Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Plan B for Standard BusinessFirst Award Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plan B for Standard BusinessFirst Award Travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:30 am

Just to understand - you have redeemed four BF awards: two (one for you and one for the hubby) are for IAH-EWR-CDG and the other two are for IAH-CLE-LGW; all segments are in F/J except the first segment on the IAH-EWR-CDG reservation and you want to know the rules & regulations on standing by.
I think we technically only redeemed two awards (2 BF RT's), but the gist of what you're saying is correct.

Finally, you might also want to call back into CO and waitlist for the n/s flights out of IAH (unless of course you particularly want to transit in EWR or CLE). The waitlist just puts you on 'the list' should a BF reward seat materialize. I do not know how multiple people on a reservation (i.e. you and the hubby) would affect you waitlist chances but you might have better luck clearing if you're on separate reservations. The risk is that only 1 of you may clear.
I thought about this, but wasn't sure if we were willing to take the risk of having only one of us clear...Hubby and I will have to decide if we think it's worth it (though we are looking forward to checking out some PC's for the first time!).

Thanks for the help - it is greatly appreciated!
Old May 1, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by AngelMcD
Aaah, that sucks. I thought we'd rank higher than YUP. Thanks for the heads up, though!
In a nutshell, YUP comes from "A" inventory, PR1 from "F".
Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: Maker's Mark Ambassador
No Elite = No Waitlist ?

My wife is a "standard" OnePass member who used her miles to get TATL BF seats, but both domestic legs (in/outbound) ticketed in coach.

Am I correct in understanding that, since she isn't an Elite, she cannot waitlist for dom F and can only standby at the airport before departure (as two different agents told me) ?

On a related note, since she is flying TATL but both domestic legs are currently in coach, when will she find out whether she gets F on the inbound domestic leg ? When she makes her connection at EWR or when she starts her trip 8 hours earlier on the other side of the ocean ?
Old May 26, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
BF waitlist "closed" over 2 months in advance?

So here's a scenario that I could not find any info on, except for some posts from quite a few years ago.

I used plan B for a reward booking and the agent seemed to be familiar with the concept and set up the rewards. I got a confirmed seat up front for the outbound, but there was only a Y saverpass for the return. So I asked to be waitlisted and she set everything up as expected. When I hung up she had told me that everything was in order, but I noticed the waitlist segments were not showing up online. When I called back today I got another agent who understood the concept, but when she read the notes from the previous call, it said that the waitlist was apparently already "closed" and they could not put me on it. She hit the same problem when she tried to add me herself.

This lady seemed to know some extra tricks and the way I have the ticket booked now is for the full 100k miles, but I'm not yet on a waitlist (it was suggested that I keep calling back to try to get added). She made sure to document everything so that I could get my 25k miles back if nothing works. If course I'd prefer to get the seat, but at least my bases should be covered.

Has anyone encountered a waitlist being closed this early (flight is July 31). I thought it was possible to waitlist on any flight up to the 24hr mark? It just might not clear if there aren't enough seats. I intend to call back to talk to another person, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight.
Old May 26, 2009, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
Has anyone encountered a waitlist being closed this early (flight is July 31). I thought it was possible to waitlist on any flight up to the 24hr mark?
This might best be a question for CO Insider but I have never *personally* seen this happen with a reward. I have seen similar issues when people are trying to standby for an upgrade but I don't know if that relates to this.

Another good question would be if you can't get on the waitlist - for whatever reason - and you check in, where do you fall in the standby priority scheme (i.e. in front / behind people using miles to upgrade revenue fares.)

Two more things: if you clear the domestic segments but fail to clear the international one, you should still be eligible for the full 25k back to your account (or 50k if you don't clear the BF leg on both the outbound or the return.) Secondly, have you looked for confirmable space on a partner as I believe you can waitlist for CO metal (assuming the waitlist is open) while confirming a J seat on another carrier.

