Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Plan B for Standard BusinessFirst Award Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plan B for Standard BusinessFirst Award Travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by friedablass
Today I checked my reservation and saw that my upgrade was gone, and I was seated back in economy - the 30k miles were not given back and I was charged the fee. I called CO and was told my travel agent (Expedia) cancelled!!
Since you mentioned paying a fee, that tells me you didnt purchase a Full fare Y. I dont know what fare basis you did purchase, but I hope you know that alot of the discounted Y fares if not purchased on CO.com will earn you only 50% of the EQMs, I think you get the full amount in reg miles, but not sure on that.

Pretty Lame of Expedia to go and do something like that

Last edited by Xyzzy; Nov 23, 2007 at 8:06 am Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Nov 23, 2007, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
On expedia you cannot choose the booking class as on co.com - it automatically gives you the lowest economy fair and you find out the booking class after you buy the ticket - this is something I learned this time around.

I also don't believe CO that expedia cancelled my upgrade and they were just using it as some kind of excuse or cover-up. Why should it bother expedia that I used miles + a fee to upgrade a ticket purchased with them??!! I don't believe that someone over there called CO to cancel the return upgrade - I do still have the outbound upgrade since that wasn't touched. This whole situation is weird to me and I'm wondering if I can "demand" that CO give me back my BF seat since there was some kind of error on their part.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Contact CO insider and he can review the PNR and all changes made to it previously.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:27 pm

To "B" or not to "B"

I am facing a situation where plan "B" could be used, and I wanted to consult everyone here about other options.

I am flying EWR-CDG/LHR-EWR (I can return either from LHR or CDG, but not LGW). I was able to get confirmed businessFirst seat on the outbound, but nothing nonstop on the return. Here are my options:

1. Plan B - Confirming a standard econ seat reward CDG-EWR on CO and hope for the best

2. Stand by on AF - is that allowed? I was able to get a confirmed business class seat on AF CDG-PHL and coach seat on DL PHL-JFK. Since this routing adds about 4 hours to my trip, i am not really interested in using it, but I am hoping that having a confirmed J seat on AF CDG-PHL will enable me to stand by for the nonstop CDG-EWR or CDG-JFK. Does anyone have any experience with this approach?

3. Same as #2 only on VS from LHR. Confirmed routing LHR-IAD in J and IAD-EWR in Y (leaving LHR at 12pm). Will they let me stand by for the 2pm nonstop?

What would you do?

Last edited by eyal; Nov 26, 2007 at 3:43 pm
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Just to update all those who gave me such wonderful advice in this thread: Thankfully, my husband and I both cleared the waitlist in advance, so although I had printed out 'Plan B' to use just in case, there was no use for it and we both enjoyed our 12 1/2 hour flight in BF.
If others have used Plan B and were successful it would be appreciated if they can post their "success stories" for others to see and learn from.
Happy Holidays to all and thanks again!!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Thumbs down

Called up OnePass Elite Reservations to do a Plan B ticketing but agent says that they are not allowed to waitlist you in a different class of service (EN) when there is only YN seats available even after I gave her the (onewai in DRS and reference line 154 ) line at ticketing and this waitlisting for a different class of service can only take place before ticketingm i.e. I can be on the waitlist for saver BF and have a confirmed YN seat only until ticketing occurs. Then after ticketing, if the waitlist has not cleared they would be removed.

Luckily for me, the waitlists were not removed at ticketing and lo and behold after 2 weeks, my BF waitlist naturally cleared.

Not sure if I spoke to an untrained agent (she says she's been there for over 10 years so she knows all the rules). But this really begs the question if that onewai reference number can only be seen by airport staff and not @ OnePass Reservations ...
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by ultrasoul
Called up OnePass Elite Reservations to do a Plan B ticketing but agent says that they are not allowed to waitlist you in a different class of service (EN) when there is only YN seats available even after I gave her the (onewai in DRS and reference line 154 ) line at ticketing and this waitlisting for a different class of service can only take place before ticketingm i.e. I can be on the waitlist for saver BF and have a confirmed YN seat only until ticketing occurs. Then after ticketing, if the waitlist has not cleared they would be removed.

Luckily for me, the waitlists were not removed at ticketing and lo and behold after 2 weeks, my BF waitlist naturally cleared.

