Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 1/2 box of N95 from SARS. I will use them if things are bad - something is better than nothing. A lot of people use the "not perfect so no" reason to justify why they are not doing something. At this point, anything that helps should be used.

In Taiwan, they banned export of masks on I think on 1/27 (they entered into an emergency for COVID-19 on 1/21 or 1/23). The government said no need to wear masks unless you are sick, vulnerable or in a hospital. However, there was a run on masks right away. A lot of people in Taiwan wear masks anyway. Apparently a lot of scooter riders have boxes of them at home.

There was a debate on whether masks should be worn and people knew the reason why the government said what it said - there was not enough. I was in the Taipei Metro in late January. The normal 30% went quickly to 80+%. So, people were wearing them anyway - even outdoors in XiMenDing. When I came back on UA 872 end of January, I was one of the few passengers who did not wear a mask - even some FAs in Y wore them.

The Taiwan government commandeered all the masks that were produced and worked with manufacturers to increase production. They added 60 production lines in the weeks following. The military was helping with packaging.

Then they modified the health care system (they have national health care) so people can use their card to buy masks at pharmacies. The Postal Service was the distributor for them. It started with 2 every 5 days - there were long lines initially. It went up gradually. Starting 4/9, each person can buy 9 every 14 days and people can mail them to their family overseas.

There were apps developed to see which pharmacy has them. Then they started doing Internet ordering for pickup at convenience stores (which are all over Taiwan).

Things are still "normal" there - schools were closed in early February for 2 additional weeks (after the Chinese New Year winter break) but re-opened, stores are open and there is no "Shelter in Place". However, businesses are hurting because people choose to stay home. Airport volume is down 90+%. So, this also tells us that until we get this thing fixed, you can't get the economy going.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: Enrich
Well, this is what Czech government said, "wear the mask to protect yourself and other"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNo...ature=youtu.be
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Austria is introducing compulsory mask-wearing in grocery stores starting tomorrow.
Apparently, [simple] masks will be available and distributed to customers at grocery store entrances (to be paid for by the consumer).

Many sites are reporting the same story; here's one in German:
https://ostbelgiendirekt.be/mundschu...nkaufen-244301
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:04 am

Face Mask Alternative

I was going through various fabric articles that would make an acceptable mask, and came across one such article that many travelers already have.
Tried it while grocery shopping, and and found it very comfortable.
Spoiler

Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Head of State....when mask supply ramps up here..hope to see POTUS wear one.
https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5...oronavirus.jpg
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:34 am

New Yorker publishes inapt political cartoons and little of use on mask wearing.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:08 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by dici
Well, this is what Czech government said, "wear the mask to protect yourself and other"

That's a great PSA...make your own. Here it's claimed anything less than medical grade N95 made in USA is useless...and only trained medical professionals know proper fitment. We will see when the final numbers come out what the consequences were from misinformation.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:20 am

That's proof positive that only trained medical personnel have knowledge to wear a mask properly. All lay people should refrain from use do to lack of proper training.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:44 am

That's a great PSA...make your own. Here it's claimed anything less than medical grade N95 made in USA is useless...and only trained medical professionals know proper fitment. We will see when the final numbers come out what the consequences were from misinformation.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Hey word of advice... be careful who you tell something like “yah just the other day I felt like I had this or could have” —and this is why it is so important to really be sure of the state of your health right now.

People get hyped up, the talk, they change it, they almost thrive on it.

A guy I know who works solo in a wood shop a lot like I do where there are a few other companies with a few people in them mentioned feeling something the other day but it passed as just allergies. Well he went into his office and the few other people there (at distance) started glaring at him, not making him feel welcome, telling him to stay home. And acting almost hostile towards his showing up.

That is until he assured them it was just allergies. His daughter has asthma so he already had to remind his own friends of that.

People will turn on you so fast. Long term relationships will get altered.

As said to others before, this video is very helpful to have watched by everyone now:

I found minute 8-19 to be of particular importance for everyone to understand! If you do not take the time to watch this you will be sadly uninformed and a harm to others.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Hey word of advice... be careful who you tell something like “yah just the other day I felt like I had this or could have” —and this is why it is so important to really be sure of the state of your health right now.

People get hyped up, the talk, they change it, they almost thrive on it.

A guy I know who works solo in a wood shop a lot like I do where there are a few other companies with a few people in them mentioned feeling something the other day but it passed as just allergies. Well he went into his office and the few other people there (at distance) started glaring at him, not making him feel welcome, telling him to stay home. And acting almost hostile towards his showing up.

That is until he assured them it was just allergies. His daughter has asthma so he already had to remind his own friends of that.

People will turn on you so fast. Long term relationships will get altered.

As said to others before, this video is very helpful to have watched by everyone now:

https://vimeo.com/399733860

I found minute 8-19 to be of particular importance for everyone to understand! If you do not take the time to watch this you will be sadly uninformed and a harm to others.

This is a front line guy in NYC. Info is a week+ old and agree minutes 8 to 12 or even 15 are worth it. if you are too busy to watch this, he later describes patients are actually getting admitted and what happens to most of them in the hospital. I think its also available on youtube.
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The debate continues regarding if 6 feet distance is enough...I think we should personally add more feet to be safer. Like at least 15-18 feet (5-6 meters) for talking to seemingly health individuals without a mask. And in the event of someone unexpectedly coughs or sneezes you turn your face around immediately and walk away...These are very minimal precautions, if you even have to be out at all or talk to people in person....

"Is 6 feet enough for social distancing? An MIT researcher says droplets carrying coronavirus can travel up to 27 feet."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...?ocid=primedhp

The CDC is considering recommending DIY cloth masks for the general public.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=primedhp

Last edited by nk15; Mar 31, 2020 at 8:58 am
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-157476

Finally getting some movement towards what's been advocated her and elsewhere for some time. And matches the CDC and FDA recommendations from over ten years ago for influenza pandemic response.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by rustykettel
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-157476

Finally getting some movement towards what's been advocated her and elsewhere for some time. And matches the CDC and FDA recommendations from over ten years ago for influenza pandemic response.
Good. And about time!
Hard to believe they are dragging their feet on this for nearly three months.
They could have used that time to familiarize people to wearing masks, and give instructions on how to make (DIY) makeshift masks.

"Because if, in fact, a person who may or may not be infected wants to prevent infecting someone else, one of the best ways to do that is with a mask. So perhaps that’s the way to go..."

Ya think??
Better late than never, I guess.
rustykettel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.