Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Potential hole = Terrorist forcing flight officer to unlock cockpit door from outside using code (pointed out by Bonehead)
While some on this thread think they know how the locking doors operate, there's more to it than has been discussed.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by 797-3
If you were on the flight or were that captain, would you be in favor of diverting to Shannon or Keflavik even if there were no realistic chance of survival just to say that everything possible was done?

If you were on the flight?

If you were the dead/dying captain?
I have no idea what the rules and regulations are for this sort of thing, but it seems to me that if a body is offloaded in a foreign country, it could create a multitude of additional red tape to cut through to get the body returned to the U.S.

Since the captain was declared dead inflight, AND there was a relief pilot on board, it seems to me that the most logical course of action for all involved (especially the deceased's family) was to continue on to EWR.

Obviously if the captain was not declared deceased, there would have been no question to make an emergency landing at the first opportunity.

I cannot imagine anybody ever being so selfish that they would risk another human life just to get where they're going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.