Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking travel in 2020 for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm not booking anything yet. I don't see the need to have to book so far in advance. As for insurance, there will be none that covers Covid and I don't wan to be in the USA if I have to go to hospital.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree. If there's a reason to cancel, I'd rather deal with AmEx than some FF or hotel program.
I've always gotten hotel/airline points/miles back immediately after canceling... Have you or others had point redeposits be more painful than revenue ticket refunds?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
I've always gotten hotel/airline points/miles back immediately after canceling... Have you or others had point redeposits be more painful than revenue ticket refunds?
My experience has been the same as yours. Near instant redeposit of points. And in my case only one rez required a call in.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree. If there's a reason to cancel, I'd rather deal with AmEx than some FF or hotel program.
AMEX refused AFKL chargeback claims for NL and FR residents as the pandemic upheaval impacted flight schedules. As the pandemic continues, I expect travel companies and merchants everywhere to ramp up the frustration factor on chargebacks and refunds. More to the point, given the uncertainties of the moment the smart play is to minimize "new money" out of pocket travel spend as much as possible.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:09 am

I was looking at some potential bookings for late fall (decided to not do so), noticed on the booking dot com site, some payment options for non refundable, have a notation that they remain non refundable even if covid stops travel. No way I would book those at this time. So far I've received all refunds without issue for 2020 and the stress of waiting for airline to cancel and uncertainty of countries opening up, is something I'll avoid for the foreseeable future.
Sjoerd and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Friday's nonstop SK SFO-CPH (exempt) tempts me. But nothing beyond then.

Mayor Breed on CNN: 'We are living in COVID for the next 12 to 18 months'
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...r-15415545.php
Old Jul 21, 2020, 5:38 pm

My biggest issue isn't 2021, but booking flights for this Christmas-NewYear timeframe. From the US, I'd really like to go somewhere warmer for the holidays, Carribean or Pacific Islands - but there is no clue on what will be open, and my concern is that by the time there is some more clarity (say, around November), the flight prices will be too expensive for the holidays (typically we buy these flights 365 days in advance on awards, those won't work any more).
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My well-traveled HS senior has been in intense convos with friends about a European backpacking trip next summer. I don’t have the heart to tell him it ain’t gonna happen. I figure whatever disappointment he ultimately may feel, at least it won’t be my fault. Even if Europe opens, I doubt many of these parents (myself included) will feel comfortable letting our newly minted adult children run wild on the Eurail with everything we’ve seen.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
My well-traveled HS senior has been in intense convos with friends about a European backpacking trip next summer. I don’t have the heart to tell him it ain’t gonna happen. I figure whatever disappointment he ultimately may feel, at least it won’t be my fault. Even if Europe opens, I doubt many of these parents (myself included) will feel comfortable letting our newly minted adult children run wild on the Eurail with everything we’ve seen.
I don't have kids but I would agree with you. Not being a parent, though, how do you stop him if he's 18 and doesn't listen? I guess financial pressure if he's not on his own?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I don't have kids but I would agree with you. Not being a parent, though, how do you stop him if he's 18 and doesn't listen? I guess financial pressure if he's not on his own?
He has no money, but yes no stopping him technically. Thankfully he’s a great kid with deference to those who propose rational arguments better than his own. And I’d hazard a guess that most kids in the summer after high school graduation don’t have a couple Gs to blow on a trip.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:27 am
Suspended

I know many of us are thinking about trips for next year. We canceled 3 weeks in Asia this summer, and now I’d like to rebook that for summer 2021. I’m wondering if the rest of you are starting to book 2021 family trips and what sort of precautions you’re taking: type of insurance, destination, particular airline, award vs paid (best cancel policy?), etc.
Is it possible to rebook the trip? One of my friends had a trip of 3 weeks in Europe and now he cannot rebook it. I t is canceled. He is happy that at least they returned him money.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
My biggest issue isn't 2021, but booking flights for this Christmas-NewYear timeframe. From the US, I'd really like to go somewhere warmer for the holidays, Carribean or Pacific Islands - but there is no clue on what will be open, and my concern is that by the time there is some more clarity (say, around November), the flight prices will be too expensive for the holidays (typically we buy these flights 365 days in advance on awards, those won't work any more).
Sadly, with a disease that is highly infectious and highly asymptomatic as well, it is going to be a task to control it without restrictions such as limiting travel entry and exit.

Since I do not believe that we will have a widely distributed vaccine available by this new year, I would only book travel that can be done with assurances of refunds if and when cancelled.

If you book it, there is a great likelihood that you are going to be cancelling it
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:03 pm

I think the amount of clarity we have in Summer 2021 will be so much more vast than anything anyone can imagine now.

I can see a world in 6-12 months where tests are readily available at border crossings and pretty much all countries will allow access after a brief test that doesn't take 5 days to come back.

The travel industry is going to invest big in any tech that will fix their huge problem and already have plans to get it done.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53495768
IoViaggio and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Am considering pulling the trigger on 4 saver award seats for summer of 2021 and knew I would find a thread on point!

Until this year this would be a no-brainer an easy decision, as it is usually impossible to find 4 saver award business class seats on a TATL nonstop. But I will have to transfer valuable Chase UR points and would prefer not to have miles stuck in UA if we are forced to cancel due to COVID. Of course, that's not a terrible worse case scenario, as I have lifetime UA status and miles don't expire (at least until the airline does).

Is this an easy call or should I be hesitant to book anything 11 months out?
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Am considering pulling the trigger on 4 saver award seats for summer of 2021 and knew I would find a thread on point!

Until this year this would be a no-brainer an easy decision, as it is usually impossible to find 4 saver award business class seats on a TATL nonstop. But I will have to transfer valuable Chase UR points and would prefer not to have miles stuck in UA if we are forced to cancel due to COVID. Of course, that's not a terrible worse case scenario, as I have lifetime UA status and miles don't expire (at least until the airline does).

Is this an easy call or should I be hesitant to book anything 11 months out?
I feel that same itch and have a lot of points in NH bc of this summer’s cancelation. If I see flights available, I think I’m going to book (but that’s 5x J). The one difference for me is that the points are already in NH so I’m not doing an irreversible transfer. Oh and NH change or cancel “fee” is only 3k points. If you can live with having UA points vs UR points in the event of a cancelation, then I’d book it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.