Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never Newark or Continental Again!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Valerie's husband explained this upgrade request in an earlier post.

Valerie and her husband usually fly US, where it is possible to do an FC upgrade at check in or at the gate for $150 per passenger.

Clearly, such an upgrade does not exist on CO, so in essence Valerie and her husband were purchasing FC tickets at the gate, which is obviously a big thing to do (and expensive!) at the last second.

I did ask lvteacher to specify whether the GA explained to him that CO does not have revenue upgrades and that he was in essence buying five FC tickets, paying the difference between his current fare and the FC fare. lvteacher responded that no one informed him of this fact.

Clearly, this misunderstanding represents the crux of the whole incident. While it is obvious that lvteracher lost his temper, it might have been a heck of a lot simpler for the GA and Joe to explain the lack of revenue upgrades to lvteacher than to make them go through this entire process.
I'm sure as heck not gonna read the rest of this bloated thread, but since you seem very well immersed in the intricacies of it, I would like to know this:

1) Did the OP state "I would like to purchase revenue upgrades like US does for $150 each" or did he just assume?
2) If the OP did NOT state the above, then how would the CO GA know that this was their expectation?

After popping in and out of this thread for a while, it seems to me that OP had expectations that CO could not meet, GA didn't understand, lots of crossed wires + trying to get a flight out leads to frayed nerves all round, and there you have it.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
I'm sure as heck not gonna read the rest of this bloated thread, but since you seem very well immersed in the intricacies of it, I would like to know this:

1) Did the OP state "I would like to purchase revenue upgrades like US does for $150 each" or did he just assume?
2) If the OP did NOT state the above, then how would the CO GA know that this was their expectation?

After popping in and out of this thread for a while, it seems to me that OP had expectations that CO could not meet, GA didn't understand, lots of crossed wires + trying to get a flight out leads to frayed nerves all round, and there you have it.
I agree with all of this. It was a classic misunderstanding, which was fueled by frayed nerves on both sides.

OP should have understood something was radically different about an FC "upgrade" on CO when he was quoted the original cost of $519 per person.

Although I'm obviously not sure what exact terminology was used, GA might have ascertained that it was a little odd for a passenger to try to "upgrade" five FC seats at the gate, although I would readily admit that a CO employee is very unlikely to know the procedures for an FC upgrade at US.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Jul 3, 2007 at 2:55 pm
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:27 pm

Appearantly Coairtul you misunderstood me. Yes we had a good laugh because people tend to blow things out of proportion. Besides I was there during that incident so I know exactly what happened!
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by SKY MUFFIN
Besides I was there during that incident so I know exactly what happened!
Well?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:37 pm

I am going to let CO handle that appropriately. I believe if the OP gets denied boarding it's because the GA/FA/etc feels they are can be a safety threat on board. Safety has to be taken seriously now a days wether the GA and/or the OP are at fault.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I am going to let CO handle that appropriately. I believe if the OP gets denied boarding it's because the GA/FA/etc feels they are can be a safety threat on board. Safety has to be taken seriously now a days wether the GA and/or the OP are at fault.
Declining to divulge facts whilst implying that the passenger was a safety threat is a disingenuous rhetorical tactic. If you can't divulge any details, that's fine. However, refusing to divulge facts whilst simultaneously insinuating that the OP was dangerous, (perhaps criminal), by offering up a platitude such as "[s]afety has to be taken seriously now a days [sic]..." demonstrates poor form.

Last edited by Anglo Large Clawed Otter; Jul 3, 2007 at 3:49 pm Reason: grammar & syntax
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast

I made this exact point in post #132 (page 9). This thread is doubling back on itself.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Appearantly Coairtul you misunderstood me. Yes we had a good laugh because people tend to blow things out of proportion. Besides I was there during that incident so I know exactly what happened!
Being denied boarding is "blowing things out of proportion" by the OP?

Yikes. I hope I never have to deal with folks with that attitude.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Declining to divulge facts whilst implying that the passenger was a safety threat is a disingenuous rhetorical tactic. If you can't divulge any details, that's fine. However, refusing to divulge facts whilst simultaneously insinuating that the OP was dangerous, (perhaps criminal), by offering up a platitude such as "[s]afety has to be taken seriously now a days [sic]..." demonstrates poor form.
I agree. And if Sky Muffin's an eye witness, I think it's fine to report it here. It's not hearsay, and this is not a courtroom.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Sky Muffin: Since you were there and an eye witness, explain to me what my three teenagers (National Honor Society, AP students) did to be a "safety threat on board"? Did you notice that these three kids did not say ONE word to any Continental employee? What criteria were used to determine that they were a threat? Perhaps, their size? One is 5'2" and 115 pounds.

Valerie
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA MP
Safety has to be taken seriously now a days wether the GA and/or the OP are at fault.
If the GA is at fault, how in the heck can that justify denying boarding?

Please elaborate on what this family did to pose a safety concern. If one member of the family was deemed to be a concern because he was being verbally abusive, does that justify in your mind the denial of boarding to the other members of the family, who ALLEGEDLY at this point were actually silent.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:07 pm

Am I the only one who finds the appearance of this new FT member, who turns out not only to know "Joe" but also to actually have been a firsthand eyewitness to the original event, highly suspicious.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:15 pm

Post #143, first post in the thread, three days after the thread was started:
Do you really want me to reply to this? I think this whole thread is ridiculous..
I am not going to defend anyone, I know from past exp that the GA can be a little nasty and rude, however the passengers are no angels themselves!!!!
Maybe a post like "Wow, I was actually there! I saw everything! Here's my take on what happened..." would be anticiapted?

Post #191, second post in the thread:
I know Joe. I showed him this thread. Just another day in EWR.
Thanks, we had a good laugh!

And now, post #212, his/hers third post:
Nice progression in these posts, no?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lvteacher
Sky Muffin: Since you were there and an eye witness, explain to me what my three teenagers (National Honor Society, AP students) did to be a "safety threat on board"?

Valerie
sorry Val, but if your kids are NHS,AP students or even got perfect SAT scores of 1600 is Meaningless.

Heck isnt the UK rounding up Doctors!! who were trying to set off Bombs to Kill 100s of people.

Were everyone on the same PNR? even if not the agent saw all 5 of You as 1 , and decided its All or None. I guess the agent wanted to make sure that there wouldnt be any distrubance once the plane was airborne at least in regards to this episode.

I dont blame the agent for denying boarding to everyone once they decided that your husband wasnt gonna be flying on CO.

It just might turn out to be costly to CO $$ wise, but I do believe in deny 1 deny all of the same party
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:23 pm

Sky Muffin is clearly a CO employee and perhaps Joe himself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.