Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Old Mar 18, 20, 7:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 453
Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

After reading several airline coronavirus policies, I noticed that there are no mentions of refunds for flights or routes cancelled by the airline. They only mention that you will get a credit that can be used later if the customer decides to cancel. Don't fall for it, the airlines are trying to get customers to cancel first, which would disqualify from a refund.

Don't cancel, let the airline cancel the flights, then you can demand a refund. With the current coronavirus crisis, most flights will be cancelled or incur significant schedule changes that qualify for a full refund.
Fims, arollins, elc2414 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 18, 20 at 5:33 pm Reason: Restored original title
hoipolloi is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 8:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: XNA
Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by hoipolloi View Post
After reading several airline coronavirus policies, I noticed that there are no mentions of refunds for flights or routes cancelled by the airline. They only mention that you will get a credit that can be used later if the customer decides to cancel. Don't fall for it, the airlines are trying to get customers to cancel first, which would disqualify from a refund.

Don't cancel, let the airline cancel the flights, then you can demand a refund. With the current coronavirus crisis, most flights will be cancelled or incur significant schedule changes that qualify for a full refund.
This is what I've been curious about. We have a trip to LHR on May 3rd on AA, and so far it has only been rescheduled (with an 8.5 hour connection!). I read on AA's website that there will only be one flight daily to LHR through May 6th, and it's not the flight we are scheduled on. Just waiting for THEM to cancel our flight now.....
elc2414 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 8:17 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 6,929
Yeah, curious how this will work in practice. I have a R/T pair of flights scheduled for Canada later this week. Looks that the border will be closed soon - and thus presumably flights canceled, but it's been a bit of a game of chicken; my curiosity is at what point they would cancel.

Would they potentially wait until past the check-in cutoff to cancel in order to put the onus on the flyers (no-shows), preventing refunds?
FlyerDigits and hoipolloi like this.
arlflyer is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,120
Yeah, we had our TK flights to the US from the EU. Booked on March 2, then Trump's ban came but the flights weren't cancelled - however we were offered rebooking option which we didn't want (even now I can't set any date in 2020 that I think it's possible to go). Anyway my strategy is like OP, wait it out. We waited and then EU ban flights, that did the trigger and my flights were cancelled. Now we are waiting for our second refund (still waiting for my OTA CA refund).

So wait if you are looking for a refund.
hoipolloi likes this.
nacho is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:23 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: BRU
Programs: Miles and More FTL; BA Exec Club Silver
Posts: 196
This may be of use to those of you flying on EU carriers or ex-EU. The EU released today interpretative guidelines for EU261 Regulation (ensuring refunds for passengers for cancelled flights) for airlines and passengers in the case of flight cancellations. It's mostly good from the passenger perspective. One thing to be aware of though if you go for rebooking at a later date than proposed by the airline, is that the airline then has no duty of care beyond rebooking you on that later date - so won't cover hotels, for example. However, if airline puts you on next flight but that involves an overnight, then duty of care is required.

For cancellations, you are entitled to a full refund of the ticket cost, and the airline cannot only offer you a voucher. It must offer a full refund. The full details are here - https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites.../c20201830.pdf
dahguy likes this.
ChrisBub is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:27 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Posts: 763
Yeah may need to play the waiting game also. Scheduled to fly to STT for a BVI sailing trip in April with a group of friends. BVI has closed to tourists from high risk areas and since we are all in the California counties specifically listed in the ban. We will reschedule but need to avoid hurricane season so looking at early 2021. AA states rescheduling must be before 12/31/20 so not sure if that means we would lose the entire value of any travel credit.
sierranevada is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:37 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 47,298
Originally Posted by ChrisBub View Post
This may be of use to those of you flying on EU carriers or ex-EU. The EU released today interpretative guidelines for EU261 Regulation (ensuring refunds for passengers for cancelled flights) for airlines and passengers in the case of flight cancellations. It's mostly good from the passenger perspective. One thing to be aware of though if you go for rebooking at a later date than proposed by the airline, is that the airline then has no duty of care beyond rebooking you on that later date - so won't cover hotels, for example. However, if airline puts you on next flight but that involves an overnight, then duty of care is required.

