Award Refund?

Old Feb 23, 20, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Award Refund?

I bought an economy saver 20,000 + $200 award and now I'm gonna need to cancel, or at the very least change the dates.

Both options in the manage my booking aren't clickable. Now I'm starting to worry...I can't say that I participate in a TON of award programs, but in the 6-7 that I do, I've never known any of them to offer award flights that aren't refundable at least for a fee. I mean, if I have to pay $100-125 to get back my $200 and my 20,000 then that's fine. It's not great, but I get it. Does Copa actually offer awards that cannot be refunded?

I will call them eventually, but I just don't really have time in the next couple days and I'm looking to see if I'm totally barking up the wrong tree here.

FWIW it's X class, standard star alliance economy code, "economy saver" as termed by their site where it was booked.
Old Feb 23, 20, 4:18 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Once you get time, call them. It will be sorted then. Depending on your CM status, as well as how far out the flight is, there maybe a charge for the cancellation
Old Feb 25, 20, 7:34 am

no problem getting a refund BUT you have to do it by telephone during panama working hours, mon to fri. cannot be done online. fee will be charged

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
I bought an economy saver 20,000 + $200 award and now I'm gonna need to cancel, or at the very least change the dates.

Both options in the manage my booking aren't clickable. Now I'm starting to worry...I can't say that I participate in a TON of award programs, but in the 6-7 that I do, I've never known any of them to offer award flights that aren't refundable at least for a fee. I mean, if I have to pay $100-125 to get back my $200 and my 20,000 then that's fine. It's not great, but I get it. Does Copa actually offer awards that cannot be refunded?

I will call them eventually, but I just don't really have time in the next couple days and I'm looking to see if I'm totally barking up the wrong tree here.

FWIW it's X class, standard star alliance economy code, "economy saver" as termed by their site where it was booked.
Old Feb 25, 20, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by isveres View Post
no problem getting a refund BUT you have to do it by telephone during panama working hours, mon to fri. cannot be done online. fee will be charged
Not ideal, but better than nothing.
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
COPA discontinues operations

Unfortunately Copa is discontinuing operations for one month starting this Sunday. I have an One way award ticket that I used 25,000 miles plus paid about $100 in taxes. The email they sent with the cancellation notice stated that I can use the value towards another flight through December 2021. Since this is an award ticket and the cancellation has nothing to do with my part shouldn’t the miles go back to the account without any penalty and the taxes returned. I had sent Copa a DM via Twitter Three days ago with no reply as well. Any thoughts and how I should handle this?
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, CM nada
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Any thoughts and how I should handle this?
Well, good luck with this. Sure, you should get everything back free, theoretically. But Copa is closed, Panama is closed, all companies in the country are officially shutdown, there's a curfew at night. I don't think CM agents can even get to the call center. I'd say make all the screenshots and records you can and plead for a refund a month after CM starts up again. And even then, you're still up against long odds give CM's customer service.

I also had a reward flight that I cancelled a couple of days ago, it cost me $50 + tax to get my miles and fees refunded. I chalked it up to the times.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: