DELTA joins $25 2nd bag club - from 01MAY08

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

DELTA joins $25 2nd bag club - from 01MAY08

http://www.atwonline.com/news/other....=3%2F19%2F2008

DELTA is the 3rd US carrier announcing they'll be charging $25 for 2nd checked bag, starting 01MAY08.

In fact it'll be the first US carrier to implement this policy as UA/US' begins 05MAY08
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
slippery slope here we come.....
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Wirelessly posted (iPod: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I'm already looking forward to my next MD-88 segment. Good luck finding some overhead bin space. Perhaps this is why they started they red tags...
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
As long as it does not affect Medallion members, it won't have any affect on me.

I guess they will almost do anything for a buck these days.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:47 pm

Airlines need to make it clear the additional luggage charge is not only for 2nd bag but for 2nd bag period -- and charge DOUBLE for any attempt at carrying on a 2nd bag! -- and that should include elites as well. People need to learn to travel LIGHT. Ship your crap ahead and ship it back when you've finish your journey, either that or take Greyhound or stay home.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
It's not 'nickel & diming' anymore ....

According to the article linked in the base post, UA is trying to pass it off as 'ŕ la carte pricing'.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:02 am

Programs: S3
Nothing mentioned on the employee website so far...unless I missed it
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:21 am

If UA says it's a-la-carte pricing ... shouldn't we expect to see an across the board $25 decrease in all fares on roll-out day??

Not holding my breath waiting to see that happen.

Another step in the race to the bottom. I was truly hoping that Delta would be above this crap.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
Airlines need to make it clear the additional luggage charge is not only for 2nd bag but for 2nd bag period -- and charge DOUBLE for any attempt at carrying on a 2nd bag! -- and that should include elites as well. People need to learn to travel LIGHT. Ship your crap ahead and ship it back when you've finish your journey, either that or take Greyhound or stay home.
Bah! Check it, so they can lose it? Give me a break. 95% of the time, I don't check a single bag. I travel 6 months of the year, and my rollerboard and laptop bag are almost always sufficient. In fact, I'm able to bring on 3 carry-ons, but don't.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Bah! Check it, so they can lose it? Give me a break. 95% of the time, I don't check a single bag. I travel 6 months of the year, and my rollerboard and laptop bag are almost always sufficient. In fact, I'm able to bring on 3 carry-ons, but don't.
Good for you. But my biz trips are 5 days and a carry-on sized rollerboard will not hold enough clothes for such a trip. Be glad you have the luxury of not needing to check bags.

As far as shipping...(different post not quoted) if I were planning a vacation then shipping might be a good option. But if you fly home of Friday after a day of work and fly out again on Sunday just how is UPS or FedEx supposed to help?

As has been pointed out on the UA forum and the US forum, two smaller bags checked adding up to 50 pounds is easier for handlers to deal with than one BIG bag stuffed to 50 pounds. Policies such as this are just going to make handlers have to lift heavier bags, albeit probably a less number of bags.

Airlines are lemmings.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:43 am

I think if a carryon bag is oversize, they should gate check it and charge the $25. I'm tired of seeing people trying to stuff oversize bags into the overheads, taking up the room of 2 or 3 regulation size rollaboards because it has to go in sideways.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
The red tags would be a logical way of preventing people from trying to avoid the $25 charge by carrying-on their steamer trunks. But the red tags are only being used for internationa flights, no?

What is going to happen to Medallions? Are we going to be limited to 2 freebies, or still get 3?

"A la carte" pricing sounds a lot like what some of the LCC's are doing, such as SkyBus, RyanAir, AirAsia, all of which charge for checking bags, I believe. But I don't think they charge $25 each-way.

What are they going to do with RJ flights, where the overheads are so tiny you can't carry-on standard 22" rollaboards?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Welcome to the new Delta where they nickel and dime you to death.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Evan!
Good for you. But my biz trips are 5 days and a carry-on sized rollerboard will not hold enough clothes for such a trip. Be glad you have the luxury of not needing to check bags.
I'm in transit for a 5 week vacation. Guess how many bags I checked. None. I bring a weeks worth of stuff, and wash when needed. Unless you need a lot of suits, I think most people should be able to do the same.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I haven't seen it from any other news source....did someone find another source of this news?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.