Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Reduces Free Checked Luggage To 1 Bag For Non-Elites, Will CO Match?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Reduces Free Checked Luggage To 1 Bag For Non-Elites, Will CO Match?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by fozz
Which.

But, then again, those very same people who accept UA for what it is are also the same folks supporting it and keeping it alive.

Isn't that what FF programs are designed to do...Create loyalty?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I assume you've never gone skiing?
Four day ski trip, rented gear (only way to do it), no checked bags.
10 day Europe trip, ONE roller backpack, no checked bags (had laundry facilities).

It can be done.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: CO - Gold, Presidents Club, Priority Club - Gold
Originally Posted by climmy
Sure, plenty of times. Golf too.

I just wouldn't worry about paying $50 to get my skis/clubs there either. Paid $200 for my club carrier. $150 for my fancy ski bag.

Let's face it, this is a USER FEE. If you use it, you'll pay for it. The great American way. It costs the airlines money to manage/load/transport baggage. If they're losing money (or close thereto), they have to recoup the costs somehow.

I personally would rather see a fee apply to only the people using it rather than subsidize the guys baggage beside me if the airline needed to raise overall pricing to cover for a loss.

I typically only fly with 1 checked bag unless i'm skiing, or checking in 24 bottles of wine from Cali. Would it be worth the $25 to carry that extra bag, sure. It's alot cheaper thank shipping.

Being an elite member, my bags usually come out sooner than non-elites. So, everyone else carrying (2) bags doesn't affect me.

However, what bothers me is that most people will do what they can to carry on only 1 bag to avoid the $25 service fee. Then, airlines can sell this space for freight shipments. This is great for generating income. I know this becuase at my job, we regularly ship items on commerical airlines at a hefty price to get it to our customers in time.

What's my point? I don't believe this is being done to save the passengers money, or streamline the loading process. It's being done to generate additional income at passenger's inconvenience. And, someone is probably going to get a big bonus this year for having the guts to go through with it.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Frankly, I do think CO and other airlines will move this way. But it doesn't really bother me. Most of my travel is for business and carry-on. Most of my leisure travel is short-term and carry-on. For longer travel I only check one bag. And I know I made the skiing comment earlier, but I've been renting skis the past few years instead of lugging my own, and I can get my boots into one big suitcase with my clothes. So still only one bag.

I really think they're going after a small segment that just likes to overpack. Or think flights to the Caribbean around Christmas...
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
US following now:

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080226?rpc=44
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:45 pm

I wonder which of the other two alliances will cave next. I'd go more for AA than for one of the Skyteam carriers..
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by otralot
Isn't that what FF programs are designed to do...Create loyalty?
Initially yes...today? hmm...not so sure anymore. Today it seems that it's more about selling miles to credit card companies.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage
when I first heard about this i thought "man this sucks" but then I thought more about it and figured that when do i travel by myself and check one bag, let alone 2? the only time this comes into play for me is an extended vacation with either my wife or myself and i bring the golf clubs. yes if you own your own skiis this presents a problem, but usually when my wife and i travel we pack our 25" with as much as possible (she can't ever carry on because of the make up and stupid TSA rules about liquids) and then i check the other bag (no sense in dragging the 21" on board if we're already checking one).

people just pack stupid....my wife packed one 29" suitcase for a 2 month trip to Spain in college...where these people get off bringing 12 bags on a trip is beyond me
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:32 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pahdz
my wife packed one 29" suitcase for a 2 month trip to Spain in college...where these people get off bringing 12 bags on a trip is beyond me
Try packing a 29" suitcase and keep it under the weight limit ... We have a 26" roll aboard we check for some longer international trips and we usually can not fill it up without it being overweight.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Beckles
Try packing a 29" suitcase and keep it under the weight limit ... We have a 26" roll aboard we check for some longer international trips and we usually can not fill it up without it being overweight.
the biggest problem for us is her makeup and crap weighs a ton...but we still get it done. you still can pack a 21" and carry on. we packed our largest bag (29 incher) for 5 days in Steamboat plus a 21 incher the 29" was under 50lbs
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: CO - Plat, NW - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Plat.
Will CO do it?

When the dust settles and it becomes part of what is considered normal CO will reduce the baggage allowance.

Remember the days when checked baggage was 70lbs x 2 bags. UA changed their allowance to 50 lbs x 2 bags and was the only airline for more than a year with the reduced allowance. When it became the norm and other airlines started to reduce the allowance we were told it was an FAA directive for safety reason. What had happened was UA had its lobbiest convince the NTSB to reduce the allowance - and used safety as the reason for it. Anything with safety attached will more than likely pass.

At the end of the day, CO will do it but may wait a while before implementing this rule.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by tincan
When it became the norm and other airlines started to reduce the allowance we were told it was an FAA directive for safety reason. What had happened was UA had its lobbiest convince the NTSB to reduce the allowance - and used safety as the reason for it.
If this is an FAA directive, then why does CO allow 70 lb bags for elites?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: CO - Plat, NW - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Plat.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
If this is an FAA directive, then why does CO allow 70 lb bags for elites?
It was a concession to the agreement. It was benefit to CO to have the baggage weight reduce and thus being able to move more cargo or burn less fuel on flight. CO turned it into a positive to its elite and F members.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by tincan
It was a concession to the agreement. It was benefit to CO to have the baggage weight reduce and thus being able to move more cargo or burn less fuel on flight. CO turned it into a positive to its elite and F members.
But what does this have to do with FAA directives? I haven't been able to find any links showing that this is an FAA thing, rather than a money grab by the airlines.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by pbarnette
But what does this have to do with FAA directives? I haven't been able to find any links showing that this is an FAA thing, rather than a money grab by the airlines.
I agree. Since when does the FAA tell airlines how much bags should weigh, how much they should charge for them, or even if they should charge for them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.