Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Have you been to an impacted country/are you booked to go to one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you been to an impacted country/are you booked to go to one?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
My company is too small to have a formal policy. There are 3-4 of us doing most of the trips, so we work it out case-by-case.

I'll be in Washington DC all of next week - the conference is going ahead, and there are 1600 delegates expected. After that I have four round trips to to Europe booked for April-May for small conferences (20 to 100 people) in Madrid, near Liverpool, Brussels, Brussels again. We have decided that if the conferences go ahead, we will attend. Attending events like this is very important for our business.
--
13F
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:23 am

I'm in Seattle, the Wuhan of America. I'm an commercial pilot based in SEA as well. Does that count as exposure?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Raymoland
I'm in Seattle, the Wuhan of America. I'm an commercial pilot based in SEA as well. Does that count as exposure?
In a week - it will.
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:43 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Raymoland
Surprised the Seattle Freeze didn't work better!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:47 am

I have a trip planned to Tokyo in May. I’m expecting to cancel it unless things get better soon, but I’m holding out for some airline and hotel refunds if possible.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by smartytravel
is it really that risky to travel to Spain right now? I have a trip planned there in May.
Spain currently has ZERO entry restrictions for anyone arriving from Italy, China or any of the other Corona hot spots. They currently are near the levels seen in Japan however, Japan has chosen to be much more proactive.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:49 am

In the process of cancelling a personal trip BUF-JFK-ICN-SIN in April - not so much due to fears of personal infection but due to more practical reasons related to travelling with a couple of elderly individuals in their 70's through South Korea right now, and working at a school and not wanting to be the person to cause an outbreak locally after unknowingly bringing the virus back. Agree with transportprof that SIN is the best place to be if you require medical care right now, it is the process of getting there and back as well as any post-trip fallout that concerned me.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
We were in Tokyo and Sapporo first two weeks of February. Used masks everyplace except for restaurants. We were outdoors most of the time, with gloves on, and indoors, we made an effort to use napkins, etc to touch things that were touched by others. Liberal use of hand sanitizers.

It definitely was not a relaxing vacation, but we are three-weeks back and feeling fine. At the time we returned, felt no need to self-quarantine. However, with the recent outbreak in Hokkaido, we most likely would have done so if our return was today rather than three weeks ago.

Have cancelled one trip to Las Vegas in April--just don't want practice social distancing on a plane. Next scheduled trip is in December, and will see what happens.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by transportprof
I'm in Southeast Asia now, and have already transited SIN once, and will be returning there for a three day stop-over on the way home to Vancouver. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but there isn't any place in the world that I would rather be quarantined (or even hospitalized) for Covid19 than Singapore. Note they've had over 100 cases of the virus already and not one fatality yet. Their medical care is in a class by itself, so if I had to have any kind of medical attention, I have a lot of faith that I'd get great care in Singapore.
How expensive is that care too?
travelina, aztimm and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
How expensive is that care too?
Singapore resident here. Couple of years ago my wife was taken by ambulance to Singapore General Hospital (the biggest government hospital) and warded there for three days. Bill came about $4300 SGD for these three days - no surgery, only hospital stay and tests. In private hospitals one day charges are from $1200 to $20000 depending on ward/suite.

Please note - she was not admitted into hospital until she produced credit card to put charges. This is a standard and required procedure for all private/public hospital admittance for non citizens/PRs. In our case work provided insurance paid 95% of charges and we paid remaining 5%.

Last year she had a procedure done on veins on her legs at Mount Elizabeth private hospital. It was 3h procedure and bill was $22000 SGD. Work provided insurance paid 90% and our copay was 10%.

Now I do not know what is the situation with COVID19 because it is an emergency situation and all patients are treated at National Institute of Infectious Diseases. I do know that local citizens and Permanent Residents are treated for free, but no idea about travellers.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 6, 2020 at 9:28 pm
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by transportprof
I'm in Southeast Asia now, and have already transited SIN once, and will be returning there for a three day stop-over on the way home to Vancouver. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but there isn't any place in the world that I would rather be quarantined (or even hospitalized) for Covid19 than Singapore. Note they've had over 100 cases of the virus already and not one fatality yet. Their medical care is in a class by itself, so if I had to have any kind of medical attention, I have a lot of faith that I'd get great care in Singapore.
Someone who's been active on FT had eye surgery in Singapore five or ten years ago. He was pleased with the treatment and quality of the medical care, but I was somewhat horrified that the hospital refused to care for him until he furnished proof of payment even though delaying the surgery could have resulted in loss of his eyesight.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
hospital refused to care for him until he furnished proof of payment even though delaying the surgery could have resulted in loss of his eyesight.
See my previous message. Yes, this is rule here.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Someone who's been active on FT had eye surgery in Singapore five or ten years ago. He was pleased with the treatment and quality of the medical care, but I was somewhat horrified that the hospital refused to care for him until he furnished proof of payment even though delaying the surgery could have resulted in loss of his eyesight.
Mrs. Transportprof once spent 4 nights in Mount Elizabeth Hospital Novena branch, which is where I think that Mugabe died. She was admitted there 8 years ago, and the total bill came to $8,000 SGD. The private room she was assigned was nicer than the hotel we were staying in, and the care she received was outstanding and led to a complete and total recovery. Yes, they took a swipe of my Visa card at admission, but I am pretty sure that they did not pre-authorize $8,000 on it. And if there would have been a need to settle the bill with other financial resources, I am sure that it would have been possible.

Our travel health insurance covered the costs at 100%, and Mount Elizabeth's billing was so impeccably accurate and complete that the amount was reimbursed before the VISA bill came due!
747FC and bobbytables like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelina
Spain currently has ZERO entry restrictions for anyone arriving from Italy, China or any of the other Corona hot spots. They currently are near the levels seen in Japan however, Japan has chosen to be much more proactive.
Yep, a pro-active decision to not look for or test for cases is very effective. Also means you can support all the decisions you make based on the data you select which support those decisions.
Until now, most of the figures in Spain come from known routes of infection. This will no doubt change shortly, but this is NOT what is happening in Japan. As of yesterday 93% of Spanish cases are from (or directly linked) to people abroad/visitors from abroad or people linked directly to them. The Japanese have no idea where the path in a lot of their cases originated from, suggesting more community transmission than has been recorded.

I am trying my best to keep a running summary to help other potential visitors to Spain understand the risks and make informed decisions. You can find that running summary here (I’ll be kicking off today’s soon, news has just come in about a women’s prison/kindergarten in Aranjuez)
Covid-19 Spain

Last edited by LapLap; Mar 7, 2020 at 3:06 am Reason: Rates to routes
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:59 am

HK (many times), Vietnam, Singapore (many times), Taiwan, Japan, Australia, UK, Italy (before it blew up).

Not so much as a sniffle. Get a few weird looks in Singapore with no mask though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.