Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:44 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I would have resolved this very quickly.

After 3 hours I would have dialled 911 and reproted that I was being held against my will and that I wanted to file kidnapping charges against the pilot.
I guarantee that this would quickly have resolved the situation.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by soitgoes
What a whiny letter!
Big time, it sounds like it was written by a 6th grader telling us why it will be hhhaaarrrrddddd.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The only airlines that fliy no RJ's are WN and some of the minor carriers such as Frontier, Virgin America, USA300, etc.
WN might soon own Lynx. We should find out by Tuesday.

WN has also signaled that they will consider keeping Lynx rather than disposing of it.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
WN might soon own Lynx. We should find out by Tuesday.

WN has also signaled that they will consider keeping Lynx rather than disposing of it.
Yes, Tuesday could be a huge landmark for WN. For the first time they could be outright owners of a fleet composed of something other than 737's...
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:28 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Yes, Tuesday could be a huge landmark for WN. For the first time they could be outright owners of a fleet composed of something other than 737's...
OT, but the thread is dying anyway. Did they not acquire ATA outright, to get the gates at MDW? ATA had even some 727's, and some DC10's, IIRC.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:08 pm

Wink

That is precisely what happened (as descibred in the newspaper story in the OP).

In fact, when the terminal re-opened in the morning, the passengers were allowed out of the plane for a few hours.
The newspaper stated that there was no TSA presence.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
I don't believe it's necessary to have TSA screening staff at an airport for arrivals.
I would have to agree with you, the XJ spokesman sounds like she was talking w/o knowledge of the situation an trying to make it sound like a security threat rather than a screwup on their part. Don't divert your planes to a station where you can't get them serviced.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Whatagoodboy
The (female) pilot should be fired immediately for unprofessional behaviour. To order that the pax be confined to a certain gate area before she went home is the icing on the bad cake.
Reading all your posts in this thread gave me a good laugh. Either you are a pathetic MCP or you just like stirring things up by making offensive statements and enjoying the responses. I'd like to believe its the latter as I find it hard to imagine someone would be really as stupid to make such comments.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:21 pm

Interesting to read this account. The NW pax were on the plane ~ 3 hours until someone was able to rouse their ground crew. I'm surprised that NW ground ops screwed this up as well because they had to have known this was coming. It was a 320 and on a special flight number....

Normally the last flight arrives RST at around 10pm. Shocking that it took NW that long but even more shocking that they just left the CO plane on the tarmac!! all around.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NWA120A

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
The comments in the article are a good read, including one from a PAX from the flight.

Originally Posted by Passenger on flight 2816
I was a passenger on flight 2816. I now know hell. Being stuck on that plane for 9.5 hours, 7 hours on the ground, was no picnic. The captain was not communicating with us at all, and what she did tell us seemed like stalling. A couple of things that have not made the stories that baffle me; 1. Another Northwest plane had also landed at Rochester just before us, they were allowed to exit their plane with there luggage and enter the airport at 3 AM!!! We sat till 6:30 AM being fed lines about the airport is not open and we cannot go in. 2. There was a bus waiting on the other side of the terminal from us at 5 AM. This was verified by Rochester tower employees (ATC). I asked the pilot if there was a bus and she picked up the intercom and announced to the plane "There is no bus". 3. Once we were ALLOWED into the airport we were quarantined to one space at a gate and not allowed to move freely around the airport. I asked the security guard in charge of us why that was, we all were told to have our IDs and boarding passes with us and the airport was fully operational at this time. He told me he had no idea, it was what the flight crew had told him to do. Right before they went home because they had no flying hours left. I think the other bases have been pretty well covered but these have been over looked and I think we deserve some answers. Who do we get them from?

[Appended -- saw that while searching for the quote, the thread had progressed to this topic] -- is the pilot's inaction caused by youth, inexperience, and lack of authority -- is this one of those overworked, underpaid regional pilots? Given the lack of a snowstorm or lightening threatening the physical safety of PAX when deplaning, would a mainline pilot with a military history (regardless of gender!) and 20+ years of commercial flight experience under his/her belt have insisted that his/her PAX be allowed to deplane?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by Whatagoodboy
Do women really belong in a cockpit? Slowly I get the impression that they should serve as cart pushers only.
Originally Posted by unicon
Reading all your posts in this thread gave me a good laugh. Either you are a pathetic MCP or you just like stirring things up by making offensive statements and enjoying the responses. I'd like to believe its the latter as I find it hard to imagine someone would be really as stupid to make such comments.
I have to agree with unicon. Sometimes this board can be such a great example of the best in people, with total strangers sharing information and helping one another out. And on the other extreme are the recent posts from this whatagoodboy person.

Happily, I find the former outweighs the latter (in life and on Flyertalk).

Last edited by twoaisleplane; Aug 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA
Agreed, in most of these cases, the a/c have stayed on the tarmac with the expectation of getting a take-off clearance, the window for which is often very narrow.

In this case, though, it seems that the intention was to remain in RST overnight.

Obviously, we have no way of knowing exactly what factors determined that passengers were not let out, and could have been a combination of factors, including the fact the CO/XJ do not have regular operations there, the fact that the airport closes overnight and was unwilling to stay open for the night, and, of course, the fact that XJ was simply too cheap to do the right thing, namely pay for the necessary facilities to take care of its customers for the night.
This is another one of the puzzling aspects of the debacle. Especially if you know that you are going to end up in all likelihood overnighting somewhere, why not divert to somewhere like OMA or DSM where XJ has regular ops and ground servicing contracts?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:27 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I don't think that ExpressJet employs many experienced captains of any gender.
It would be nice if every commercial aircraft could be flown by pilots with 5,000 hours of multi-engine jet experience. Unfortunately, that just is not realistic, so in reality what happens is less experienced pilots fly smaller planes, as they gain experience, they typically move up to larger planes. Out of curiosity, do you have an idea for a better system? Do you think the least experienced pilots should start out on 777's?

WN has operated other aircraft besides 737's during their history.

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Interesting to read this account. The NW pax were on the plane ~ 3 hours until someone was able to rouse their ground crew. I'm surprised that NW ground ops screwed this up as well because they had to have known this was coming. It was a 320 and on a special flight number....

Normally the last flight arrives RST at around 10pm. Shocking that it took NW that long but even more shocking that they just left the CO plane on the tarmac!! all around.
There's a big difference between an A320 and an ERJ, an ERJ can pop open its door and unload anywhere, an A320 does not have the same ability, needing either a jetway or airstairs. As I said earlier in this thread, in hindsight the obvious solution for CO/ExpressJet would have been to just have Signature Flight Services handle the flight, which according to their website is open 24/7.

Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
This is another one of the puzzling aspects of the debacle. Especially if you know that you are going to end up in all likelihood overnighting somewhere, why not divert to somewhere like OMA or DSM where XJ has regular ops and ground servicing contracts?
CO is responsible for all ground operations, I just found this in XJ's annual report:

Originally Posted by ExpressJet Annual Report
We are currently in the process of transitioning the station management of all stations under the Continental CPA to Continental. It is anticipated that this transition will be complete by March 31, 2009.

Additionally, during 2008, Continental began transitioning our ground handling services at all of their airport locations to an all Continental managed program, with us providing specific ground handling services at a majority of these stations under an industry-standard ground handling agreement at fixed rates, outside of the Continental CPA.
The way I read that is quite simply that CO does manage all ground operations, though they do subcontract that to XJ in some cases, it is pretty clear CO is "managing" it, as is repeatedly mentioned in those quotes. That would imply to me that if an XJ plane is diverted, since CO "manages" all ground operations, they should be managing the ground operations at the airport that was diverted to.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:24 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Legally, it very well may be their fault due to settled principles of vicarious liability.

Practically and morally, it may be their fault as well due to bad judgment in selecting the subcontractor, bad judgment in defining and specifying the roles and responsibilities of the subcontractor, and/or bad judgment in supervising the activities of the subcontractor.

channa is right: CO can insist that ExpressJet follow specific practices and procedures including its own as a condition of their agreement including specific practices and procedures for the treatment of passengers following diversions.
And, any company who's ever had a competent risk manager or corporate counsel would have this. So, I think it's safe to assume CO had this in place - the next issue will be how and to what extent CO monitors COEX for compliance with the contract and what action is taken when repeated non-compliance is observed. And surely, CO had hold harmless and liability agreements in place with COEX to deal with these types of incidents when there is a clear violation of contract.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Interesting thread over at ExpressJetPilots.com.

Of note:

Originally Posted by Craplpants
As the FO on the flight that landed in Dover ON the air force base with almost the same conditions - except we had people on the plane for 12 hours. I can honestly tell you that the people running this company are idiots when it comes to these situations. They can make excuses till they are blue in the face about why the people were kept on the plane but in the end they had absolutely no right to keep them there. I dont give a **** about captains authority or security and any of that other BS. If I was on a flight that did that I would turn into the biggest **** you've ever seen. You wanna call the cops? Go for it, arrest me and get me off this P>O>S> airplane.

I blame the captain mainly, for being a robot and sitting there in that seat for 9 hours unable to grow a pair and make a decision to remove the pax from the plane. How many times do you think he/she talked to dispatch? ****....Its your job to look out for the health and safety of the pax. Not wait for someone whos sitting 1000 miles away in a comfortable office chair (probably not even the same shift as when the incident started) to make a decision. I hope these people find a way to sue the **** out of this company. This is exactly the type of **** that makes this look like an amatuer operation to the public. Unacceptable.
Also:

Originally Posted by Apache 5
<SNIP> Worked the "recovery flight"- RST-MSP, not a happy group of people (obviously) and a lav that Signature, NWA, Eagle all refused to service..
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
All of the major channels now weighing in!

Well-looks like all of the major outlets are showcasing this!

GMAmerica had it as a teaser for 3-4 commericial breaks.

Early Show had Harry interviewing Greenburg on FF tickets and reduced prices, and guess what the interview turned into? Yep...CO and trapping pax for hours and hours!

^ to the national news media for highlighting what should push a pax bill of rights into the limelight again!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.