Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Plan B for Standard BusinessFirst Award Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plan B for Standard BusinessFirst Award Travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by timbre
OK, I read through this whole thread and thought to myself that rather than keep checking every day to see if a BF seat has opened up for my flights that I would try and book the coach saver with a BF saver pass miles and waitlist it. I am PLAT so it should have a good chance of clearing even though the seat is not for me.

I am headed to EZE but not until March of 2010 so I don't think they have even opened up any Saver pass BF seats yet.

I checked to make sure everything was available online as a coach saver seat and to my surprise it was. I was on the phone with a CSR for about 30 minutes, but she seemed to know what she was doing -- although I did have to explain it very clearly and she put me on and off of hold about 3 or 4 times.

Just got off the phone and it took about 30 minutes total and she claims it is all set up. I am looking online now and indeed it is. So far, so good.

I will update the forum as my waitlists clear (I hope). It may not be for a while though.

Thank you OP for highlighting this as an option -- I had never really thought about it. This is a great perk for elites.
UPDATE -- checked the itinerary today and it looked like it had cleared the whole outbound segment -- both domestic and international. However, when I called the CSR, she claims it only cleared in the domestic segment on the outbound. AND -- this is my favorite part -- it will only allow her to confirm when the international part clears. This seems very weird ... but I am along way from the travel dates, so I will just go with it for now.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:45 am

Another quick update

UPDATE -- checked the itinerary today and it looked like it had cleared the whole outbound segment -- both domestic and international. However, when I called the CSR, she claims it only cleared in the domestic segment on the outbound. AND -- this is my favorite part -- it will only allow her to confirm when the international part clears. This seems very weird ... but I am along way from the travel dates, so I will just go with it for now.
OK, quick update ... check the itinerary today and the entire outbound segment had clear. On the return the domestic has cleared, but the international has not.

I will update when/if it does.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:25 pm

BEWARE - Plan B Anomaly in *A transition

This one is amazing ... OK ... some background ... back in May of 2009 I booked a roundtrip to EZE using Plan B. Reserved in coach saver and waitlisted the BF seats.

BF cleared for the outbound back in August and just cleared TODAY for the return.

I called the Plat desk to clean everything up. She mumbles something about a supervisor and puts me on hold. She comes about a few minutes later to explain that in the transition from Skyteam to *A they changed the awards and that the award I was on is no longer valid. They have to reissue the ticket to put everything in sync (this I do not understand -- but there are lots of things about reservation systems I do not understand) ... anyway, the Supervisor told her that it could not be done without using the new 100K mileage award and not the 90K old award.

Frankly, it was not really worth arguing over 10K miles, but it just seemed totally stupid and an artifact of their system that they could not handle this properly. So, of course, I argued ... the CSA actually said she agreed with me. I then said I would call back in the morning and talk with another agent.

She said, if you dont mind holding, I will call another supervisor -- see even the CSAs know that if you dont get the right answer the first time, try calling again. This time she came back and said "this supervisor figured out a way to do it" ... you are all set.

SO a HAPPY ENDING ... but beware if you are using this Plan under the old miles ... it may take a couple calls to get it all figured out.

Alls well that ends well ...
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:16 pm

Another Question About Plan B

Does any one know if it is possible to book one routing in coach saver using a BF award, but waitlist a different routing in BF?

In other words, if I wanted to go from IAH to EZE, but the only coach saver awards were IAH to PTY to EZE ... is it possible to book the coach saver with the IAH to PTY to EZE routing with a BF award and waitlist the IAH to EZE in BF?

Anyone tried this?

Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Does any one know if it is possible to book one routing in coach saver using a BF award, but waitlist a different routing in BF?

In other words, if I wanted to go from IAH to EZE, but the only coach saver awards were IAH to PTY to EZE ... is it possible to book the coach saver with the IAH to PTY to EZE routing with a BF award and waitlist the IAH to EZE in BF?

Anyone tried this?

Thanks.
In general it is (I think) possible to booked confirm space on one routing and then put in a waitlist for J on another, assuming the waitlisted flight is operated by CO.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:08 pm

Plan B Waitlist -- better I or O

I just booked a Plan B ticket and I noticed that the CSR waitlisted me in I class. In the past, it has been O class. I am Platinum ... is it better to be waitlisted in I or O class?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by J.Edward
In general it is (I think) possible to booked confirm space on one routing and then put in a waitlist for J on another, assuming the waitlisted flight is operated by CO.
yes. this is true, but it is unlikely to work for Plan B unless the waitlisted flight was leaving prior to the confirmed flight and you had time to board the confirmed flight if your Plan B upgrade didn't come through,
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
I just booked a Plan B ticket and I noticed that the CSR waitlisted me in I class. In the past, it has been O class. I am Platinum ... is it better to be waitlisted in I or O class?
As I understand it they're two main subsets of of BF inventory: the standard reward available to anyone (I) and the special subset of J awards available only to Plats (O).

So yes, in this case I think you're waitlisted under the best option.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
As I understand it they're two main subsets of of BF inventory: the standard reward available to anyone (I) and the special subset of J awards available only to Plats (O).

So yes, in this case I think you're waitlisted under the best option.
So, that would imply that they release inventory into I before O ... interesting. I would have expected the opposite -- but then again I thankfully don't think like an airline company.

Can anyone confirm that this is true by experience?

Last edited by timbre; Mar 4, 2010 at 7:06 am
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

So, that would imply that they release inventory into I before O ... interesting. I would have expected the opposite -- but then again I thankfully don't think like an airline company.

Can anyone confirm that this is true by experience?
I don't know if O's a subset of I (doubt it) but I do think that CO will first release saver inventory to O, then to I, but again that's just a guess.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
very informative!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:52 am
Suspended

Has Bitten the Dust!

I made a res for SaverPass in Coach since BF wasnt available , I called up and asked that they pull 115k instead og 75k.

This morning when I looked at my acct I saw only 75k was taken out yet Im still Waitlisted.

Just got off with the Plat line and seems a couple of weeks ago things changed , now no more redepositing wil be necessary to switch between Coach & BF. But she did say the WL will be dropped @ T-24. So when I explained why I wanted the 115k to be taken for the possibility of getting the seat at the Airport as a Displaced BF passenger she acknowledged that wont be possible the way things have been redone

So it seems Plan B is now Dead & Gone , and with the direction Jeff seems to be taking CO so will I be UA 40k so far in '10, CO 0k
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:31 am

Maybe we can get CO Insider to confirm any changes to this policy/benefit.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm surprised by the agents statement as I was discussing a possible Plan B redemption with an agent last week and they were going to issue it but couldn't find the inventory I needed.

With a 1-1 tie in agent roulette I suppose we need some more authoritative confirmation of the plan's demise before we give up on it.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm surprised by the agents statement as I was discussing a possible Plan B redemption with an agent last week and they were going to issue it but couldn't find the inventory I needed.

With a 1-1 tie in agent roulette I suppose we need some more authoritative confirmation of the plan's demise before we give up on it.
well I had an agent change it on Thurs night to the 115k although I was booked in Saver Coach, purchased on Fri and when I looked at it last night saw that only 75k was taken out of my acct.

which led to todays call and being told things have changed in the last couple of weeks.

My waitlists for BF still appear and if I change dates or routing no reissue has to be done any longer, and for now on in if and when the waitlist clears CO will go in and take out the additional miles needed. Which wasnt the way it was done till now, so basically they set it up where if You havent cleared by T-24 you will be SOL on getting out of Y

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.