Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Reduces Free Checked Luggage To 1 Bag For Non-Elites, Will CO Match?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Reduces Free Checked Luggage To 1 Bag For Non-Elites, Will CO Match?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by sciflyer
Crazy. Is there a game show like "What will they think of next?" that UA execs could appear on. Maybe they'd win enough to save the airline.
Priceless.

The sad thing is that there's not a whisper of a suggestion from UA that the funds raised will be directed to improve baggage-handling, reduce lost bags, or be used in any productive way.

It's more like "UA's CEO needs to know where his 180m bonus is coming from this year, here's the first slug on the customers"

If and when CO introduces excess-bag fees I'm sure there will be a better explanation
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by climmy
I think it's great. If you can't get your belongings into 1 checked plus a carry-on, you're taking TOO MUCH. If you really need a pile of things, you're going to pay for the priviledge. $25 is a lot less than sending goods UPS air or FEDEX.
I assume you've never gone skiing?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by climmy
I think it's great. If you can't get your belongings into 1 checked plus a carry-on, you're taking TOO MUCH. If you really need a pile of things, you're going to pay for the priviledge. $25 is a lot less than sending goods UPS air or FEDEX.

I think other carriers will eventually follow. Carrying around an extra couple of tons of needless baggage costs a lot of money.
My prediction is that most of them won't pay the $25, but they won't leave it at home either. They'll just try and haul more crap on the plane as carry-on luggage.

This policy stinks, and I hope no other airline adopts it. Rather than focus on returning to profitability by providing consistent, excellent service that makes people want to fly UA, they seem focused on treating passengers like they are a major inconvenience to deal with. This is a very Ryan Air-esque policy, yet, UA tries to market themselves as a full-service, high-quality, classy airline (whether they really are or not is debatable). I'm sorry, but you can't be both. UA can't live up to the premium image it tries to market while instituting draconian policies that nickle and dime customers, and drive them away to the competition.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by ssullivan
This is a very Ryan Air-esque policy, yet, UA tries to market themselves as a full-service, high-quality, classy airline (whether they really are or not is debatable). I'm sorry, but you can't be both. UA can't live up to the premium image it tries to market while instituting draconian policies that nickle and dime customers, and drive them away to the competition.
I think it's pretty tough for any airline that does stuff like charge $2 for each bag checked at the curb to market itself as classy or premium....stuff like this fits the bill of 'nickel and diming'....and isn't CO just about the only one of the legacies that hasn't yet instituted this charge for curbside?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Rather than focus on returning to profitability by providing consistent, excellent service that makes people want to fly UA, they seem focused on treating passengers like they are a major inconvenience to deal with.
Exactly. That's why I put the link to their January traffic. All they seem to care are short term profitability and to merge with someone. Is there a major airline in the world so willing to give up marketshare that the strategy is to not take any new aircrafts and not order any new ones for the next many years.

I think any employee would like to see their company growing, not shrinking. How can you get good morale when they feel like they're on a shrinking ship?

And I thought cutting out excess capacity or routes should be done during bankruptcy, not 2 years after getting out of it. DL came out of Ch11 stronger and expanding. UA is still cutting...
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:58 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
This policy stinks, and I hope no other airline adopts it. Rather than focus on returning to profitability by providing consistent, excellent service that makes people want to fly UA, they seem focused on treating passengers like they are a major inconvenience to deal with. This is a very Ryan Air-esque policy, yet, UA tries to market themselves as a full-service, high-quality, classy airline (whether they really are or not is debatable). I'm sorry, but you can't be both. UA can't live up to the premium image it tries to market while instituting draconian policies that nickle and dime customers, and drive them away to the competition.
Don't say that too loudly!

Someone from the UA board might read it and come to realize the horrible truth about the airline.

One of the main tenants propping up the UA board is a very UA-centric viewpoint on the industry with UA being the absolute zenith of success (think the CO forum's attitude towards CO...but without the justification)...and UA diehards become flustered when this illusion is attacked.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Sure, plenty of times. Golf too.

I just wouldn't worry about paying $50 to get my skis/clubs there either. Paid $200 for my club carrier. $150 for my fancy ski bag.

Let's face it, this is a USER FEE. If you use it, you'll pay for it. The great American way. It costs the airlines money to manage/load/transport baggage. If they're losing money (or close thereto), they have to recoup the costs somehow.

I personally would rather see a fee apply to only the people using it rather than subsidize the guys baggage beside me if the airline needed to raise overall pricing to cover for a loss.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
This is a very Ryan Air-esque policy, yet, UA tries to market themselves as a full-service, high-quality, classy airline (whether they really are or not is debatable). I'm sorry, but you can't be both. UA can't live up to the premium image it tries to market while instituting draconian policies that nickle and dime customers, and drive them away to the competition.
Why not? Plenty of "premium" foreign airlines have similar or worse policies. SQ gives you 20 kg, except to the US. I think you only get 30 kg, even in J. Ditto LH. Plenty of premium carriers give partial FF credit for coach.

Heck, consider how much CO's 50% EQM policy costs the average status-chasing flier. I bet it is a lot more than the occassional $25 charge for those times when you have to check two bags. I mean, it is all well and good to criticize UA for being petty and being anti-consumer, but let us at least be somewhat balanced. I just don't see how one anti-consumer policy somehow elevates UA to an out-of-touch, poorly-run sinking ship, yet the various stupid little things CO does become, definitionally, great management in the eyes of much of this board. Of course, UA may be a sinking ship, but I hardly think this rises to be any sort of proof of that.

