Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Comment from PAX

The comments in the article are a good read, including one from a PAX from the flight.

Passenger on flight 2816
I was a passenger on flight 2816. I now know hell. Being stuck on that plane for 9.5 hours, 7 hours on the ground, was no picnic. The captain was not communicating with us at all, and what she did tell us seemed like stalling. A couple of things that have not made the stories that baffle me; 1. Another Northwest plane had also landed at Rochester just before us, they were allowed to exit their plane with there luggage and enter the airport at 3 AM!!! We sat till 6:30 AM being fed lines about the airport is not open and we cannot go in. 2. There was a bus waiting on the other side of the terminal from us at 5 AM. This was verified by Rochester tower employees (ATC). I asked the pilot if there was a bus and she picked up the intercom and announced to the plane "There is no bus". 3. Once we were ALLOWED into the airport we were quarantined to one space at a gate and not allowed to move freely around the airport. I asked the security guard in charge of us why that was, we all were told to have our IDs and boarding passes with us and the airport was fully operational at this time. He told me he had no idea, it was what the flight crew had told him to do. Right before they went home because they had no flying hours left. I think the other bases have been pretty well covered but these have been over looked and I think we deserve some answers. Who do we get them from?
[Appended -- saw that while searching for the quote, the thread had progressed to this topic] -- is the pilot's inaction caused by youth, inexperience, and lack of authority -- is this one of those overworked, underpaid regional pilots? Given the lack of a snowstorm or lightening threatening the physical safety of PAX when deplaning, would a mainline pilot with a military history (regardless of gender!) and 20+ years of commercial flight experience under his/her belt have insisted that his/her PAX be allowed to deplane?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: CO Plat, US Air Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
The comments in the article are a good read, including one from a PAX from the flight.

[Appended -- saw that while searching for the quote, the thread had progressed to this topic] -- is the pilot's inaction caused by youth, inexperience, and lack of authority -- is this one of those overworked, underpaid regional pilots? Given the lack of a snowstorm or lightening threatening the physical safety of PAX when deplaning, would a mainline pilot with a military history (regardless of gender!) and 20+ years of commercial flight experience under his/her belt have insisted that his/her PAX be allowed to deplane?
The (female) pilot should be fired immediately for unprofessional behaviour. To order that the pax be confined to a certain gate area before she went home is the icing on the bad cake.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
The quote from the passenger adds to the bizareness of this episode.

Why would the cpatain keep the passengers locked in the plane if the terminal was still operational? And why would she deny the presence of the bus? And finally, what could possibly justify segregating the passengers in one gate area so long as they were airside?

Even if the youth and inexperience of the captain contributed to this situation, there has to be more to it than just that.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
Hopefully that pilot is fired and has her record tarnished, never to fly again.... that is horrible how she reacted...
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Whatagoodboy
One more reason I will never ever fly with a CoEx or any other regional jet. Those jets are the main playground for unprofessional crews.
You do realize that approximarely 50% of all departures for the legacy carriers are on regional jets?

The only airlines that fliy no RJ's are WN and some of the minor carriers such as Frontier, Virgin America, USA300, etc.

Even B6, while technically all mainline, flies the E-190, which is essentially an RJ (although its crews are on the mainline roster).

There are many cities in the United States that have no mainline service whatsoever.

So you should be prepared for a major shift in your travel habits, and perhaps a lot of driving, or taking the bus or Amtrak.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedster1978
Hopefully that pilot is fired and has her record tarnished, never to fly again.... that is horrible how she reacted...
That is jumping to conclusions.

We don't have enough facts to make such a deliberate statement.

It's possible she fought hard for the good of her passengers, and that either the airport authority and/or XJ would not concede, perhaps because of cost issues.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
The only airlines that fliy no RJ's are WN and some of the minor carriers such as Frontier, Virgin America, USA300, etc.
Doesn't Frontier have the a Bombardier Q something in their fleet? They used to have them, flying under the Lynx nameplate, but that could have changed with their bankruptcy filing. I could be wrong, it's been a few years since I paid any attention to them.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: CO Plat, US Air Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
That is jumping to conclusions.

We don't have enough facts to make such a deliberate statement.

It's possible she fought hard for the good of her passengers, and that either the airport authority and/or XJ would not concede, perhaps because of cost issues.
The facts are plenty that she screwed up. Isnīt the timeline fact enough? The problem seems to be that she applied an unhealthy common female behaviour not to question or secondguess other "authorities" - like the aiprort manager or maybe her airline superiors. Otherwise, she would have decided to end this incredible hostage situation earlier by just applying common sense.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The (female) pilot should be fired immediately for unprofessional behaviour. To order that the pax be confined to a certain gate area before she went home is the icing on the bad cake.
Gender is irrelevant, and your post up-thread was pretty offensive.

Again, if the passengers were offloaded into the terminal and faced with a security guard telling them to remain confined, they could and should have just shoved him aside and left to make their own arrangements. People who get into problems after bowing to non-existent authority only have themselves to blame.

At that point, they should have left the airport, found hotels and then met the following morning to jointly call CO and demand resolution. I'm fairly certain a call from the group to CO the following morning would have been escalated to Ops very quickly and a suitable solution found.

We don't know if the Capt was acting on her own or under orders from XJ Operations - this entire debacle needs to be sorted out between CO and XJ, as I'm sure it already is.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Wanna bet that an experienced and "wise" male captain would make a better decision in this situation than a young, just promoted insecure female pilot?
I don't think that ExpressJet employs many experienced captains of any gender.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Doesn't Frontier have the a Bombardier Q something in their fleet? They used to have them, flying under the Lynx nameplate, but that could have changed with their bankruptcy filing. I could be wrong, it's been a few years since I paid any attention to them.
You're absolutely right. They in fact appear to still have an arrangement with Lynx, which flied from their hub in Denver to a dozen or so destinations.

And, yes, Lynx operates Q400's.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
The facts are plenty that she screwed up. Isnīt the timeline fact enough? The problem seems to be that she applied an unhealthy common female behaviour not to question or secondguess other "authorities" - like the aiprort manager or maybe her airline superiors. Otherwise, she would have decided to end this incredible hostage situation earlier by just applying common sense.
Thank you for sharing your clearly limitless expertise on this situation!

Firstly, decision making happens as a course of training and experience, both of which have the sum total of nothing to do with sex, gender, race, or any other demographic.

Secondly, to categorically lump all women everywhere into one single group and label them as stupid is a gross disservice to your brain, as clearly you've deprived it of oxygen so long that you've become a blithering moron. Please think of the gene pool and let it stop with you.

I'm sorry a woman apparently hurt you at some point in your life, but that's no reason to take it out on everyone else.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisny2
I don't think that ExpressJet employs many experienced captains of any gender.
Indeed, in fact, having an inexperienced...er cheap, workforce is the whole raison d'etre of a regional carrier.

Then again, one occasionally sees a 50-something captain working for a regional carrier. Some pilots prefer to be a big fish in a small pond. The top salary for a regional carrier captain is the $110k/year range, and there are benefits that come from seniority and flying flights that tend to be shorter than what most mainline pilots fly.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Here is the comments to DOT from ExpressJet concerning passenger protections in a March 09 filing.

Very interesting.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planeluvr
Here is the comments to DOT from ExpressJet concerning passenger protections in a March 09 filing.

Very interesting.
What a whiny letter!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.