For example let's say you wanted to go EWR-MXP but there was no J rewards on the CO n/s. You could book EWR -VS- LHR -AZ- MXP and then put in a waitlist request for the EWR-MXP non-stop. That way you've got a guaranteed J seat and should something open up on the CO flight in the interim, you'll already be in line to confirm it.
Old May 26, 2009, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Has anyone encountered a waitlist being closed this early (flight is July 31). I thought it was possible to waitlist on any flight up to the 24hr mark? It just might not clear if there aren't enough seats. I intend to call back to talk to another person, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight.
There was another recent thread about this (though I am too lazy & drunk on rum punch to bother searching for it). PM CO Insider with your PNR and the details and he'll look in to the issue. There should not be issues with waitlists being reported as closed by the agents.
Old May 27, 2009, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Here's the post sbm12 refers to:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l#post11791191
Old May 28, 2009, 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

When I called back to finalize ticketing the other agent was able to add me to the WL for the J seats after all. So all is well and I didn't even need to bug CO Insider (unless he or someone else fixed it behind the scenes w/o telling us).
Old May 29, 2009, 4:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Thanks for all the replies!

When I called back to finalize ticketing the other agent was able to add me to the WL for the J seats after all. So all is well and I didn't even need to bug CO Insider (unless he or someone else fixed it behind the scenes w/o telling us).
I wish you would PM CO Insider because he specifically said he wants to know if it happens. It happened to me and it took several weeks for the waitlist to "open". There's at least one or two other people this happened to.
Old May 29, 2009, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore
I wish you would PM CO Insider because he specifically said he wants to know if it happens. It happened to me and it took several weeks for the waitlist to "open". There's at least one or two other people this happened to.
Alright, I sent CO Insider a message with my PNR so that he can look into it.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
OK, I read through this whole thread and thought to myself that rather than keep checking every day to see if a BF seat has opened up for my flights that I would try and book the coach saver with a BF saver pass miles and waitlist it. I am PLAT so it should have a good chance of clearing even though the seat is not for me.

I am headed to EZE but not until March of 2010 so I don't think they have even opened up any Saver pass BF seats yet.

I checked to make sure everything was available online as a coach saver seat and to my surprise it was. I was on the phone with a CSR for about 30 minutes, but she seemed to know what she was doing -- although I did have to explain it very clearly and she put me on and off of hold about 3 or 4 times.

Just got off the phone and it took about 30 minutes total and she claims it is all set up. I am looking online now and indeed it is. So far, so good.

I will update the forum as my waitlists clear (I hope). It may not be for a while though.

Thank you OP for highlighting this as an option -- I had never really thought about it. This is a great perk for elites.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.

Yes. I booked two weeks ago and got the "waitlist closed" for a flight in late September. They also suggested that I just keep calling back. So that is what I am doing.
Old May 29, 2009, 2:27 pm

Alright, I sent CO Insider a message with my PNR so that he can look into it.
Got a response from CO Insider and he is still very much interested in specific examples of the "closed waitlist" problem. It's apparently a difficult bug to track down. So as has been said before, if you encounter this problem shoot CO Insider your PNR to help with the debug.
Old May 29, 2009, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DragonPhish
Yes. I booked two weeks ago and got the "waitlist closed" for a flight in late September. They also suggested that I just keep calling back. So that is what I am doing.
Don't do it this way. Send your PNR to CO Insider and they'll fix it for you and try to figure out why it remains broken in general.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Any new wrinkles in Plan B?

Yea! I got a very good agent (who was willing to learn) book my wife and daughter on a Plan B ticket. Going to Italy, they are in Y with no BF upgrade requested (or desired), coming back to EWR from FCO, they are confirmed in Y with BF waitlisted, and the correct miles (75,000 each) deducted from my Plat account. The total looks like this on the receipt "150,000/CS6M-DG6."

Are there any new wrinkles or references in terminology such as "displaced first class customer," request to be put on "standby list," sonic reference "gg onestandby" and lines 85-89, that have changed since the Plan B FAQ was written?

Hopefully, they clear before the 24 hour mark and I don't have to deal with FCO agents, but I want to be sure I know what to say.

Thanks, HughW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.