did enforce lockdown or curfew in the spring, and if so, how strictly.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
My like-minded friends appear to be gravitating to:
Thailand (assuming it reopens): Good value, strong infrastructure and good hospitals for foreigners. Dealt well with first wave
Bali: Some people like that kind of thing
Barbados: Their 1 year residential visa has attracted a lot of attention

I will likely remain at home, but if I have to head to Europe for a client, I will look at whether Thailand is viable for a couple of months around Christmas.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Holiday lets might be the answer. If things do kick off again, there is always the possibility of hotels getting shut down.

I also agree that conversations with insurers need to be had.
My current insurance policies only work in China and the US. Shortly after I arrived in Thailand, I came down with a fever, and went to a really nice hospital in Bangkok; I got to consult with an actual physician within 5 minutes of walking in the door, for example. They ran lots of tests on me (in addition to the CV nasal swab drill), and kept me there for 8 hours. The total bill was less than $200, including medicine. Obviously, an ICU visit would have cost much more, but probably less than 10k. In hindsight, it probably would have been prudent for me to pay for a $100 supplement to cover me in Thailand before the trip, but I didn't think about it at the time because it was a spur of the moment decision (i.e. we felt that we needed to leave China immediately because virus news was frightening).

For the upcoming winter, I'm thinking about checking out 3 new (to me) countries in SE Asia, and will definitely tackle the insurance issue first if I do so. For me, the only upside to CV is that it has liberalized our work protocols (i.e. WFH = work from anywhere that welcomes me).
wrp96 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I often winter on the west coast of Mexico, but Mexico has been hit really really badly with this virus, so not recommended.

Thailand did well and would probably be my next choice
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:58 am

Vietnam has things very much er control and will continue to do so. Uruguay would be nice but won't let you in.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anniegray
I often winter on the west coast of Mexico, but Mexico has been hit really really badly with this virus, so not recommended.

Thailand did well and would probably be my next choice
How severe was the lockdown in Mexico and how easy was it to get out of the country once it started?
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Taiwan

I did a MR to Taipei for Chinese New Year - and really enjoyed it:
- good cycling with great vistas;
- most Taiwanese speak English;
- public transit was efficient as were the inter-city trains;
- Costco!
The challenge will be to get there? I know AC cancelled its non-stop service from YVR - its now seasonal.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Costa Rica is generally very safe, something like 70% of its doctors trained in the USA or Canada and is reopening for travelers from select countries on August 1.

Its a popular destination for US retirees. Whether that is a bug or a feature is your call.
anniegray likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On balance, I'd suggest (mainland urban) Greece for the OP. The medical systems of some of the places that have been mentioned here would scare me. IMO there's also a cultural aspect of the medical system that would make being hospitalized in some parts of the world scary, even if one can get good care. I'm thinking of stuff like whether patients discuss care and decisions with medical professionals, the languages (not) spoken by nurses, etc.

Many islands, including Bali, have limited medical resources.

It's an interesting question.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Think about Madeira.
The_Bouncer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.