Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by woolfson
I hope that you will be able to recover some of the monies owed to you. Basically, a contract for carriage is a contract for carriage, and it does not matter how, or why, the contract can not be fulfilled, especially when that reason is beyond your control.
How have you gone about collection when you have won in court?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by tbuff
Here's one: Cross posted in Qantas forum but probably more appropriate here:

Hi,
First off if there is a better place to post this please let me know - I couldn't find a Qantas specific thread

I am Canadian and booked an inter - Australia ticket in January. MEL-KGC through ADL then KGC-SYD through ADL. I have the PDF of this.

Last night, I get an email from Qantas that my flights have changed. It said basically that my KGC-ADL flight was still on.

When I log in, none of the other flights show up - only KGC-ADL. Does this mean they canceled my flight?

I am also not familiar with Australian rules - can I get a refund? I know with EUR261 I would, and also I would typically in Canada also, but I am wondering what the rules are in Australia, I cannot find them.

I am sure I will have to call them but want to go in armed with the best information I can. I also bought cancellation insurance that covers 'quarantine'.

Any help appreciated, or to point me in the right direction
QF has cancelled out nearly all their flights for the near future

QF will try to push you towards a Voucher but under their Conditions of Carriage s13 talks about circumstances where you are entitled to a refund. Prepare to have a long wait on hold if calling them.

As I have less than 5 posts I can't post an active URL, there should be enough info to figure the link out below

qantas com/au/en/book-a-trip/flights/conditions-of-carriage.html#-refunds
Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Arby
I just received this email from Jetstar (I think Jetstar Asia if that makes a difference). I don't fly frequently flyer and want my debit card refunded instead of a voucher that i might not use.

I contacted JetStar by Chat and the agent said:

I guess the next step is to try to get my debit card company to reverse the charges.

Note this is not a rescheduled flight but a cancellation. Not sure how Jetstar can justify refusing a refund but they are doing so.

Btw, I had a similar issue with Cebu Pacific they offered me a choice between a voucher and a refund so had them process the refund. They said it might take 3-4 billing cycle to show up on my debit card statement. I have no problem waiting for the money, as long as I eventually get it.
After two unsuccessful interactions with Jetstar Chat, I had the Chat rep open up a Customer Care complaint with a case number. He said not to set my expectations too high. I figured I'd wait a week for a response before contacting my debit card company.

To my surprise, less than 24 hours later, I got an email saying I would receive a refund to my debit card in about 14-30 days.

So with Jetstar Asia it seems their Chat reps are instructed to only issue vouchers and one needs to insist on making a formal complaint with a case number.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't think you can be sure of that either, partly as schedules will be pruned back sharply. I expect that either you or the airline will eventually cancel the flight and you'll have your miles redeposited. In that respect, the miles are the same as a voucher.
exceot far less useful for 2 reasons -
1. risk virgin wont exist by the end so points will be worthless
2. I booked both legs exactly 11 months out in order to get desired dates, this means going back to the start if I even can still use points
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:27 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Has anyone had any luck with hotels .com or booking . com non-refundable bookings in terms of getting them to accept to offer a refund?

I have asked nicely and been refused on both sites for several bookings, as they contact the property and - surprise, surprise - the property says no.
I asked March 12th and was lucky, at least with one of my two bookings. Both hotels were pre paid and not possible to cancel. Used the button provided online to ask hotels to refund me. Wrote a nice message. Both said yes, but only one of them has paid me back (so far). Tried to contact the 2nd hotel earlier this week asking about my refund, but they have not answered. The hotel that refunded me had the payment done by booking.com while the other one had direct payment. I will wait and see with my fingers crossed.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:38 am

Anyone having issues with flight refund?

The US and EU authorities have both published notices to protect travelers as they were receiving lot of complaints regarding refunds! Anyone having similar issues?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amanda9
The US and EU authorities have both published notices to protect travelers as they were receiving lot of complaints regarding refunds! Anyone having similar issues?
Yes and the airlines are still dragging their feet trying to frustrate and delay refunds. I sense that US DOT will be laying the fines hammer on offending airlines soon.
angra likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by amanda9
Did you read any of the posts in this thread --or the similar threads in individual airline fora-- before posting?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I hope they do and ASAP.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, SWA Free Companion Award Winner, UA
Originally Posted by angra
How have you gone about collection when you have won in court?
Never had to enforce a judgement. Next time it happens, I'll put a gate hold on a plane. ;-)

The airline sent a check after court, and then I filed a paper with the court to indicate that the judgement was satisfied. I have never

Here's an image of the check (minus the account #) from the last time I had to take United to court:

http://customer.files49.com/private/settlement.jpg
angra and hoipolloi like this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by mortsoz
QF has cancelled out nearly all their flights for the near future

QF will try to push you towards a Voucher but under their Conditions of Carriage s13 talks about circumstances where you are entitled to a refund. Prepare to have a long wait on hold if calling them.

As I have less than 5 posts I can't post an active URL, there should be enough info to figure the link out below

qantas com/au/en/book-a-trip/flights/conditions-of-carriage.html#-refunds
Thanks. waited on hold for 5 minutes. Agent offered full refund. Unsure on how long it will take to process?

Also got through to LH in 5 minutes. Canceled flight and same thing - refund offered. Said 30 business days though.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, SWA Free Companion Award Winner, UA
Thanks. waited on hold for 5 minutes. Agent offered full refund. Unsure on how long it will take to process?

Also got through to LH in 5 minutes. Canceled flight and same thing - refund offered. Said 30 business days though.
This is fantastic news.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by woolfson
This is fantastic news.
Will believe it when I see the credit balances on my cards. So some hope, but will see.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:03 am

Nice result!

Yes the cash is apparently taking a while to come through.

Good to hear the wait for the phone was short, I've put off ringing QF to cancel the 2nd half of my OWA as there were reports of multiple hour waits. I spent enough hours waiting on the phone just to book it!
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:41 pm

UA refunded non-refundable international return flight today via customer care phone call with no problems. Even got through immediately.

Dulles to Toulouse, Fr, departing 16 April, returning 6 May. At least one of four flight legs cancelled by UA. Rep offered me credits/vouchers and I simply said "refund to my original form of payment (credit card) please". She went off to check with supervisor and a few minutes later came back to indicate full refund was being processed. 5-7 business days to see credit to my account.

Within minutes this showed up under My Trips on my account to confirm cancellation and refund:

Ticket status: This reservation has been canceled and refunded/voided as applicable.
hoipolloi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.