Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:13 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/07/health/coronavirus-mutations-analysis/index.html

If you have to catch this, odds are the later you catch it, the better you will do, all things considered, IF there is an ICU bed for you in the unlikely event you need it.
You've been following what happened in China, the very sick took all the resources, if you come last, you may spend a lot of time in the waiting room, or get sent home as all the respirators and beds will be already filled up.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Taiwan is a first-world country with strong, independent state institutions (unlike the US these days). And, while there's certainly a degree of political polarization, it's spawned nothing like the scorched-earth campaign of destruction being waged on the US civil service.
I truly fear the US is facing a rampant, uncontrolled epidemic.
60 Minutes tonight had 2 segments that is connected to what you are saying - the interview with Anthony Fauci and the interview with Fiona Hill. You are rooting for those who know what they are doing and are telling the truth.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:37 pm

There is always some community criticism of the levels of protection afforded by the seasonal flu vaccine, but the reality is it can never be more than a cocktail of “best guess” , based on estimates of likely circulating strains. But even at 50% protection, it’s better than nothing, and particularly so this year, as access to care for anyone with ‘just’ the flu might be more difficult ( and an ‘unnecessary’ flu will put all the more strain on healthcare systems under pressure).
So I hope everyone will take up the option of seasonal flu vaccine ( in Australia, free for over 65s, and very cheap for everyone else).
It would be terrible ( not to mention awfully bad luck) to end up getting Covid-19 and seasonal flu concurrently.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by doctoravios
We need to do a lot better to educate people on basic hygiene measures and social distancing because this is what will have the greatest impact. I really don't know how we can do this better but people need to have constant reminders not to touch their faces, not to cough/sneeze everywhere, to wash their hands. Maybe we should blast these messages out every couple of minutes on the radio/TV/public transport? I don't know but some of the behaviours I am observing just make me cringe and make me despair!
Some of the Chinese tv stations I watch have been doing that, during every commercial break.

I feel your pain about the observations. Especially when I notice it coming from people that should know better (pharmacy staff or a PA).
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:18 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by LizGross144
Violet water is a cologne, not a disinfectant. I'm going to go with an emphatic no it would not be effective. And because it is a cologne/fragrance, using it is probably more likely to impact allergies of other passengers, causing them to sneeze. Please don't do this.
Bacardi 151 should do the trick in a pinch. Isopropyl alcohol is just alcohol. Almost-pure ethanol will do the job just fine.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I just flew through LAX and SEA tonight. Didn’t see a single face mask. Seemed pretty much business as usual. Alaska seems to offer its first class passengers single wrap hand wipes together with the tiny water bottle. We in Premium Class had to pull out our own wipes to clean the seat area.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Some of the Chinese tv stations I watch have been doing that, during every commercial break.

I feel your pain about the observations. Especially when I notice it coming from people that should know better (pharmacy staff or a PA).
Repeating of such wash your hands and block your cough/sneeze public service announcements is standard on public bus and train displays in various parts of Scandinavia.

Some airlines in Europe have started handing out disinfectant wipe packets during meal/beverage service. Aegean/Olympic Air for example.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Here's a quick look at temperatures of the hot-spots around the world.
California:
Needs further investigation. A few cases from Diamond Princess, but plenty of unrelated cases.
Remains one of the anomalies.
An anomaly here in California is that there was no rain for all of February for much of the state. That has meant lower humidities and colder temperatures, especially nighttime temperatures. (Rainy weather usually means warmer temperatures as the clouds keep heat from radiating into outer space.)
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by doctoravios
The best way to do this is to slow down the rate of new infections through personal/societal infection control approaches.
This is what I've been telling people when they ask me for advice (because apparently being a relatively frequent traveler makes me an infectious disease expert) and I'm glad to know that it is at least decent advice.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Understood. At the same time, we can do back on the envelope calculation with current growth factors how many hospital and ICU/CCU beds would be required if hospitalization time is 7, 10, 14 or 21 days and if serious/critical percentage of hospitalized are 5, 7, 10, 15%. Right?
I posted an analysis of this problem (hospital bed, or equivalently ICU bed, demand) earlier in the thread (seems an age ago now the way things have developed since then ... ). It is good to see though that now more focus is being placed on this aspect of the epidemic. This is a little more sophisticated than the one referenced in the twitter thread linked some way above by karenkay , but still relies on estimates of some average numbers for the key parameters (i.e. doesn't consider a distribution of values).

For anyone that it interested you can play around with the numbers using this spreadsheet here (link to Excel file):

The inputs required (and factors that influence the demand for hospital beds are:
(1) the initial number of cases;
(2) the doubling time;
(3) the fraction infections that require hospitalization;
(4) the average number of days after infection that these patients need hospitalization;
(5) the average duration of hospital care needed.

