Booking travel in 2020 for 2021

Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Booking travel in 2020 for 2021

I know many of us are thinking about trips for next year. We canceled 3 weeks in Asia this summer, and now Id like to rebook that for summer 2021. Im wondering if the rest of you are starting to book 2021 family trips and what sort of precautions youre taking: type of insurance, destination, particular airline, award vs paid (best cancel policy?), etc.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I know many of us are thinking about trips for next year. We canceled 3 weeks in Asia this summer, and now Id like to rebook that for summer 2021. Im wondering if the rest of you are starting to book 2021 family trips and what sort of precautions youre taking: type of insurance, destination, particular airline, award vs paid (best cancel policy?), etc.
It is likely that things arent going to be back to normal in 2021. Especially in Asia. Meaning that it is likely that some airlines wont survive, that it is likely that some countries/regions are still closed to (some) tourists, that it is likely there are still quarantine and other health measures as a condition for being allowed to go somewhere, etc.

I wouldnt book anything so far in advance until things will become clearer.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Booking now for next year is crazy, in my opinion. So much is unknown that that prices are likely to be high rather than low. Insurance is unclear, infrastructure is unclear, country openings are unclear...I don't plan on booking anything in 2020 for 2021.
Sjoerd and kiwifrequentflyer like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Personally, I would go ahead and book. I am also looking at Asia, but need to wait for the award flight availability on BA. For sure no one knows what is going to happen next year. I think it is unlikely that there will still be major restrictions in place as no country can afford that. However, the real lesson of this year is not to book things that cannot be cancelled for a refund and make sure your insurance covers you for any other eventualities.

Last edited by DaveS; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:24 am
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Insurance is unclear, infrastructure is unclear, country openings are unclear...I don't plan on booking anything in 2020 for 2021.
Coincidentally my wife and i were just speaking about 2021 travel, having cancelled everything through end of 2020. Our UK relatives have been talking a good game about reconvening everyone in London or Scotland this time next year. We've nodded politely but told each other there's little practical chance of actually going. The whole planet could relapse with tragic effect as easily as see a stream of effective vaccines. And even if the medical problems are receding, who knows what airlines will be left or what everyone's economics will be. In truth we don't see 2021 at all.... maybe 2022.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BearX220
Coincidentally my wife and i were just speaking about 2021 travel, having cancelled everything through end of 2020. Our UK relatives have been talking a good game about reconvening everyone in London or Scotland this time next year. We've nodded politely but told each other there's little practical chance of actually going. The whole planet could relapse with tragic effect as easily as see a stream of effective vaccines. And even if the medical problems are receding, who knows what airlines will be left or what everyone's economics will be. In truth we don't see 2021 at all.... maybe 2022.

Precisely. With so many unknowns, why commit to something now, tying up money which will be a pain to have refunded. I don't think prices are low (enough) to offset this risk.
notquiteaff, Zeeb and Bogwoppit like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I agree that 2021 is a big question mark. Id intended to use points for awards and, if necessary, cancel with a small point penalty (If the flights themselves arent canceled). Same for hotels. Thats what we had booked this summer and it was simple (and painless) to cancel. We lost nothing.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I agree that 2021 is a big question mark. Id intended to use points for awards and, if necessary, cancel with a small point penalty (If the flights themselves arent canceled). Same for hotels. Thats what we had booked this summer and it was simple (and painless) to cancel. We lost nothing.
Perhaps the reason you had no problems with refunds this year was because the disease and it's effects were all novel and unexpected, so the travel industry was unprepared for the onslaught of cancellations and refund requests.

However, now that travel companies have experience, they are going to be less flexible or lenient with people who book and then want to cancel and expect full refunds. You may experience some or considerable blow back when trying to repeat what was successful in Spring '20 when repeated in Spring '21.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by radonc1
Perhaps the reason you had no problems with refunds this year was because the disease and it's effects were all novel and unexpected, so the travel industry was unprepared for the onslaught of cancellations and refund requests.

However, now that travel companies have experience, they are going to be less flexible or lenient with people who book and then want to cancel and expect full refunds. You may experience some or considerable blow back when trying to repeat what was successful in Spring '20 when repeated in Spring '21.
I think the opposite is true. For people to be prepared to book, travel companies are having to offer flexible cancellation options. You would be foolish to book anything that cannot be cancelled at the moment.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1

Actually, the reason I had no trouble was because I booked hotels either with refundable rates or used points that were also redepositable. And because my awards were on NH with a 3k point penalty. Ultimately I wasnt charged that penalty bc my flight was canceled. But 3k points is nothing.

Originally Posted by DaveS
I think the opposite is true. For people to be prepared to book, travel companies are having to offer flexible cancellation options. You would be foolish to book anything that cannot be cancelled at the moment.
We are seeing this even now with various airlines offering very flexible change options.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Having had to deal with cancellations of revenue airfare and lodging cost this year, I am reluctant to buy anything for 2021. However, I am booking 2021 travel on points as if there is no pandemic. If I can travel - great; if not, easier to get my points back than my cash back.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:47 pm
Suspended

We'll definitely be heading abroad in 2021. The plan is for Switzerland sometime between Memorial and Labor Day weekends (summer). We won't let a little virus rain on our parade. That would be silly.

We have several flights planned for the remainder of 2020 as well.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have booked some speculative travel for later this year. However, the funds mostly came out of my AS wallet (from refunds), so very little new money has been tied up. I might book some award travel that is easily refundable if I find good fares.

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Having had to deal with cancellations of revenue airfare and lodging cost this year, I am reluctant to buy anything for 2021. However, I am booking 2021 travel on points as if there is no pandemic. If I can travel - great; if not, easier to get my points back than my cash back.
​​​​​​

I was lucky that for once I hadnt booked much for 2020 when the pandemic started (I had been thinking about an Antarctica cruise, but procrastination saved me), so unlike many others I didnt have much trouble getting travel refunded/cancelled.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I had a credit expiring for a trip to a wedding in March..it was a credit for Frontier that was set to expire in mid June. I don't feel comfortable flying anywhere so I booked it for the latest date allowed which is for early Sept 2021.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I'd only book anything if it was fully refundable for any reason - you wouldn't want to be in a situation where, say, the flight you are booked on is still flying but it's too a place where you have to quarantine on arrival, or where everything you wanted to do is shut down, or whatever, and the airline won't refund you because they're still taking the flight even though you no longer want to be on it.
Stgermainparis and DaveS like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.