Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Plan B for Standard BusinessFirst Award Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plan B for Standard BusinessFirst Award Travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by friedablass
Hi! I am new to flyertalk and have a question about the BF waitlist. My husband and I are flying EWR-TLV and back at the end of this month. My husband's ticket was purchased using mileage. We paid 100,000 miles for the roundtrip in BF, but he was put on the waitlist for the return flight since there were no standard BF seats available. (Agent said if we don't get the BF seat we would get 15k miles back.) I purchased an economy ticket for myself and used miles to upgrade each segment. Again, I was put on the waitlist for the return. Does anyone have experience with these waitlists? How many days before the flight do people start clearing the waitlist? As of today there are 19 BF seats available (if the seating chart on CO is accurate) and the return flight is only 3 weeks away. What are my chances for snagging two of those seats? Also, in case we don't clear the waitlist can we still use plan B for one or both of us?
I would appreciate any help I can get with this matter.
Thanks!!
I don't know about your chance. TLV routes are often full with paid customers in BF.

For your husband, if his account has already been deducted 100,000 miles, he's already on Plan B. Nothing else he can do but wait, hope and pray.

"Plan B" is only for awards that use miles only. It does not apply to you, who're on mileage upgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Smile

Hi! I had wanted to thank you immediately for your response, but did not get around to it. Now that I have another question I finally was able to do so!!
Here's the question: I have been finally been cleared for an upgrade on the return flight (as you will remember I purchased an economy ticket and used miles for upgrade), however, my husband who is on an all mileage ticket is still waitlisted. I was originally told by continental that the list clears by elite status first and then by order of request - my husband was on the list for a couple of days before I even requested my own upgrade. When I called continental now, the rep. told me that what I was told about the order of clearing the waitlist was not true. In any case, what do we do to put my husband on standby the day of departure in case my husband doesn't get cleared 24 hours prior to departure?
I really appreciate all the help we can receive in this area as I really want us both to fly in business together.
Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
In any case, what do we do to put my husband on standby the day of departure in case my husband doesn't get cleared 24 hours prior to departure?
J.Edward explained the process very clearly with step by step instructions what to do at the airport in Post #1 at the top of this very thread. Re-read it. Memorize it. Print it out...
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:57 pm

Thanks. Just one more question: Can you do plan B if you do not have elite status, or is it only for elites?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
I was originally told by continental that the list clears by elite status first and then by order of request - my husband was on the list for a couple of days before I even requested my own upgrade.
It may help you to think of the upgrade process and the reward ticket process as being completely different than each other...admittedly many of the terms and phrasing are the same but the two process are fundamentally different.

When I called continental now, the rep. told me that what I was told about the order of clearing the waitlist was not true.
Your husband should be on a waitlist for a standard J reward seat. The 'eliteness' of your husband will be determined by the account that provided the miles and disregard any status held by your husband (or at least I think that's the way it works.)

Thus in turn if the miles for your husband came from a Plat account, he will be considered a Plat for the purposes of waitlisting regardless of the elite status of your husband.

If there are multiple people waitlisting for a standard J reward than the computer will first look to see the status of the various people (again based on the status of the funding OnePass account) followed by the time the person was placed on the waitlist.

In any case, what do we do to put my husband on standby the day of departure in case my husband doesn't get cleared 24 hours prior to departure?
You have to alert the ground staff of your situation. Be sure to read the initial posting and follow the tips therein (e.g. don't mention the word upgrade and explain how the hubby is a displaced J customer). If the ground staff balks be sure to have the reference codes so they can read up the correct policy.

Good luck!
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Thanks. Just one more question: Can you do plan B if you do not have elite status, or is it only for elites?
I *think* anyone can do it as long as the are using OnePass miles (DL & NW miles won't work IIRC.)
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:15 pm

Smile

Once again, I appreciate your help. The onepass account that was used to get my husbands ticket does not have elite status (since the mileage was primearily from using the chase onepass credit card which does not count towards elite status). But, from your previous answer, I see that you believe that plan B can still be done for non-elites. I will definitely print out post #1 to be used in case of emergency!
Another question: Since I am pretty new to flyertalk, I don't understand what a standard J reward is. On the flight segment that my husband is being waitlisted on it says Fare Class: BusinessFirst (E). Please clarify.
Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by J.Edward
I *think* anyone can do it as long as the are using OnePass miles (DL & NW miles won't work IIRC.)
DL it takes 140k for the BF CO to TLV, NW might be the same. Tried doing this a yr ago and seems ST agreed with CO to view BF as F. what will happen when DL gets its BE as all lie-flats we have to wait and see
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

...Since I am pretty new to flyertalk, I don't understand what a standard J reward is. On the flight segment that my husband is being waitlisted on it says Fare Class: BusinessFirst (E). Please clarify.
Thanks.
No worries -- it's confusing.

As a customer I know of three ways to find myself sitting in a BF seat.