Not sure if I spoke to an untrained agent (she says she's been there for over 10 years so she knows all the rules). But this really begs the question if that onewai reference number can only be seen by airport staff and not @ OnePass Reservations ...
It should be clear from Post #1 in this thread that Plan B works only if there's SaverPass coach award available. And what the Onepass agent tells you doesn't contradict that.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by rkkwan
It should be clear from Post #1 in this thread that Plan B works only if there's SaverPass coach award available. And what the Onepass agent tells you doesn't contradict that.
i think that's what i said- there was saverpass coach availability (YN) but anyway, everything worked out in the end ^
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by ultrasoul
i think that's what i said- there was saverpass coach availability (YN) but anyway, everything worked out in the end ^
YN is EasyPass coach award.

You need to have SaverPass (which used to be called "Standard") coach awards to do Plan B. They are G class (non-Elites), or GN (Elites)
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott-LT Titan; Hilton-Gold
I called back twice today on a reservation that I had made in coach but not yet ticketed and asked about BF avaialbility. They said it was not currently available. So I asked if I could redeem a BF reward even though it currently was not available and that hopefully a BF seat would open up for me. I mentioned onewai in DRS and reference line 154. Both rez agents told me "no- you cannot do that". Am I asking the wrong way or should I keep calling back in hopes of finding an agent that will know what I am talking about? Is it possible that this is no longer allowed. I am not Elite, would that have an impact now perhaps?

Last edited by MaxMiles; Apr 17, 2008 at 6:58 am
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott-LT Titan; Hilton-Gold
Called back 2 more times and finally found someone that would do it. Spent 25 minutes on hold as they and their supervisor maniupulated the rez but it worked. So I am on Plan B- now we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the knowledge sharing here. So much of ff mileage use takes a lot of work but this forum really helps people figure out how to make it work if they are willing to be persistent. I just wish it was easier!!!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:20 am

Moreover, Plan B is actually suggested at times by the website (when you book a connecting BF international ticket (e.g. AUS-IAH-LGW) and later find that you're only in F for the AUS-IAH portion but Y for the overwater flight). Many people assume the airline is trying to put the screws to them but the opposite is true; the customer can waitlist for F overwater, standby at the airport for the IAH-LGW segment and even if s/he flies F AUS-IAH but Y overwater, a refund of the J-->Y mileage difference will be due.
I actually have the opposite situation and want to know if I can still use Plan B - I redeemed two BF awards (IAH-EWR-CDG and LGW-CLE-IAH). Everything cleared in F (well, EWR-CDG in BF, return all in "regular", non-BF, F) except for IAH-EWR. The agent said Mr. McD and I are waitlisted for F on the initial segment and I had her split our PNR's to increase the chance we'd clear. If we don't clear before our flight, can we go the "displaced F passenger" route? It seems like we should be able to, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Also, yes, I realize that IAH-EWR is an elite-heavy route...Mr and I are both silvers, but we'd clear first as we've already "paid" for F, right? Our flight to EWR is at 10 am on a random Tuesday at the end of August, so I'm hoping it won't be full of paying F's.

Thanks so much for the help!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I believe you can waitlist at the airport as, "PR1." In addition to paid F, you're trumped by YUP - which is heavy on this route.

Good luck
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by AngelMcD
Everything cleared in F...except for IAH-EWR.
Just to understand - you have redeemed four BF awards: two (one for you and one for the hubby) are for IAH-EWR-CDG and the other two are for IAH-CLE-LGW; all segments are in F/J except the first segment on the IAH-EWR-CDG reservation and you want to know the rules & regulations on standing by.

If that's correct than than you and the hubby will have priority over EUAs and at the airport for the "upgrade" to F (technically it's not an upgrade, but that's besides the point) and as mbreuer correctly notes: both of you should be on the PR1 list.

Finally, you might also want to call back into CO and waitlist for the n/s flights out of IAH (unless of course you particularly want to transit in EWR or CLE). The waitlist just puts you on 'the list' should a BF reward seat materialize. I do not know how multiple people on a reservation (i.e. you and the hubby) would affect you waitlist chances but you might have better luck clearing if you're on separate reservations. The risk is that only 1 of you may clear.

For the IAH-CLE-LGW ticket it should be an issue (the reservation would show your confirmed segments via CLE and the waitlist for the n/s) and for your IAH-EWR-CDG I think you can waitlist for the n/s IAH-CDG and waitlist for F on the IAH-EWR leg (but you might want to double check that).

Hope that helps
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mbreuer
I believe you can waitlist at the airport as, "PR1." In addition to paid F, you're trumped by YUP - which is heavy on this route.

Good luck
Aaah, that sucks. I thought we'd rank higher than YUP. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.