I'm not saying that I like this policy, but:

1) I think it will become the norm among airlines. The last contraction saw weight limits drop. I think that the next one will see the elimination of one bag.

2) All this talk of how difficult it is to market oneself as a "premium carrier" is, I feel, a bunch of hooey. There is absolutely nothing premium about domestic Y. On any carrier. And frankly, I think most folks like it that way. For those fares and classes that actually attract a "premium traveller", nothing has changed.

Originally Posted by sciflyer
As another poster said, I'll be a lot of ma and pa kettles pay this fee once, and that will be the last time they fly UA. Airlines have to fill the front, AND the back, to make money these days.
But, when will those folks fly again? And is there any reason to believe that such folks will really follow through? Or that they won't be offset by gains from other people who swore off CO because of a bad EWR connection or AA because they didn't get a meal, or US or...?

Last edited by pbarnette; Feb 5, 2008 at 1:10 am
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:44 am

I don't know how much it costs to transport a pound one mile on a plane, but I bet UA does and with cost of fuel not looking to ever drop significantly again charging $25 to move a 40 lb bag for someone who purchased a low fare ticket seems reasonable.

Basically, they are saying you get a lower level of service with a low fare.

My guess is this not a way on increasing reveuneu as much as its is of saving $'s through lower luggage weight on planes and therefore less fuel.

I would expect all airlines will impose similar weight restrictions in the near future. Maybe people will fianlly learn how to pack.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat,Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by otralot

My guess is this not a way on increasing reveuneu as much as its is of saving $'s through lower luggage weight on planes and therefore less fuel.

I would expect all airlines will impose similar weight restrictions in the near future. Maybe people will fianlly learn how to pack.
You hit the nail right on the head. Its all about the weight restriction.
I have noticed in the last year most of the oversales are because of a weight restriction and not by the overbooking. Less luggage also allows the airline to tanker fuel which saves the airline money.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by otralot

OK, but if that person says "I'm not going to pay $25, I'll just carry on my second bag," there's no real weight savings, nor the increased revenue. I see a lot of passengers doing this. A 20 pound bag weighs the same, and uses the same fuel, whether it's checked to the cargo hold or sitting in an overhead bin on the plane. And what happens when enough people say this that the overhead bins fill up, and UA has to spend time checking bags at the gate during boarding, possibly holding up an on-time departure? Do those people get charged the $25 at the gate? If not, UA is handling the bag, possibly delaying departure by a few moments to do so, and they are not collecting the $25 service fee. If they do charge for gate checks, what happens if the passenger refuses to pay it, since the bag was considered a "carry on"?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Or mountaineering. Or scuba diving.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:39 am

OK, but if that person says "I'm not going to pay $25, I'll just carry on my second bag," there's no real weight savings, nor the increased revenue. I see a lot of passengers doing this. A 20 pound bag weighs the same, and uses the same fuel, whether it's checked to the cargo hold or sitting in an overhead bin on the plane. And what happens when enough people say this that the overhead bins fill up, and UA has to spend time checking bags at the gate during boarding, possibly holding up an on-time departure? Do those people get charged the $25 at the gate? If not, UA is handling the bag, possibly delaying departure by a few moments to do so, and they are not collecting the $25 service fee. If they do charge for gate checks, what happens if the passenger refuses to pay it, since the bag was considered a "carry on"?

Good point. Of course this needs to be married with good control of carry ons, which should be implemented regardless. The disrefard passengers and the airlines pay to what people try to carry on is outrageous ( cleary many threads these boards on that topic). Espeically given how many opportunities during there are to weed out larger bags, Security, gate, check in, etc.

Another way to look at is that people are already skewing toward carry on over checked ( don't we all..?) so by imposing the policy UA is actually getting people to the avearge of tow bags overall.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by J.Edward
One of the main tenants propping up the UA board is a very UA-centric viewpoint on the industry with UA being the absolute zenith of success (think the CO forum's attitude towards CO...but without the justification)...and UA diehards become flustered when this illusion is attacked.
Which I will never understand. It's always fun to meet up with a UA centric person and mention they are my secondary carrier and that CO is my primary. It's always a great discussion starter.

But, then again, those very same people who accept UA for what it is are also the same folks supporting it and keeping it alive.

It amazes me that at any given day there are anywhere from two to four 777s or 747s sitting at the Superbay in SFO. And they always seem to have a spare or two at LAX as well. Now, if only CO had that problem...

To the points, UA does have a good international route structure and great hubs. Their domestic structure is a bit lacking. Lately i've been noticing more asymmetric routing (three flights SFO-PHL but only two PHL-SFO, same for SFO-EWR).
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by harryhv
Priceless.

The sad thing is that there's not a whisper of a suggestion from UA that the funds raised will be directed to improve baggage-handling, reduce lost bags, or be used in any productive way.

It's more like "UA's CEO needs to know where his 180m bonus is coming from this year, here's the first slug on the customers"

If and when CO introduces excess-bag fees I'm sure there will be a better explanation
What about the massive YOY increase on jet fuel cost as a reason?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.