Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking travel in 2020 for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:40 pm

Regarding insurance, if you are referring to travel insurance, most policies I've had have a clause saying they don't cover pandemics so I would be very familiar with what they cover and don't cover. I don;t suppose they are selling many policies right now with that clause so there may be changes in that regard.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I wish I could! But it's just so uncertain right now what will and won't be open, what flights will be available, what businesses will survive, etc. How the virus will spread. Will a vaccine exist, how effective will it be, who knows.

I do like to plan out which countries I will go to and what I want to do at them when this is over just for fun (up #1 on that list, visit family I deeply miss), but I don't make any bookings.

With the situation as it is in New Zealand, except for any travel corridors that open up late this year/early next year, I doubt I'll be traveling again until late 2021 at the earliest. I would love to be proven wrong though! Go ahead universe, I won't mind being wrong.
​​​​​
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I was lucky that for once I hadn’t booked much for 2020 when the pandemic started (I had been thinking about an Antarctica cruise, but procrastination saved me), so unlike many others I didn’t have much trouble getting travel refunded/cancelled.
Very fortunate you didn't have to cancel cruises. Cruise refunds are coming back very very slowly. I have some clients who still have yet to get their cruise refunds for March/April travel. It is taking longer than airline refunds.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Everyone booking fully refundable fares should be careful: it is far from certain that all airlines, hotel chains, individual hotels, car rental companies, cruise companies, etc. will survive this pandemic. It is hard getting money back from a bankrupt company or a company that no longer exists.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Everyone booking fully refundable fares should be careful: it is far from certain that all airlines, hotel chains, individual hotels, car rental companies, cruise companies, etc. will survive this pandemic. It is hard getting money back from a bankrupt company or a company that no longer exists.
Indeed. You need to be aware of your credit card protection and what other insurances cover too.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
This is an excellent point and exactly the sort of advice I was hoping to generate. This is another reason to book only hotels without hefty (or any) deposits and to use only points for flights.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:30 am

I booked travel for March 2021, and we got a really good price to Cape Town, SA. I am just praying that by that time, we are allowed to travel to other countries from the USA. We can't blame them for being wary about Americans the way our country is handling COVID19.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I would book it with an airline I know that will not fail (e.g. Lufthansa), fully flexible and the same with the hotel using a credit card. Last minute bookings are the fashion trend these days, I would right now not book anything beyond September of this year.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
We just booked a family ski trip to Colorado in early-Feb 2021. It was never really a question or hesitation.
The condo we prepay 50% now but fully refundable up to 30 days prior to arrival (normal policy), or in the event the ski resort is closed at the time of or arrival (new covid-era policy).
At least by early Jan we will see how they make it through the busy holiday period, as we are going at a non-busy time midweek before Presidents Day weekend.

I'm debating whether to book airfare by the end of the month, to get in under the "no-change fee" waiver through the end of July (that will likely be extended), or just wait until October/November.
I'll probably just wait since there will probably be 10 flight reschedules between now and them anyways, and flying to DEN is easy to get flights really anytime.

Some other things, we are starting to block time on schedules and talk about things but we aren't booking anything further at this time.

I've got some personal travel I want to get in later this year in 2020 in October & November, but its all TBD at this time.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:58 pm

We booked 6 weeks in Mexico for Jan 2021 way back in February. So it will be covered by our travel insurance no matter what. I will not buy flights until much, much closer to the date, unless they are almost free.

I had so many trips booked this year, and it has taken me until now to get most of the money back. I am feeling trips will be planned much more last minute until a vaccine is discovered.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
We just booked a family ski trip to Colorado in early-Feb 2021. It was never really a question or hesitation.
The condo we prepay 50% now but fully refundable up to 30 days prior to arrival (normal policy), or in the event the ski resort is closed at the time of or arrival (new covid-era policy).
At least by early Jan we will see how they make it through the busy holiday period, as we are going at a non-busy time midweek before Presidents Day weekend.

I'm debating whether to book airfare by the end of the month, to get in under the "no-change fee" waiver through the end of July (that will likely be extended), or just wait until October/November.
I'll probably just wait since there will probably be 10 flight reschedules between now and them anyways, and flying to DEN is easy to get flights really anytime.

Some other things, we are starting to block time on schedules and talk about things but we aren't booking anything further at this time.

I've got some personal travel I want to get in later this year in 2020 in October & November, but its all TBD at this time.
Skiing actually seems like a good activity in Corona World. Very little necessary interaction with others in close proximity. Maybe lift lines.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Skiing actually seems like a good activity in Corona World. Very little necessary interaction with others in close proximity. Maybe lift lines.
Many European epicentres have been in ski resorts. Of course, it's probably not skiing itself but related activities, e.g. being cramped with people in a poorly ventilated hut while having a drink (I can hardly imagine having a good time without going inside to warm a bit every now and then).
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by the810
Many European epicentres have been in ski resorts. Of course, it's probably not skiing itself but related activities, e.g. being cramped with people in a poorly ventilated hut while having a drink (I can hardly imagine having a good time without going inside to warm a bit every now and then).
Yes, for many skiing is about the Apres-ski. I am a regular snowboarder and have many friends who go. For many, the only skiing/boarding is the short run down to the nearest bar where you stay for the rest of the day. Accommodation is always too small and packed, just like the bars/restaurants. So it would be reasonable to expect it to be a high risk activity as has been the case in Europe. You could of course just ski which must be low risk. One thing you could do is to avoid resorts that have lots of cabin type lifts, or just avoid those lifts. Chairs and buttons should be safer.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:17 am
Suspended

I am personally planning a return to 'normal' in Fall…2021
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Having had to deal with cancellations of revenue airfare and lodging cost this year, I am reluctant to buy anything for 2021. However, I am booking 2021 travel on points as if there is no pandemic. If I can travel - great; if not, easier to get my points back than my cash back.
I disagree. If there's a reason to cancel, I'd rather deal with AmEx than some FF or hotel program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.