1. Purchase a J fare (i.e. buy a BusinessFirst (BF) ticket...J = common slang if you will for a BF seat)
2. Purchase a Y fare and then use miles to upgrade (just as J denotes a BF ticket, Y denotes an economy ticket)
3. Redeem a BF reward with miles

That said while every BF seat is the same CO employees many 'subclasses' (or fare buckets) to help with inventory control.

In the case of paid BF the classes are as follows (from most expensive to least expensive): J, D, Z, R

For example if I were to buy a BF ticket there are several options of subclasses I can book into depending upon what I want. If I want a fully flexible and refundable ticket I would book in J - as J is the 'master' BF class. Likewise if I wanted a cheap BF ticket and did not care about being able to change it or refund it I might book into the Z or R classes.

Just as there are paid fare buckets there are also reward fare buckets.

For upgrades the fare bucket is F and for rewards the fare bucket is E (or in some special cases EN...but this does not apply to your situation).

Anyways the airline will want to sell as many paid tickets as possible and will only release a certain number of seats for upgrades or rewards. In your example you used miles to upgrade (thus you needed an BF seat to be released into the F fare bucket) and your hubby needs a seat in the 'E' fare bucket in order for him to clear the waitlist.

Just because CO releases a seat to the F bucket (for upgrades) does not mean that same seat will also be released to the E bucket (for rewards)...or vice versa.

Likewise the waitlist for the F bucket (upgrades) is kept separate E bucket (rewards). However the cool thing about Plan B (using a reward that is) is the customer can standby for the front cabin after the 24 hour mark...something upgraders cannot do.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:03 pm

Yes, that helped a lot. Thanks so much.
When I called continental, the rep. did tell me that there are 3 types of ways of getting BF seats - exactly what you said. She also told me that if a reward seat does not clear within 24 hours of departure, there is still a possibility of BF seats flying empty since they may have been in the 'cash seats' category and nobody bought them with money - so even if nobody bought them they wouldn't all of a sudden be available for a person on a reward waitlist and it would remain empty. Is that true? And if so, is this where Plan B works?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Yes, that helped a lot. Thanks so much.
When I called continental, the rep. did tell me that there are 3 types of ways of getting BF seats - exactly what you said. She also told me that if a reward seat does not clear within 24 hours of departure, there is still a possibility of BF seats flying empty since they may have been in the 'cash seats' category and nobody bought them with money - so even if nobody bought them they wouldn't all of a sudden be available for a person on a reward waitlist and it would remain empty. Is that true? And if so, is this where Plan B works?
That is Exactly where and when Plan B should be put into action.

Now getting them to acknowledge this at TLV might not be so easy

J E is there a way to have 1P make a note on the PNR that Plan B as we call it is Legit and that TLV (or any other station) should therefore go ahead and place the passenger into BF as they are a displaced BF passenger and its Not an upgrade. I feel if someway we can get such a note placed onto the PNR it would make it alot easier to accomplish
Old Nov 19, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by craz
I feel if someway we can get such a note placed onto the PNR it would make it alot easier to accomplish
This would seem to be a really good idea. Given the complexity of Plan B, and the likely lack of familiarity about it among gate agents, it is not at all hard to imagine that agents could give passengers the complete brush off without some "flag" somewhere in the record. This could potentially benefit both agent and passenger.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I am 99.9% certain that the Plan B flight has to be on all CO metal, so they are correct on that part. I don't see why the outbound half of the itinerary should have to be, but I'm also not a CO CSR, so I'm sure they have a reason.
Was anyone able to confirm this? I am facing a similar situation. I have confirmed J on DL on the outbound, and only standard Y availale on CO on the return.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
The Plan B was explained to me by a CO agent recently. It appears to be fairly well understood by the elite line agents. Because CO can only waitlist you for CO metal, Plan B is limited to CO flights. You can have reservations on any partner flights but the waitlist for BF can only be on CO flights. The same agent also told me that the mileage upgrade waitlist clears before the reward upgrade waitlist.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
The Plan B was explained to me by a CO agent recently. It appears to be fairly well understood by the elite line agents. Because CO can only waitlist you for CO metal, Plan B is limited to CO flights. You can have reservations on any partner flights but the waitlist for BF can only be on CO flights. The same agent also told me that the mileage upgrade waitlist clears before the reward upgrade waitlist.
Did the agent tell you the exact wording to use when approaching a continental check-in or gate concierge? Also, does anyone know the code to tell them for a tlv-ewr flight?
I can confirm that the upgrade waitlist clears before the reward waitlist - I just had that experience where I cleared first on the upgrade waitlist while my husband is still "waiting" and he went onto the waiting list a couple of days before me.
I also had a weird experience regarding my return upgrade. I was waitlisted on the 10th of November and cleared a week later. Today I checked my reservation and saw that my upgrade was gone, and I was seated back in economy - the 30k miles were not given back and I was charged the fee. I called CO and was told my travel agent (Expedia) cancelled!! It's just so weird to me that something like that would be done by Expedia - I could not believe it!! When CO realized this was some type of error, they agreed to help me, but all they were able to do was put me back on the waitlist. Now I have to be in suspense all over again!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.