Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Reduces Free Checked Luggage To 1 Bag For Non-Elites, Will CO Match?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Reduces Free Checked Luggage To 1 Bag For Non-Elites, Will CO Match?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:33 pm
Suspended

"But it doesn't really bother me. Most of my travel is for business and carry-on. "

When world + dog takes a carryon onto the plane to avoid the fee, the overheads are entirely jammed and you're connecting so you can't pre-board you will care. You'll be stuck at your destination for 30 minutes while you wait for your bag to show up.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Another shoe dropped this week. Delta is going to start charging as of May 1, which will have them as the first carrier to be charging since UA and US don't start until the 5th.

It isn't on the DL site yet, but it is being reported in a few sources and the DL forum.

Which carrier will be next??
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Another shoe dropped this week. Delta is going to start charging as of May 1, which will have them as the first carrier to be charging since UA and US don't start until the 5th.

It isn't on the DL site yet, but it is being reported in a few sources and the DL forum.

Which carrier will be next??
NW, and then its a toss up between AA and CO.

The last carrier may just leave it as 2 bags as a differentiation point.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
So DL will continue to offer 3 bags for their own elites and Skyteam Elite Plus, but just 1 bag for everyone else.

Incredibly it will start 05/01 regardless of when you bought your ticket or if you are in the middle of a trip!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
So DL will continue to offer 3 bags for their own elites and Skyteam Elite Plus, but just 1 bag for everyone else.

Incredibly it will start 05/01 regardless of when you bought your ticket or if you are in the middle of a trip!
I have a suspicion there will be a quiet directive to the TAs to waive the fee for the first 2 weeks in May for people who are on return tickets. At least, that's the rational thing to do.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ctownflyer

Where do you get the idea that ST E+ will be allowed a second bag? Everything I have read on the DL board (except one confused and quickly corrected post) suggests that the exemption will be SkyMiles elite and BizE pax only.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Originally Posted by pptp
10 day Europe trip, ONE roller backpack, no checked bags (had laundry facilities).

It can be done.
Absolutely can be done. Just did that. It is the only way to go. I see so many people dragging a U-Haul trailer through the airport and wonder, why? Do they really need THAT much stuff?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

NW has just crossed over to the dark side and will only allow 1 checked bag starting with travel on 05/05 for tickets booked 03/29 or later.

In addition bags over 50 pounds will now set you back $50!

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...e=domesticNews

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html

The good news: Skyteam elites are still allowed 2 bags.

With AA rumored to be next, it's all down to CO...

Last edited by ctownflyer; Mar 28, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.