For cancellations, you are entitled to a full refund of the ticket cost, and the airline cannot only offer you a voucher. It must offer a full refund. The full details are here - https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites.../c20201830.pdf
I don't see the Guidance as providing anything beyond the common understanding on this point. E.g., if there is a cancellation, one is entitled to a refund if that is what one wishes. But, if the flight operates and one chooses to take advantage of a waiver or other concession made by the carrier, it is on the terms offered by the carrier, e.g. a voucher.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:18 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 732
This is exactly what I am doing, waiting out the airlines.

When this began I had 8 non refundable tickets across AA, UA, LX, TK, KL and U2.

At the beginning none of the airlines would give a refund, only vouchers. Now a couple of weeks later I have recovered about $3000 as airlines cancel flights and adjust their schedules.

Still waiting for KL to make changes to my IST-AMS-ARN itinerary for 4/9. That is the only one remaining.
GUWonder and hoipolloi like this.
B747forever is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:25 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Jersey. USA
Programs: DL, BA, AA Gold, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by elc2414 View Post
This is what I've been curious about. We have a trip to LHR on May 3rd on AA, and so far it has only been rescheduled (with an 8.5 hour connection!). I read on AA's website that there will only be one flight daily to LHR through May 6th, and it's not the flight we are scheduled on. Just waiting for THEM to cancel our flight now.....
Assuming the new extended connection of 8.5 hours creates a new departure and/or arrival time of that connecting flight that is more than 3 hours difference from the original itinerary, wouldn't you be entitled to a full refund? One could claim this creates a "trip in vain". I recently did so with a trip that contained two separate one way tickets and each ticket was moved from the original schedule by more than the 3 hours. I had no problems with a full refund for each ticket to my original form of payment. I never acknowledged or accepted the emails in the weeks leading up to the trip regarding the schedule change. I am writing this suggestion assuming you have not done so either. I learned from other FT forums not to accept or acknowledge these changes in the event I felt I would want or need to cancel. The airline even called me a few days out to confirm I was aware of the schedule changes. I responded that I appreciated the call and would review my emails from them and take notice of any changes and determine how it would effect my plans. The CS rep had no problem with that.
Pittie Pup is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 4:46 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Charlottesville, Va. USA
Posts: 1,566
What about Qatar? I have bus. seats from South africa, cpt/doh/iad for May 5. South africa has announced that americans can not enter the country. Should I wait for them to cancel?
jmj9905 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 4:52 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smyrna, GA, USA
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,612
In my case, with Aeromexico, even having the airline cancel the flight (twice!) I still can't get them to agree to a refund. They just keep rebooking me to different days without my assent.
angra is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:06 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,120
Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
What about Qatar? I have bus. seats from South africa, cpt/doh/iad for May 5. South africa has announced that americans can not enter the country. Should I wait for them to cancel?
You should be able to get vouchers for future use from QR. You case is tricky because as long as QR is flying then you have right to a full refund.
nacho is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,224
I am waiting as well to see what is next. I have a domestic trip second week of May, and the rate has dropped by almost $200.
arollins is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:48 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Charlottesville, Va. USA
Posts: 1,566
Nacho thanks for the quick response but I am confused. Why would I take a voucher if I can get a full refund?
jmj9905 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:50 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 8,120
Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
Nacho thanks for the quick response but I am confused. Why would I take a voucher if I can get a full refund?
The problem is that as long as the scheduled flights are flying as usual, you will not be entitled to refund (it doesn't matter who ban who from coming in).

As you are not flying until May 5, you need to wait as long as possible, and request a refund as soon as any segment of your flight is cancelled.
FlitBen likes this.
nacho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: