Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Thumbs down 47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Is this what we @ MSP can expect from CO now that our local service has been downgraded to mostly Barbie-class aircraft?

Originally Posted by Star Tribune
Instead, he was among 47 passengers who spent the night trapped inside a small airplane, parked at the Rochester airport, complete with crying babies and the aroma of over-used toilets.

The ExpressJet Airlines that operated the plane says the flight was diverted to Rochester because of Twin Cities thunderstorms, and that airline regulations prevented passengers from getting off the plane.

Christin is incredulous that the airline couldn't figure out an option besides trapping passengers on the plane for nine hours.
Nine hours? Nine hours on a friggin' E145 where the "aisle" is a trough between the seats and many/most adult males can't even stand up in the plane?

Someone at Continental better wake & ensure that this episode is not repeated. And don't pass the buck off on the regional -- the customer's contract is with Continental.

Link: http://www.startribune.com/local/east/52798827.html

Last edited by MikeMpls; Aug 9, 2009 at 6:55 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Someone at Continental better wake & ensure that this episode is not repeated. And don't pass the buck off on the regional -- the customer's contract is with Continental.
Seems that Continental is already trying to pass the buck to the regional if you read the article!

This situation is exactly why we need a Passengers Bill of Rights.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
9 hours stuck inside a RJ? Why wasn't there a passenger revolt? I wouldn't be surprised if this results in a lawsuit.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Star Tribune
As light began to fill the cabin around 6 a.m., the plane doors opened and passengers were allowed into the airport terminal, Christin said. The airlines gave them one free beverage, he said. By about 9:30 a.m., the passengers were sent back on the same plane they had spent the night in -- which by this time had no functioning restroom. They landed in the Twin Cities about 11 a.m.

ExpressJet apologizes for the incident, Nicholas said. But passenger safety and the legal requirements of airlines were top priorities.
Wow! One measly beverage for their troubles. What a crock!

If I were on that plane, after a certain point, I'd be much more concerned with crew safety.

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Seems that Continental is already trying to pass the buck to the regional if you read the article!

This situation is exactly why we need a Passengers Bill of Rights.
I know -- that's what prompted the verbiage you quoted.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
And don't pass the buck off on the regional -- the customer's contract is with Continental.

Typical CO....we all KNOW they never do any wrong

.....paging sbm12....
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
As much as the airline is OBVIOUSLY to blame, I really personally am also having a hard time getting past the sheeple mentality of the pax. I mean seriously, would ANY of you tolerate this?

No way in heck I would be.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Typical CO....we all KNOW they never do any wrong

.....paging sbm12....
Seriously?

I'd say that in this case there are plenty of facts to show that the airline was in the wrong.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
As much as the airline is OBVIOUSLY to blame, I really personally am also having a hard time getting past the sheeple mentality of the pax. I mean seriously, would ANY of you tolerate this?

No way in heck I would be.
I'm not encouraging this the following behaviour but at some point if I were a passenger on this plane I would've been threatening to pop the emer exit. That's if for some reason I was unable to get CNN on the phone.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I'm not encouraging this the following behaviour but at some point if I were a passenger on this plane I would've been threatening to pop the emer exit. That's if for some reason I was unable to get CNN on the phone.
EXACTLY!
It's clear no one did anything about it because the media would have eaten that for lunch as it was happening. They love that kind of thing.

...and I see your threat of popping the emergency exit and raise you an evacuation slide.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
EXACTLY!
It's clear no one did anything about it because the media would have eaten that for lunch as it was happening. They love that kind of thing.

...and I see your threat of popping the emergency exit and raise you an evacuation slide.
I'm pretty much a CO homer but some things are simply unacceptable. I can deal with a throughly busy runway in EWR. I can handle with any weather delay or cancellation that's out there. But if the issue described in the opening post happened to me, I'd be taking matters into my own hands.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: UA: MM
EXACTLY!

Or, you could call the local PD and tell them you were being held against your will...

FWIW
DLM
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dmunz
Or, you could call the local PD and tell them you were being held against your will...

FWIW
DLM
I think after 4 hours into the ordeal, I'd probably call 911 and tell them I'm being held hostage and/or call the local news network.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Angry Pop The Overwing Exit

Pop an emergency exit.
At least a holding cell at the airport would be more comfy than a Jungle Jet.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Absolutely incredible that this is still happening today. A Passenger Bill of Rights is certainly needed.

Mike, if you have any updates about this in your local MSP papers and news sites, please let us know.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:48 am

What's a good medical emergency you could fake and them suddenly feel better from once at a gate? In this case the crew probably wouldn't mind this little bit of "help".

But seriously, whether CO is liable due to their relationship with the regional remains to be seen, but the fact is that CO operations downtown (SOCC) does not control Express Jet, Express Jet ops controls Express Jet. Is SOCC, in addition to controlling every CO flight in the air at any given moment, supposed to also monitor every regional flight that they have a contract with as well?

And if they did know about it, what was CO supposed to do? That would be like saying that Express system ops would have any control over a mainline CO flight. Two separate operations.

Your main gripe is with Express Jet operations center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.