The same model can be used for the demand on ICU beds (changing the inputs in (3-5) appropriately).

In turns out that the fraction of total cases needing a bed settles to a fixed value based on the values of (2-5) above. Interestingly the duration of care needed doesn't have a large impact, as for most sensible values this is already much larger than the doubling time (so the number of patients admitted in the last few days greatly outweighs the much smaller number admitted several doubling-times before).

For anyone interested in the mathematics, I give a walk-through of the derivation of this steady state in the spoiler-box below.
Spoiler

In other news ... some updates from here in Beijing regarding implementation of social distancing:

(1) Large shops/supermarkets have to stick to a maximum customer density, so in theory you many need to queue to get into a shop. So far this has not happened to me (though it is clear they are keeping track of the number in the shop at any time)

(2) Banks and other places with a service counter follow the same system, but here queues outside are more common, and most have used tape-markings on the sidewalk/pavement to indicate 1m or 2m distance between people in a queue. Remarkable thing, despite much former evidence to the contrary, it turns out that people in China do know "how to queue" - they just needed some tape markings to help with the organizational aspect I had to go to a bank a couple of days ago - what would normally have taken maybe 10 minutes took 40 (with only 2 customers allowed in the bank at any time - as just two bank staff were serving customers).

(3) Restaurants are still mostly either closed or doing (good) business on a take-out/delivery basis. Where they are open the rule mentioned above about "1 person per table" does seem to be implemented as far as I can tell, though apparently this is not a Beijing govenrment rule (only "advisory").

(4) One of the main hurdles to getting the city fully functioning is the large number of workers that would need to use public transport to get from the suburbs to work. The company my wife works for (a state-owned legal office) is ready to start working as normal, but most likely won't as most of the work can be done from home, and companies in this position are encouraged to maintain the "home-office" model, so as to reduce the demand on the bus/metro system for employees who cannot work from home.

(5) In that regard I read that there was a trial of a "pre-booking" system for travel on the metro during rush hour. This works by each day people having to reserve a time-slot for travel on the metro, with only a certain number of people allowed into the metro system during rush hour (in practice done by getting a QR code on a smart-phone that allows access to the metro), This trial was carried out I think at two or three stations - but I haven't heard any feedback yet regarding how it worked, or if it will be extended.

Last edited by GinFizz; Mar 9, 2020 at 7:52 am
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Visconti
How would you characterize the local reaction to visitors wearing masks in France?
In my town I didn't see anyone wearing masks. And when I went to Paris, I didn't see many wearing masks. Maybe a few tourists, but Paris is used to seeing odd tourists.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheers.
Will be interesting to see the effect on COVID-19 spread, if any!
I honestly didn’t think it would get warm enough anywhere to see if weather could have an effect before mid April - so I am VERY interested and will be looking at this extremely closely.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Velocipediste
An anomaly here in California is that there was no rain for all of February for much of the state. That has meant lower humidities and colder temperatures, especially nighttime temperatures. (Rainy weather usually means warmer temperatures as the clouds keep heat from radiating into outer space.)
Rainy weather in winter prevents steep radiative cooling over night in cold spells but it does not lead to any temperature in the sense of being warm. Most winter rain in California are due to cold front passage, so temperature will drop rather than rise.

Cheers.
Will be interesting to see the effect on COVID-19 spread, if any!
I cannot read Spanish. Could you tell how long the period and what are the temperature and humidity forecasts? The later could be relative humidity, or dew point temperature, or simply some descriptive words.

I am doubtfully a synoptic (3-7 days) event will make a detectable difference.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The big statistical distortion in the death toll surely arises from “age and pre-existing conditions”. Whilst any death is a great sadness, until there is detailed data on the victims I find it difficult to determine a degree of personal risk. After all, it’s a form of Flu that kills tens of thousands annually, albeit that this seems more transmissible and severe in some individuals.

Disclaimer - I’m 75 with no health issues, and continuing to enjoy travel NO intention of cancelling or rescheduling anying in the diary - Malta, USA (Virginia), St. Lucia and South Africa. I refuse to participate in a Pan-Panic.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by T8191
The big statistical distortion in the death toll surely arises from “age and pre-existing conditions”. Whilst any death is a great sadness, until there is detailed data on the victims I find it difficult to determine a degree of personal risk. After all, it’s a form of Flu that kills tens of thousands annually, albeit that this seems more transmissible and severe in some individuals.

Disclaimer - I’m 75 with no health issues, and continuing to enjoy travel NO intention of cancelling or rescheduling anying in the diary - Malta, USA (Virginia), St. Lucia and South Africa. I refuse to participate in a Pan-Panic.
The Who says there are new papers under review regarding comorbidity, hopefully they can tease out and separate the effects/risks of age from those of comorbidity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.